Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Did well to finish top 10. But again his play around the green was his undoing, he ranked 82 in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Dav010 wrote: »
    Did well to finish top 10. But again his play around the green was his undoing, he ranked 82 in this.

Fair dues to you Dav010 that might be the most complimentary you've ever been of him. Keep up the objectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    Fair dues to you Dav010 that might be the most complimentary you've ever been of him. Keep up the objectivity.

Lol, behind it all he’s a Rory fan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

I've been a big supporter of Rory on this thread but lets not get carried away with a top 10 - he was out of it after day one. Showed good fight to make the cut but far too many majors now he has scuppered his chances on the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

This is what Rory has done in majors over the last few years: finish well when he is out of contention and the pressure is off.

Wouldn’t be getting carried away about it TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

This is what Rory has done in majors over the last few years: finish well when he is out of contention and the pressure is off.

Wouldn’t be getting carried away about it TBH

You didn't see his last 9 holes on Friday then, or are you just choosing to ignore it, there was plenty of pressure and he showed mettle and bottle that many of his knockers claimed he didn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fullstop wrote: »
    Another top 10, playing like an amateur alright. LOL.

Yeah you are correct, he's much more of a Kuchar than an amateur.

Are people still going to trot out the line about most majors won in the last x years?
    Oh wait, Koepka has shown how you dominate in golf, despite people saying that no one will dominate like Tiger did...

Rory just doesn't have the mental game, when is in top form he is one of the best, but when he is not he immediately relegates himself to an also ran...is not a grinder.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    You didn't see his last 9 holes on Friday then, or are you just choosing to ignore it, there was plenty of pressure and he showed mettle and bottle that many of his knockers claimed he didn't have.

..........to make the cut. Wow :rolleyes:

..........to make the cut. Wow :rolleyes:

Yes, that's the cut that the GOAT Tiger missed??

19 Top 10 finishes in Majors at 30 years of age, not bad for someone mentaly weak with no fight.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah you are correct, he's much more of a Kuchar than an amateur.

Are people still going to trot out the line about most majors won in the last x years?
    Oh wait, Koepka has shown how you dominate in golf, despite people saying that no one will dominate like Tiger did...

Rory just doesn't have the mental game, when is in top form he is one of the best, but when he is not he immediately relegates himself to an also ran...is not a grinder.

Back to the all encompassing "mental game" that offers zero analysis of any actual flaws but masquerades as a critique.
    He's arguably the most consistent golfer this year, how that can be deemed to be the work of an also ran of any capacity is truly laughable.

How people continue to roll out the "mental game" as the problem yet if probed on what this means they simply ignore the question or offer poor analysis.
    Incredible this continues to be regurgitated

• Advertisement

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Yes, that's the cut that the GOAT Tiger missed??

19 Top 10 finishes in Majors at 30 years of age, not bad for someone mentaly weak with no fight.

Where did i say that?

Back to the all encompassing "mental game" that offers zero analysis of any actual flaws but masquerades as a critique.
    He's arguably the most consistent golfer this year, how that can be deemed to be the work of an also ran of any capacity is truly laughable.

How people continue to roll out the "mental game" as the problem yet if probed on what this means they simply ignore the question or offer poor analysis.
    Incredible this continues to be regurgitated

Ah, so you think he doesn't have the physical ability then?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Russman

Ahh c'mon, that's a bit of a leap Greebo.............

Where did i say that?

It's the narrative though among commentators to largely dismiss his performance in making the cut and focusing on what is deemed a failure.

If Tiger/Speith/DJ etc had been in a similarly precarious position basically on the precipice of missing the cut but managed to rectify it in the manner Rory did then the narrative around that would be different.

They would receive far greater praise than he did, on balance I will say that if/when Rory wins his next major, the analysis of his performance will paint him in a more aggrandized manner than most other players. "Tiger's heir once more" etc etc.

It comes with the territory of being a mercurial talent but even though I think he was lucky to make a Top 10 if you look objectively at both the play at the end of R2 and his Top 8 finish overall, one would have to say he played pretty well.

You love a good straw-man, consistent I'll give you that, obviously I didn't say that.
    No I'm open to the idea of issues around his mental faculty playing a role, similarly I'm open to physical elements too.

The problem with you and others saying ah he has "mental issues" is that it essentially offers nothing but noise, it's not a critique whatsoever while being generally vague and meaningless. Unfortunately that type of utterance has an audience though. Perhaps if you broke it down it might make some sense.

Where did i say that?

Where did you say what? I genuinely have no idea what I am being asked here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Lowry makes the cut on the number, has a good weekend and the general consensus is that he’s shown great mental strength to bounce back from adversity to make the top 10 and should be very proud. McIlroy does the exact same...”mentally weak”, “also ran” “can only do it when the pressure is off”, “plays like an amateur”, “plays like a Kuchar” (whatever the fook that means).

This place is funny :)

Lowry makes the cut on the number, has a good weekend and the general consensus is that he’s shown great mental strength to bounce back from adversity to make the top 10 and should be very proud. McIlroy does the exact same...”mentally weak”, “also ran” “can only do it when the pressure is off”, “plays like an amateur”, “plays like a Kuchar” (whatever the fook that means).

I suspect most would acknowledge that Lowry and Mcilroy are players of different callibre and differing expectations. Some golfers over achieve to place 10th in a major, other players might consider it an underachievement given their talent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Not really, even Rory's detractors admit he's the most talented on his day or when it suits.Lowrys a journeyman in comparison so there is a difference.

Lowry probably a bad example in this case but I think the sentiment is correct if you replace Lowry with Rose/DJ/Spieth etc.
    Even among guys of approx equal talent & achievement the narrative for better & worse is different around Rory.
    Whether it's success or failure, the narrative is more hyperbolic

Lowry probably a bad example in this case but I think the sentiment is correct if you replace Lowry with Rose/DJ/Spieth etc.
    Even among guys of approx equal talent & achievement the narrative for better & worse is different around Rory.
    Whether it's success or failure, the narrative is more hyperbolic

Probably the mercurial nature of his game, he can often be brilliant and downright awful in the same round/comp. This weekend is a perfect example, he was last in the field on day one and finished the comp ranked 82 (82 players made the cut) around the greens, yet he came roaring through the back 9 on Friday and finished -6 for the last 45 holes. Due to those huge, almost polar opposite swings in form, the narrative could only vacillate between awe and disappointment.

Am I still objective?

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Probably the mercurial nature of his game, he can often be brilliant and downright awful in the same round/comp. This weekend is a perfect example, he was last in the field on day one and finished the comp ranked 82 (82 players made the cut) around the greens, yet he came roaring through the back 9 on Friday and finished -6 for the last 45 holes. Due to those huge, almost polar opposite swings in form, the narrative could only vacillate between awe and disappointment.

Am I still objective?

I think that's a fair point but I don't particularly agree with it.
    I think there are other mercurial talents on tour who if they oscillated in the same manner as McIlroy in a given round/tournament, they would still not receive hyperbolic coverage that he gets.

So although I agree Rory's style feeds the narratives that arise to a certain degree, I think there are more factors involved that make them even more hyperbolic.

I think you're certainly far more objective in those 2 posts than I've previously noticed tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pissartist wrote: »
    Not really, even Rory's detractors admit he's the most talented on his day or when it suits.Lowrys a journeyman in comparison so there is a difference.

They're all extremely talented and I wouldn't have Rory head and shoulders above the rest, is he really more talented that DJ Fowler etc? No chance. Maybe with the driver certainly not with the flat stick.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

People are definitely overstating him showing mettle or bottle in making the cut, he was a million miles out of it and finally played some decent golf and made a few birdies to make the cut, played solid over the weekend and had a good T8 finish, he's way better than backing into top 10's in majors though, to me that will have been a big failure of a week for him and I've no doubt it's scant consolation to him too, he's in these to win them, comparing to Lowry is chalk and cheese too, a top 10 for Lowry would be seen as a great week, rightfuly so, but we're talking completely different levels of golfer here.

Russman wrote: »
    Ahh c'mon, that's a bit of a leap Greebo.............

Indeed, but its not my leap.
    It appears we are not allowed to say he has mental issues, so if its not mental, other than physical, whats left?
    Ergo, its mental.

I disagree. On his day, he is as good as a number of others. We have seen Koepha on his day, we've seen Stenson and Phil on their day, Molinari on his day. On their day, these lads are all unbelievable.

Do you think Rory and Shane have the same golfing ability?:confused:

He plays like a Kuchar, consistently top 10's, never really features bar the odd streaky week. Get it now?
    You love a good straw-man, consistent I'll give you that, obviously I didn't say that.
    No I'm open to the idea of issues around his mental faculty playing a role, similarly I'm open to physical elements too.

The problem with you and others saying ah he has "mental issues" is that it essentially offers nothing but noise, it's not a critique whatsoever while being generally vague and meaningless. Unfortunately that type of utterance has an audience though. Perhaps if you broke it down it might make some sense.

His mental issues have been expounded multiple times on here already, but you dismiss them time and time again.
    Golf is Physical and Mental. Clearly he has the physical ability ergo the problem is on the mental side. IF you disagree with that then either you dont like logic, or you think Rory McIlroy doesnt have the physical talent to play golf. I'll leave it up to you to let us know which.

He cant play his way out of a bad round, when it starts to go wrong, or even just doesnt start hot, he has a poor round. It used to be a 74, now its a 71 or 72, but its still a weakness. He doesnt like or cant accept playing a mediocre round of golf to keep himself in it, its all or nothing.
    When the pressure is off (miles outside the cutline or out of contention on a Sunday) he puts in a good round and gets himself a top ten, but he is not contending for majors with any degree of regularity these days.

His wedge play is generally terrible, which putts great pressure on his putting, which can also be suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Journeymen dont win WGCs and Rolex events.
    Journeymen tend to maybe win once in a career and hover between 50th and 100th on tour.

Lowry is a bit time player, with big wins. And more will follow. Yes there'll be slumps and lows, but his highs greatly outweigh those.

I disagree. On his day, he is as good as a number of others. We have seen Koepha on his day, we've seen Stenson and Phil on their day, Molinari on his day. On their day, these lads are all unbelievable.

Do you think Rory and Shane have the same golfing ability?:confused:

He plays like a Kuchar, consistently top 10's, never really features bar the odd streaky week. Get it now?

His mental issues have been expounded multiple times on here already, but you dismiss them time and time again.
    Golf is Physical and Mental. Clearly he has the physical ability ergo the problem is on the mental side. IF you disagree with that then either you dont like logic, or you think Rory McIlroy doesnt have the physical talent to play golf. I'll leave it up to you to let us know which.

He cant play his way out of a bad round, when it starts to go wrong, or even just doesnt start hot, he has a poor round. It used to be a 74, now its a 71 or 72, but its still a weakness. He doesnt like or cant accept playing a mediocre round of golf to keep himself in it, its all or nothing.
    When the pressure is off (miles outside the cutline or out of contention on a Sunday) he puts in a good round and gets himself a top ten, but he is not contending for majors with any degree of regularity these days.

His wedge play is generally terrible, which putts great pressure on his putting, which can also be suspect.

That must be a joke? You honestly think this passes as a deductive argument of logic?
    It appears we are not allowed to say he has mental issues, so if its not mental, other than physical, whats left?
    Ergo, its mental.

Wow if that what you think this passes as deductive logic then I'm at a complete loss. All your assertions are complete ill-supported conjecture.

You somehow think criticising the use of an incredibly vague term of no meaning in "mental issues" therefore means I think McIlroy not winning is due to "physical issues". We've clarified that's a reach at best and complete drivel at worst.

Even though I go on to clarify how your assertion that I think it's "physical" is wrong by explicitly stating that I'm open to the idea of mental frailty but I'd simply like some type of explanation of what the specific indicators are that make you believe that. You believe they've been expounded, please show me because I haven't seen them.

You still go ahead and make one of the poorest attempts I've seen at coming to a logical deductive conclusion, congrats on reaching a new level there, that can't have been easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ergo, its mental.
    Just about the silliest thing I've read today.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Just about the silliest thing I've read today.

Genuinely frightening if he believes that passes.

My issue with the all encompassing "mental game" is the simplification of complex issues allowing commentators a means of distilling the information and not making a good analysis or logical argument to what actually played out.
    In Greebo's case even the use of "mental" just shows a lack of knowledge, what element of the mental game is McIlroy lacking?
    There are a whole host of categories and sub-categories even at a high level we can look at psychological, psychomotor, emotional factors and within them more detail exists. No detail is generally given when Greebo and alike spout this drivel.

My issue with Greebo (& others) saying "mental issues" is that he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about and given it's obvious complexities, I take issue with people using the term and simply buying into the idea of "mental issues" and letting that be a good conclusion. IMO all that is is lazy and ignorant.

As I said no issue with "mental issues" being discussed but given I haven't seen any remotely decent analysis which Greebo claims exists then I feel confident dismissing it as people spouting about something they clearly don't know about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Russman

Ergo, its mental.

Or it could be that golf is hard and any player can have a bad week for no specific reason. Or any player can have a week where he plays well and somebody else simply plays better.

About these mental issues - I know it was talked about a lot in his early career, and yes there was the toothache :D and throwing the club into Donald's lake etc., but genuinely in recent years I can't think of too many times (if any) where I'd say they came to the fore. I wonder are they mostly imagined by people or is it just a narrative that has grown legs somehow ?

People keep saying he's not a grinder, he's not this or he can't do that - I really wonder if that's (and I'm surmising here) because he doesn't look like your average Joe grinder, ie he's not looking at a putt from 25 angles, not endlessly debating clubs and yardages before taking the shot, not doing what a lesser talent might consider to be "grinding". I dunno, I think there's a lot of double standards when it comes to judging Rory. I mean, for example, Matt Wallace comes across as a stroppy d1ck and Sky laud him and talk about how he's so passionate. If Rory was like that you'd think he'd be labelled immature, yet when he shows some calm and grinds out a top 10 (albeit a lucky one), people are saying he isn't mentally strong, or gives up bla, bla.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement