Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Russman

They're all extremely talented and I wouldn't have Rory head and shoulders above the rest, is he really more talented that DJ Fowler etc? No chance. Maybe with the driver certainly not with the flat stick.

Fowler ?? Really ?? Come on, he's a super player, as anyone on tour is, but he's not even close to that group of 5/6 in the upper echelon of golf right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Russman wrote: »
    Fowler ?? Really ?? Come on, he's a super player, as anyone on tour is, but he's not even close to that group of 5/6 in the upper echelon of golf right now.

Talent wise he's right up there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just mentioning again for future quoting that Rory will have his 5th major at the end of July.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Or it could be that golf is hard and any player can have a bad week for no specific reason. Or any player can have a week where he plays well and somebody else simply plays better.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

HighLine wrote: »
    Just mentioning again for future quoting that Rory will have his 5th major at the end of July.

I said he was going to win one too.

Only problem with The Open is the luck of the draw aspect. Morning / afternoon bad weather etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Or it could be that golf is hard and any player can have a bad week for no specific reason. Or any player can have a week where he plays well and somebody else simply plays better.

About these mental issues - I know it was talked about a lot in his early career, and yes there was the toothache :D and throwing the club into Donald's lake etc., but genuinely in recent years I can't think of too many times (if any) where I'd say they came to the fore. I wonder are they mostly imagined by people or is it just a narrative that has grown legs somehow ?

People keep saying he's not a grinder, he's not this or he can't do that - I really wonder if that's (and I'm surmising here) because he doesn't look like your average Joe grinder, ie he's not looking at a putt from 25 angles, not endlessly debating clubs and yardages before taking the shot, not doing what a lesser talent might consider to be "grinding". I dunno, I think there's a lot of double standards when it comes to judging Rory. I mean, for example, Matt Wallace comes across as a stroppy d1ck and Sky laud him and talk about how he's so passionate. If Rory was like that you'd think he'd be labelled immature, yet when he shows some calm and grinds out a top 10 (albeit a lucky one), people are saying he isn't mentally strong, or gives up bla, bla.

It certainly is hard and anyone can have a bad week.

But either you think Rory is doing the best with what talent he has, or you don't.
    I'm in the "don't" category., hence I'm interested in why he isn't fulfilling his potential.

He has some, at least to me, obvious shortcomings, the most obvious of which is hs approach play. Its just not at the standard it needs to be. I don't actually think his putting is *that* bad, I just think he puts too much pressure on it due to his distance from the hole. Either he is miles away and struggling not to 3 putt, or he is in the 50-60% make range and is under huge pressure to make it since he is not there that often.
    I'm ok with him being a streaky putter, some people are just built that way. But missing greens with a wedge in your hand or hitting it into a lake is just shocking and should be a once a year aberration and not a regular enough occurrence.

The stuff you are calling "mental" I would categorize more as personality. I could care less if he is throwing clubs or being a little dick about things, to be frank, I'm not particularly enamoured with what I see of his persona at the moment. Sure I dont think much of Rahms antics or Sergios but Rorys twitter flip-flops dont do it for me either.

I'm saying he is not a grinder based on the bad scores he has, not on how he looks.
    He doesnt typically throw in an 80 like some do, but he does (or at least did) often have a 74 when really he could have had a 71. Thats grinding for me, not how you look at putts or debating yardage, its just getting it done when you dont have your best game. Playing ugly.
    I dont think I've ever seen him play ugly and score, he just plays crap instead! :)

I would disagree that he ground out a top 10, he lashed in a bunch of birdies when he was well out of it. Grinding is making sure that you are not well out of it, keeping yourself in the picture so that when you lash in the birdies on Sunday its for something.

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    Genuinely frightening if he believes that passes.

My issue with the all encompassing "mental game" is the simplification of complex issues allowing commentators a means of distilling the information and not making a good analysis or logical argument to what actually played out.
    In Greebo's case even the use of "mental" just shows a lack of knowledge, what element of the mental game is McIlroy lacking?
    There are a whole host of categories and sub-categories even at a high level we can look at psychological, psychomotor, emotional factors and within them more detail exists. No detail is generally given when Greebo and alike spout this drivel.

My issue with Greebo (& others) saying "mental issues" is that he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about and given it's obvious complexities, I take issue with people using the term and simply buying into the idea of "mental issues" and letting that be a good conclusion. IMO all that is is lazy and ignorant.

As I said no issue with "mental issues" being discussed but given I haven't seen any remotely decent analysis which Greebo claims exists then I feel confident dismissing it as people spouting about something they clearly don't know about.

LOL.
    Frasier Crane is back I see.

If you can point out the part of golf thats not covered by the physical or mental side I'm all ears....perhaps you think sponsorship is important? Maybe susceptibility to the Zika virus? National pride?

Still nothing substantive in your posts, so back to ignore you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

I'll back you on that! He'll win one of the Opens. I'm not sure which one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

GreeBo wrote: »
    LOL.
    Frasier Crane is back I see.

If you can point out the part of golf thats not covered by the physical or mental side I'm all ears....perhaps you think sponsorship is important? Maybe susceptibility to the Zika virus? National pride?

The bolded may be the most truly ironic thing I've ever read, I understand why you're consistently called out on this thread for your drivel.
    Outside of the infantality of putting someone on ignore, I obviously won't be doing it as even though you largely spout drivel you provide enough regular laughs and moments of cringe that make it worth sifting through

As to your "points" above I clearly stated both here:
    You love a good straw-man, consistent I'll give you that, obviously I didn't say that.
    No I'm open to the idea of issues around his mental faculty playing a role, similarly I'm open to physical elements too.

The problem with you and others saying ah he has "mental issues" is that it essentially offers nothing but noise, it's not a critique whatsoever while being generally vague and meaningless. Unfortunately that type of utterance has an audience though. Perhaps if you broke it down it might make some sense.

And here:
    Even though I go on to clarify how your assertion that I think it's "physical" is wrong by explicitly stating that I'm open to the idea of mental frailty but I'd simply like some type of explanation of what the specific indicators are that make you believe that. You believe they've been expounded, please show me because I haven't seen them.

That I'm open to the idea of McIlroy needing work on the mental side of his game. I clearly maintained all along that the issue with that term is it's vague and lazy nature.
    You clearly have no idea whatsoever about what you're talking about.
    I explicitly asked for the expounded analysis you said existed on here which you once again failed to provide because it doesn't exist.
    Perhaps the all encompassing term of "mental issues" passes as a critique for but it doesn't for me and most others.
    Obviously I'm not surprised you are happy with that conclusion given that this passes as logic for you which truly is unbelievable.
    Indeed, but its not my leap.
    It appears we are not allowed to say he has mental issues, so if its not mental, other than physical, whats left?
    Ergo, its mental.

Obviously outside of physical and mental even if I grant you your veil of ignorance on the topic. There's an abundance of external factors which have been pointed out already including variance -because it's a high variance game- and the play of other players which he actually doesn't control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

For the sake of consistency you may start ignoring yourself so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Russman

It certainly is hard and anyone can have a bad week.

But either you think Rory is doing the best with what talent he has, or you don't.
    I'm in the "don't" category., hence I'm interested in why he isn't fulfilling his potential.

He has some, at least to me, obvious shortcomings, the most obvious of which is hs approach play. Its just not at the standard it needs to be. I don't actually think his putting is *that* bad, I just think he puts too much pressure on it due to his distance from the hole. Either he is miles away and struggling not to 3 putt, or he is in the 50-60% make range and is under huge pressure to make it since he is not there that often.
    I'm ok with him being a streaky putter, some people are just built that way. But missing greens with a wedge in your hand or hitting it into a lake is just shocking and should be a once a year aberration and not a regular enough occurrence.

The stuff you are calling "mental" I would categorize more as personality. I could care less if he is throwing clubs or being a little dick about things, to be frank, I'm not particularly enamoured with what I see of his persona at the moment. Sure I dont think much of Rahms antics or Sergios but Rorys twitter flip-flops dont do it for me either.

I'm saying he is not a grinder based on the bad scores he has, not on how he looks.
    He doesnt typically throw in an 80 like some do, but he does (or at least did) often have a 74 when really he could have had a 71. Thats grinding for me, not how you look at putts or debating yardage, its just getting it done when you dont have your best game. Playing ugly.
    I dont think I've ever seen him play ugly and score, he just plays crap instead! :)

I would disagree that he ground out a top 10, he lashed in a bunch of birdies when he was well out of it. Grinding is making sure that you are not well out of it, keeping yourself in the picture so that when you lash in the birdies on Sunday its for something.

I'd agree with some of that, and disagree with parts.

I also think he's vastly under achieving on his potential. I've no idea what the real reason(s) are.
    His approach play, for all its criticised, isn't actually all that bad, he's reasonably consistently in the upper reaches of the proximity to the hole stats. I did notice last year however, and I can't remember the exact numbers, that while he was at or near the top of the proximity stats in the sort of 75-175 range from the fairway, he was very close to the bottom when it came to hitting from the rough. Now, is it his driving that's putting him into trouble ? or is it his technique where he's so shallow into the ball, that hitting from rough is difficult compared to, say a Koepka, who's steep as hell into the ball ? Again, totally guessing tbh. I know there is a school of thought that reckons that players who have what Pete Cowan calls "flash speed" at the bottom will always struggle with the wedges compared to a more stiff wristed player like Stricker or Zach J.

I agree with you in having no issue with being a streaky putter, lots of the greats were. Was he last on Thusday and first on Sunday in putting ? Something close to that anyway. That's probably never going to change.

As regards grinding and playing ugly, he said himself he tried on every single shot at the PGA. I don't really buy into the he doesn't grind school of thought. He just doesn't play ugly golf, bad golf - for sure, but IMO the nature of his striking and game doesn't really lend itself to ugly stuff. If someone's swing or game is aesthetically pleasing they could be grinding like mad and you'd never know. Not for a moment suggesting he's perfect, far from it, but I think there's too much made of whether he's bouncing around or has a bit of a slump in the shoulders. I find that whether he shoots 63 or 73 you always feel he's after leaving 3 or 4 shots out there, I don't think that's not grinding, you just can't make everything.

It depends on how you look at his top 10. I don't agree it was simply lashing in a load of birdies when well out of it. Apart from a horror start to day 2, +5 for his first 3 holes, he was still in the tournament to an extent. Does his back nine on Friday count as playing well when the pressure was off, or was it getting the head down and salvaging a round after a bad start - maybe even "grinding" out a 71 from potential 76 :)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

That's a great idea. I've just added Greebo to my ignore list. :D Maybe others should follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

neddynasty wrote: »
    I'll back you on that! He'll win one of the Opens. I'm not sure which one though.

Well I've got the first 2 major winners of the year right on here so hoping the get all 4 :D

I honestly think Rory's game is not too far away and we all know how well he likes Portrush.

Well I've got the first 2 major winners of the year right on here so hoping the get all 4 :D

I honestly think Rory's game is not too far away and we all know how well he likes Portrush.

Hope you had a few quid on them. Throw up who you think for the next 2 :D

I'd be curious what price they give for Rory or any other golfer to win one major at the beginning of the year.

Easy to work out 1 or more, also easy enough to work out exactly 1, exactly 2 etc if you assume the probability of each is the same(obviously isn't).

It gets more complicated if you adjust the probability changing in each event assuming all are independent events and even more complicated once it gets into dependent probability.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I agree but in what year?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Will he win at pebble ? What’s his record like their as I know the pebble beach pro am is on every year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

neddynasty wrote: »

Can't see him winning either, both windy links courses, never suited his game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Will he win at pebble ? What’s his record like their as I know the pebble beach pro am is on every year

PB is less about power and more about accuracy and managing the wind. Will suit an accurate hitter rather than a long one. Molinari/Spieth for me rather than Keopka/Johnson/Mcilroy. Is Justin Thomas going to play?

I think there's too much made of whether he's bouncing around or has a bit of a slump in the shoulders. I find that whether he shoots 63 or 73 you always feel he's after leaving 3 or 4 shots out there, I don't think that's not grinding, you just can't make everything.

It depends on how you look at his top 10. I don't agree it was simply lashing in a load of birdies when well out of it. Apart from a horror start to day 2, +5 for his first 3 holes, he was still in the tournament to an extent. Does his back nine on Friday count as playing well when the pressure was off, or was it getting the head down and salvaging a round after a bad start - maybe even "grinding" out a 71 from potential 76 :)?

I think you can tell a fair bit from someones demeanor on the course..slumped shoulders with the "why me" face isn't really someone who is grinding.
    For example, we have seen Tiger play badly and struggle, but most of the time, even when he is give it the "poor me" act, its with a wry grin on his face.

Rory just looks defeated too often to me. Maybe thats purely on the outside, but any sports psychologist (and we have plenty of armchair wannabees on here) will tell you thats not how you do it.

They all leave shots out there, but there is a big difference between leaving some birdies out there due to just not holing putts and pissing away shots by missing greens and not getting up and down (for example)

Can you call it grinding if its on the back nine on Sunday and you are well out of it? I honestly dont know!

And tbh, he is never going to come on and say "I gave up there and didn't try for those first 9 holes" so, as Tiger taught us well, you can't take much from the post-round interviews these guys give. By and large its all coached.

I think you can tell a fair bit from someones demeanor on the course..slumped shoulders with the "why me" face isn't really someone who is grinding.
    For example, we have seen Tiger play badly and struggle, but most of the time, even when he is give it the "poor me" act, its with a wry grin on his face.

Rory just looks defeated too often to me. Maybe thats purely on the outside, but any sports psychologist (and we have plenty of armchair wannabees on here) will tell you thats not how you do it.

They all leave shots out there, but there is a big difference between leaving some birdies out there due to just not holing putts and pissing away shots by missing greens and not getting up and down (for example)

Can you call it grinding if its on the back nine on Sunday and you are well out of it? I honestly dont know!

And tbh, he is never going to come on and say "I gave up there and didn't try for those first 9 holes" so, as Tiger taught us well, you can't take much from the post-round interviews these guys give. By and large its all coached.

Pretty sure you're the only one pushing the armchair psychology on here, that's exactly what you're doing in the highlight above. No one is this oblivious are they?

Basically there you go again making ascertains about a player based on their demeanour manifesting as "slumped shoulders" and a "why me" face.

How you can claim to know anything about a player based on that let alone go about criticising anyone else's analysis of anything related to McIlroy is truly beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Rory just looks defeated too often to me. Maybe thats purely on the outside, but any sports psychologist (and we have plenty of armchair wannabees on here) will tell you thats not how you do it

Please for the love of god tell me you can see the absolute hypocrisy and irony in the quoted text?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Siri. Show me a wannabe armchair sports psychologist...

Pretty sure you're the only one pushing the armchair psychology on here, that's exactly what you're doing in the highlight above. No one is this oblivious are they?

Basically there you go again making ascertains about a player based on their demeanour manifesting as "slumped shoulders" and a "why me" face.

How you can claim to know anything about a player based on that let alone go about criticising anyone else's analysis of anything related to McIlroy is truly beyond me.

To be fair, Mcilroy has acknowledged that his demeanour and the way he walks is an indication of how he is feeling and playing:

"I think everyone sees when I walk and I'm playing well, I have that little bounce in my step, so just trying to get that going again and trying to get that positive energy back. There's been times this year where I've really gotten down on myself and that's something that hasn't helped at all, and something that I'm trying to get better at.”

Dav010 wrote: »
    To be fair, Mcilroy has acknowledged that his demeanour and the way he walks is an indication of how he is feeling and playing:

"I think everyone sees when I walk and I'm playing well, I have that little bounce in my step, so just trying to get that going again and trying to get that positive energy back. There's been times this year where I've really gotten down on myself and that's something that hasn't helped at all, and something that I'm trying to get better at.”

Ok so a quote from McIlroy which he gave almost 6 years ago about the bounce in his walk means that GreeBo can acutely spot the recent changes in McIlroys "mentality" based on "slumped shoulders" and "why me" face?

Not to mention the comical nature of the glaring irony that exists in Greebos most recent effort where he seems to be the only one who is oblivious to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Dav010 wrote:

Dav010 wrote:
    "I think everyone sees when I walk and I'm playing well, I have that little bounce in my step, so just trying to get that going again and trying to get that positive energy back. There's been times this year where I've really gotten down on myself and that's something that hasn't helped at all, and something that I'm trying to get better at.â€

The fanboys don't like when you quote Mcilroy to prove your point about Mcilroy.

They tend to know better than the man himself.

The fanboys don't like when you quote Mcilroy to prove your point about Mcilroy.

They tend to know better than the man himself.

How exactly does that 6 year old quote about his bouncy walk validate Greebos claims that he knows McIlroy has the wrong mentality based his "slumped shoulders" and "why me" face?

How exactly does that 6 year old quote about his bouncy walk validate Greebos claims that he knows McIlroy has the wrong mentality based his "slumped shoulders" and "why me" face?

There is a recent TV interview where he spoke about this as well. I’m looking for it. The jist was that he is working of leaving the negativity of bad hole behind by striding confidently to the next hole rather than putting his hands in his pockets and head down like he used to.

Dav010 wrote: »
    There is a recent TV interview where he spoke about this as well. I’m looking for it. The jist was that he is working of leaving the negativity of bad hole behind by striding confidently to the next hole rather than putting his hands in his pockets and head down like he used to.

As I've always maintained I'm completely open to the notion that psychological, emotional or other internal factors are impacting his performance especially in majors.

I just think the proponents of that view that are posting here clearly have no idea what they are talking about and are attempting wild conjectures to make any sense.
    Basically throwing enough **** at the wall to see what sticks.

I'm interested in the video, I suspect GreeBo hasn't seen it either but I'm sure he'll add it to his favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

I'm interested in the video, I suspect GreeBo hasn't seen it either but I'm sure he'll add it to his favourites.

He only has an ignore list....

• Advertisement

As I've always maintained I'm completely open to the notion that psychological, emotional or other internal factors are impacting his performance especially in majors.

I just think the proponents of that view that are posting here clearly have no idea what they are talking about and are attempting wild conjectures to make any sense.
    Basically throwing enough **** at the wall to see what sticks.

I think it was during/after the Players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement