Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

GreeBo wrote:
    He bogeyed 16 and 18.

While attacking tight flags. Pin high on both. He could have played safe and probably parred both but he was chasing birdies.

Fine margins; his golf was sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    A players and a Canadian win so far this year. If he grabs a Major then it’s been a good year

If he doesn't win again its been a good year by all accounts. Seriously strong fields in those two wins and he's T10 for the Majors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

kyleman wrote: »
    McIlroy when playing his best is simply the best in the world.

it's kind of hard to argue against that. he has really found his form again this year. I agree, when all the top golfers are playing their best, I would think Rory has a superior game. Unfortunately as we all know, golf is a bastard of a game and your best game is hidden for the most part. some guys are just better than others at pushing hard through the bad patches and keeping on top of their game for longer periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Said numerous times during Press interview post win that he plays his best in stretches of tournaments and with the US open next week I can see why he would say that but to me (and I am aware it's been said here before) he still won't be playing Irish open 2 weeks before the open championship and that doesn't make sense(again to me.)
    Still glad he won but would of loved Lowry to have won. Also delighted gmac qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Said numerous times during Press interview post win that he plays his best in stretches of tournaments and with the US open next week I can see why he would say that but to me (and I am aware it's been said here before) he still won't be playing Irish open 2 weeks before the open championship and that doesn't make sense(again to me.)
    Still glad he won but would of loved Lowry to have won. Also delighted gmac qualified.

Dont worry about it, he will say something different next time anyway :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Seve OB wrote: »
    it's kind of hard to argue against that. he has really found his form again this year. I agree, when all the top golfers are playing their best, I would think Rory has a superior game. Unfortunately as we all know, golf is a bastard of a game and your best game is hidden for the most part. some guys are just better than others at pushing hard through the bad patches and keeping on top of their game for longer periods.

I think there certainly are elements at the individual level but stylistically some players play a high floor low ceiling game such as Kuchar which allows them to weather the storm due to a lower variance style.

Conversely players like Rory or DJ play a low floor high ceiling style which is higher variance so dealing with that variance resulting from the style itself is more difficult.

Returning to their mean is simply easier for a player in the Kuchar mould than it is for a Rory type.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

The fact is, I've always felt more British than Irish. Maybe it was the way I was brought up, I don't know, but I have always felt more of a connection with the U.K. than with Ireland.

Rory McIlroy

galwayllm wrote: »
    The fact is, I've always felt more British than Irish. Maybe it was the way I was brought up, I don't know, but I have always felt more of a connection with the U.K. than with Ireland.

Rory McIlroy

So what? Who cares what nationality he associates himself with?

I couldn't care less what nationally he or any athlete claims to be, in this case Irish, British or anything else.
    Perhaps some people do care what nationality he associates with but as a dual citizen, he can make claims to hold allegiance to one, both or none.
    The idea that his national identity should be a factor in how he is perceived is ridiculous and completely irrelevant to this discussion but we know what to expect from you at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Rory McIlroy

OMG what a relevant point to the current discussion. this is obviously the reason he won the Canadian open.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rory McIlroy
    Don't post in this thread again if you are only going to troll it with old comments that everyone is aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Rory McIlroy

Rory may a well call it a day in the PGA and come back to the European tour, at least he'd have a chance at top 5, well maybe not!

He's finished....

Daft statement prior to the win followed by bitterness and toys out of the pram afterwards. Back into your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Worth noting that Rory missed the cut on his only previous attempt at the Pro-Am last year. Coming off a 2nd and 3rd in Dubai, before winning at Bayhill only a month or so after.
    Also at the US open in 2010 in Pebble he also missed the cut where he had an 8 tournament stretch where he blitzed a top field in Quail Hollow. Was T3 at the Open. T10 at Memorial.

2 is a small sample size but it does place that little bit of doubt in my mind on how he will get on around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Seve OB wrote:

kyleman wrote:
    Brilliant performance by the 2 Irish lads. Lowrys short game is unreal. McIlroy when playing his best is simply the best in the world.

Hitch2222 wrote:
    Joking, not my opinion, similar has been spouted as a critique of Rory in here after he won another event.

Fair enough.

Rory McIlroy

I'm posting a statement on an open forum that's an open discussion about Roory.

No where does it say that this is a love in forum for the has-been!

And you should non biased being MOD, check yourself buddy.

PS... He's not Irish, he said it himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

galwayllm wrote:
    PS... He's not Irish, he said it himself!

Oh get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

Rory McIlroy

Out of curiosity . How do you think posting this statement added to the discussion on mcilroys Canadian open win? How was it relevant ?
    Just asking ! Not judging !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

First Up wrote: »
    Oh get a life.

Schools out for the summer.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rory McIlroy

I'm not trolling, it's my opinion! And my opinion is as valid as anyone's on an open forum.

In my opinion Rory has peaked, he can't lead form the front as he's shown many many times!

He can turn it on when it's all but over for him. Great good job Rory!! Not!

He's not an elite golfer anymore!

And I'm delighted.... Anyone but Rory for me!

He's an elite Bottler
    !

Well apparently he's not trolling :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Don’t feed them please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Sheesh, some people didn't take last night's events too well :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

First Up wrote: »
    While attacking tight flags. Pin high on both. He could have played safe and probably parred both but he was chasing birdies.

Fine margins; his golf was sublime.

Lads, greebo saying he played a nice round of golf is about as good as it gets. High praise indeed for him. I say we should just take that as a win

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Greebo is right in that there’s very little discussion among his faithful in here when he misses the cut or his head drops when playing poorly.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Greebo is right in that there’s very little discussion among his faithful in here when he misses the cut or his head drops when playing poorly.

Just saying.

Funnily enough the lads who don't like him continue to talk ****e even when he is playing well.

Go figure....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Just saying.

How is that any different to any other golfer? Which do you think had more activity in the Tiger Woods thread, a recent missed cut at the PGA or him winning the tour championship or the Masters?

I don't even think it's particularly true either. The uptick in conversation was also centred around the rather spectacular round he was having and looked to be heading towards a sub 60 round and the best round of his whole career! What do you expect to happen in the specific thread on that very player, radio silence? Have a day off FFS. It's an insult to having some sort of reasonable discussion on here.

I know i had my disagreements with you and GreeBo in here which I certainly take a portion of the blame for but I'd find it hard to understand why you'd take issue with people questioning the value added of various posters over the past 24 hours or so.

You hardly think that GalwayLlm adding these quotes add any value to a McIlroy discussion?
    That is blatant trolling.

As far as GreeBo and TaytoLover highlighting the frequency of posts after a McIlroy win and a missed cut, what's wrong with an asymmetric reaction?
    Is it not standard this asymmetry exists, players generally miss more cuts than they win tournaments.
    That actually isn't the case for Rory this year but it's generally the case.

People want to discuss golf when it's good, no harm not discussing a topic when there isn't much to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I know i had my disagreements with you and GreeBo in here which I certainly take a portion of the blame for but I'd find it hard to understand why you'd take issue with people questioning the value added of various posters over the past 24 hours or so.

You hardly think that GalwayLlm adding these quotes add any value to a McIlroy discussion?
    That is blatant trolling.

As far as GreeBo and TaytoLover highlighting the frequency of posts after a McIlroy win and a missed cut, what's wrong with an asymmetric reaction?
    Is it not standard this asymmetry exists, players generally miss more cuts than they win tournaments.
    That actually isn't the case for Rory this year but it's generally the case.

People want to discuss golf when it's good, no harm not discussing a topic when there isn't much to discuss.

I agree with you, four pages of crap which add nothing to the discussion, I certainly do not agree with galwayLlm.

Nothing wrong with asymmetric reaction, my guess is you will always have this when discussing a popular sporting team/individual. But that reaction should take the form of discussion, constant slagging others opinions just makes for bad reading.

Edit: People want to discuss golf, there should be no harm in discussing it when it’s bad as well as when it’s good.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I agree with you, four pages of crap which add nothing to the discussion, I certainly do not agree with galwayfm.

Nothing wrong with asymmetric reaction, my guess is you will always have this when discussing a popular sporting team/individual. But that reaction should take the form of discussion, constant slagging others opinions just makes for bad reading.

Edit: People want to discuss golf, there should be no harm in discussing it when it’s bad as well as when it’s good.

Apologies for quoting you when you had deleted, I didn't realise. I removed the quote.

Yeah that's a fair point, I certainly contributed to that to be fair, my bad on that.

In response to your edit, nobody has disagreed with that but let's face it that wasn't what has happened here over the past 36 hours.

Placing 16 hole caveats on McIlroys performance when it was one of the best rounds of the year.
    Repeatedly highlighting his nationality.

They're hardly worthy of discussion from those with an obvious agenda.

No problem discussing his golf when it's bad but it's probably worth sticking to actually talking about bad golf which wasn't the case here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

i'd love to see a final pairing of mcilroy and woods on sunday,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement