Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Very good round from him, we could always say he missed a few but there were a few nice gets and saves too.

Coming back from a bogey on 1 will be good for the mind too.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

In with a great shout this weekend. Playing some nice stuff in general. R2 could have gotten away from him after the bogey/double on 13 & 14 but came back well. R3 of -3 and he'll be well in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

He will need to start taking care of the par 5's if he hopes to lift the prize by Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

And he finally get's one to drop, but in danger of being left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have written it enough over the last year-or-two, but everyone (media included) talking about McIlroy being at his best.. he is not. His putting is still absolutely garbage other than hitting the odd purple patch like we all do at times. It’s so frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

callaway92 wrote: »
    Have written it enough over the last year-or-two, but everyone (media included) talking about McIlroy being at his best.. he is not. His putting is still absolutely garbage other than hitting the odd purple patch like we all do at times. It’s so frustrating.

I really don’t think it’s that bad at all. He’s holed out very well this week, including the birdie today on 6. That putt there on 10 was poor but I think it was a misread. He looked like he was aiming way too far left, especially when you just saw reavie’s putt fly left at the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

If his putting is that bad then how is he so competitive so often?

I mean it's not his strong suit by any means but 40th in strokes gained for putting and 50th in total putting.

Koepka in comparison rank 100th and 98th respectively in those categories yet we dont hear this criticism of Koepka regularly.

Just seems to be a relatively unsupported conclusion.

Stats say a certain amount but it’s the amount of times he’s giving himself great chances on the greens and not threatening.

His wedge play in general still awful for a player of his standard

It’s his driving that kickstarts his great scores imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    If his putting is that bad then how is he so competitive so often?

I mean it's not his strong suit by any means but 40th in strokes gained for putting and 50th in total putting.

Koepka in comparison rank 100th and 98th respectively in those categories yet we dont hear this criticism of Koepka regularly.

Just seems to be a relatively unsupported conclusion.

Exactly, he missed one 11-footer and his putting is "garbage". Lazy and incorrect analysis in this case. While his putting can be hit and miss, it's been solid this week so far. What's the make % for an 11 footer with a foot of break?

• Advertisement

It’s his driving that kickstarts his great scores imo

A valid argument. He used to be one of the best short iron exponents in the world. I believe the physical conditioning impacted some of his feel, the finesse isn't quite there around the green.

A valid argument. He used to be one of the best short iron exponents in the world. I believe the physical conditioning impacted some of his feel, the finesse isn't quite there around the green.

Huh?? His physical conditioning has affected his feel? How does that work?

I've heard similar arguments I think from Faldo before and I laughed then too

fullstop wrote: »
    Exactly, he missed one 11-footer and his putting is "garbage". Lazy and incorrect analysis in this case. While his putting can be hit and miss, it's been solid this week so far. What's the make % for an 11 footer with a foot of break?

Sorry, what??? He missed one 11-footer??? I wasn’t reacting off the back of one putt

Why are you talking about 11 footers?

Around the green he’s extremely good. It’s the 70 to 100 yards he struggles with when he has to take some of the wedges. His chipping is extremely good.
    Sorry, what??? He missed one 11-footer??? I wasn’t reacting off the back of one putt

You made your post immediately after he hit a poor putt on 10. That was no coincidence.

You posted straight after he missed a putt that length on 10. Bit of a coincidence that. What other putts has he missed today that he should have made? And what's the make % for that length putt for these guys? Post needs more punctuation BTW!!!!!!!!

Yeh that genuinely is a coincidence - from the software we have at work we have the recordings of all ‘main player’ shots.

I was going thru his putts so far this round up to the 9th

It’s not all about putts made. He’s not even threatening

This somewhat confuses me generally not just with McIlroy.

Your critique is that, his putting is especially bad because the proximity of his misses are not of a requisite standard to be viewed as good efforts even though his % of makes within those distances arent particularly bad?

18th in putting so far this week is frustrating since his driving is so good

He's not threatening because he's not giving himself chances. He's had 2 pretty good chances (6 & 10) and made 1 of them. Everything else has been outside chance at best. It's his long game that's been off today so far unfortunately. As an aside, there are only 4 players on tour at or above 40% on 10-15 foot range, so 10 was only a 4/10 putt really...the kind you make if the round has momentum but you don't if it doesn't.

• Advertisement

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    This somewhat confuses me generally not just with McIlroy.

Your critique is that, his putting is especially bad because the proximity of his misses are not of a requisite standard to be viewed as good efforts even though his % of makes within those distances arent particularly bad?

Yes - he ain’t misreading by that much the whole time, so he’s mis-hitting the putts/stroking poorly

fullstop wrote: »
    He's not threatening because he's not giving himself chances. He's had 2 pretty good chances (6 & 10) and made 1 of them. Everything else has been outside chance at best. It's his long game that's been off today so far unfortunately. As an aside, there are only 4 players on tour at or above 40% on 10-15 foot range, so 10 was only a 4/10 putt really...the kind you make if the round has momentum but you don't if it doesn't.

He had a good chance on 9 too and did threaten the hole. It just rolled by.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think if Rory doesn't get up and down here . His number is up.

Getting too far behind

Bye bye Rory

That bunker shot is probably the worst one he's ever hit. And then nearly holes the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

That was ****e...then plays that chip up !!

Bye bye Rory

Not yet. Super pitch. I wonder what the lie was like in the bunker

tobsey wrote: »
    He had a good chance on 9 too and did threaten the hole. It just rolled by.
    Not yet. Super pitch. I wonder what the lie was like in the bunker

You always have chance . But lads ahead pulling ahead and will bird par 5s.

He would need to finish very very strong.

You always have chance . But lads ahead pulling ahead and will bird par 5s.

He would need to finish very very strong.

Yeah when you see the first page of the leaderboard he’s the only one not under par. Not the day he was looking for. The fact he’s still +1 on the par 5s is very disappointing. If he finishes at -6 and woodland comes back to -9 or even -10 he has a chance.

• Advertisement

The fact he’s still +1 on the par 5s is very disappointing.

Drive for show, putt for dough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement