Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

still distracted after getting to throw a bucket of ice over Meghan Markle... would you blame him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

He should sack JP after that round today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

ForeRight wrote: »
    He should sack JP after that round today

I presume that's a tongue in cheek reference to recent discussions on other threads. If not, please explain your reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

abff wrote: »
    I presume that's a tongue in cheek reference to recent discussions on other threads. If not, please explain your reasoning.

It's tongue in cheek I'd say... the actually lads who were saying to sack JP a few months ago have gone awfully quiet since his 3 wins in a row. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    It's tongue in cheek I'd say... the actually lads who were saying to sack JP a few months ago have gone awfully quiet since his 3 wins in a row. :D

Always thought the calls for Rory to get rid of him were ridiculous, the only thing I will say is that every time I see JP with the Aviator sunglasses he reminds me of a creepy old uncool uncle.

Leaderboard is jam packed, a lot of players on -4 and -5, should be a great week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

abff wrote: »
    I think you'll find that even Tiger had his off days.

Aye, but he didn't give 2 weeks partying and living it up.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big mcilroy fan but he doesn't have to focus that tiger had.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ya he's not, he has a life outside of golf. It's refreshing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Aye, but he didn't give 2 weeks partying and living it up.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big mcilroy fan but he doesn't have to focus that tiger had.

Oh yes Tiger was such a good boy,plenty of partying,just behind closed doors.

Talk about focus,the last 3 comps Rory won for eg,did Tiger ever win 3 comps as big as those in a row???

Oh yes Tiger was such a good boy,plenty of partying,just behind closed doors.

Talk about focus,the last 3 comps Rory won for eg,did Tiger ever win 3 comps as big as those in a row???

He won the same 3 in a row twice didn't he?

I'm pretty sure tiger has a 7 win streak and a 6 win streak in consecutive years around 07-08.

I bet he has more I just can't remember off hand.

He won the same 3 in a row twice didn't he?

I'm pretty sure tiger has a 7 win streak and a 6 win streak in consecutive years around 07-08.

I bet he has more I just can't remember off hand.

I'm not sure myself,just throwing it out there,the question is was there ever 3 biggys like Rory just won

• Advertisement

in 2006 strokeplay wise he won 5 in a row incuding British and PGA,nearly forget how dominant he was.I still don't think there was the strength and depth on the tour as there is today but that's a 'discussion' for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

OK, he's had a bad round. Not the end of the world, so let's just see what he does today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

vienne86 wrote: »
    OK, he's had a bad round. Not the end of the world, so let's just see what he does today.

Que a 65 today just to shut people up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

He's not existing for our amusement, he won the Open and didn't celebrate properly , then won the next two.

People spend their lives trying to shake off the post Open slump, he made a joke of it.

Of course he should go and decompress, he had the focus when he needed it, needs a mental break

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Always thought the calls for Rory to get rid of him were ridiculous, the only thing I will say is that every time I see JP with the Aviator sunglasses he reminds me of a creepy old uncool uncle.

Leaderboard is jam packed, a lot of players on -4 and -5, should be a great week.

hmmmm, :cool:
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Que a 65 today just to shut people up.

And oh look he's just gone and done that. :D

You'd be shocked in the form Rory's in if he didn't win this. Even with an opening round of 74 (giving them all a chance) he'll still destroy the field by sunday. Missed that birdie chance on the 18, but only 5 behind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He's within range! Fantastic to watch the way he strikes the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Think Rory's Friday jinx is safely in the past. Will be good to watch him chase over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

The field will have to look at Rory and assume he's going to finish with two 65's. So if Scott et all want to win they'll need to post a winning score of -15 or better to effectively capitalise on Rory's first round, otherwise Rory can easily claw this back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Great second round from McIlroy.
    So he may not win everything, he's human.
    Although he's left himself not badly placed for the weekend all the same after that poor opener.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I must admit I used to have a bit of a dislike for McIlroy because I thought he was a bit of a whiner and I thought he made a bit of a twat out of himself over the whole Olympics thing but I must say my mind has been changed completely on him this year. I suppose I've seen him interviewed a lot more etc because of the success he's had and he really does come across as a good guy it must be said and stories like this show the man he is too. And I suppose the fact he's by far the most exciting golfer out there to watch helps too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I must admit I used to have a bit of a dislike for McIlroy because I thought he was a bit of a whiner and I thought he made a bit of a twat out of himself over the whole Olympics thing but I must say my mind has been changed completely on him this year. I suppose I've seen him interviewed a lot more etc because of the success he's had and he really does come across as a good guy it must be said and stories like this show the man he is too. And I suppose the fact he's by far the most exciting golfer out there to watch helps too!

One part of me used to dislike him - I felt he was just a young pup. But I have not seen evidence of this. He conducts himself well and striked me as being very genuine when he is interviewed. Plus, you cannot but enjoy watching that swing. I'm a big fan now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

vienne86 wrote: »
    One part of me used to dislike him - I felt he was just a young pup. But I have not seen evidence of this. He conducts himself well and striked me as being very genuine when he is interviewed. Plus, you cannot but enjoy watching that swing. I'm a big fan now.
    Never struck me as a young pup, always thought he was very frank and fortright and if he misspoke was never afraid to admit his mistake. The Ryder Cup comments he made before his first Ryder Cup and how he gracefully admitted his mistake is just one example.

And then there's this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Read that this morning. That's extraordinary and it barely made the headlines. Really like how he does exactly what he wants be that good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Rikand wrote: »

I watched a bit of that yesterday afternoon. Christ, its difficult to watch! The commentators won't stop bloody talking the whole time and its more frustrating because the four players are all miked up. So, instead of being able to hear what they're all saying to each other or their caddies, we have to listen to the lads back in the studio giving us ridiculous commentary. Why bother having the mikes set up?

That said, I think McIlroy was treating the whole thing as a jolly and seemed to be just there for a laugh! Strange event though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

He has to miss 2 tournaments now to prepare for the case.

BMW masters & HSBC champions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

pistol_75 wrote: »
    He has to miss 2 tournaments now to prepare for the case.

BMW masters & HSBC champions

Are you serious? I thought you had to play in at least two of the previous three "final" series events to be eligible to play in the last one in Dubai. Or have they relaxed that rule?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

First Up wrote: »
    Are you serious? I thought you had to play in at least two of the previous three "final" series events to be eligible to play in the last one in Dubai. Or have they relaxed that rule?

Not sure about the rule but the above was released this evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement