Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

He is some player when the pressure is off, always likely to shoot the lowest round of the day once he is out of contention

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Risteard81 wrote: »
    He's third-rate.

Really?:rolleyes: The world rankings would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

GreeBo wrote: »
    He certainly could have shown them yesterday, but perceived lack of them yesterday doesn't take away totally from today's performance.

Though I'm not convinced balls was the issue yesterday...I think he has an issue with building things up to the point where he is unable to perform

I think that’s exactly his problem, there is no doubting the man’s talent, but he gets hyped up so much before these big tournaments by himself and the media I think if he was to take a step back from media before tournaments he would do better. But maybe he is obliged to take part in all these interviews.

The fact he is the course record holder made it harder for him this weekend also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Since he won the last of his 4 majors, he was +10 for the first holes on the majors up to this week, +14 now for 20 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You cannot win it on the first day but you can certainly lose it and imo that's where Rory has struggled for me. For whatever reason maybe he's too aggressive early but he makes plenty of mistakes early on.

I like Brooks mentality, just stay around long enough players will fall away and he's right. You don't need to shoot the lights out. Majors are won on the final 9 holes on Sunday.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You cannot win it on the first day but you can certainly lose it and imo that's where Rory has struggled for me. For whatever reason maybe he's too aggressive early but he makes plenty of mistakes early on.

I like Brooks mentality, just stay around long enough players will fall away and he's right. You don't need to shoot the lights out. Majors are won on the final 9 holes on Sunday.

I don't think he was too aggressive on Thursday... he just wasn't mentally ready for that shot.

Hanging around and letting others fall away is what gave Jack his record... others may beat you but never beat yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Augme

Mushy wrote: »
    "Even as a competitor and trying to beat the guy every week, sometimes I have to step back and realize how great @McIlroyRory is for golf. How he handles the spotlight, the highs, the lows, his social life, the fans, his golf, everything.. it’s awesome to watch"

Tweet by Justin Thomas which I feel really shows another side to Rory (which came out in the interview after). And he's handled this for years too which is incredible. Seems the sort who would love not to have to do the media side, just play his golf and go home. Thrust into the limelight at a young age, puts himself out there the whole time (saying stupid things the odd time).

Pity he isn't around for the weekend tbh!

There's nothing stopping him just playing his golf and going home. No one forced him to sign that contract with Nike or constantly post on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,364 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Augme wrote: »
    There's nothing stopping him just playing his golf and going home. No one forced him to sign that contract with Nike or constantly post on social media.

The whinging if he did that would be unbearable

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

Dav010 wrote: »
    Since he won the last of his 4 majors, he was +10 for the first holes on the majors up to this week, +14 now for 20 holes.

Good man Davo . The negative bias statistician on mcilroy

rooney30 wrote: »

Have you anything constructive to say about this? Is the stat wrong? Do you disagree with it? Or is your response limited to a jibe?

The stat is not mine, it was said on Sky early this morning when discussing Mcilroy’s tendency to start poorly in majors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

rooney30 wrote: »
    Attack the post and not the poster. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Since he last won he has played 20 majors. Is the stat saying that over the opening 20 holes of those 20 majors (400 holes), he is +14?

Just checking that I understand it, either way I get it, his starts in majors is chronically bad.

Felt for him this week, killer instinct abandons him when he needs it far too often.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I felt really sorry for him this week, the pressure around the course was immense on him, I saw Tiger, Dustin, Jordan, Brooks, all of them fully uninterrupted views and then when Rory got to the green this was my view, very sad I thought, fish in a bowl....I'll embed the photo properly when I get home

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    I felt really sorry for him this week, the pressure around the course was immense on him, I saw Tiger, Dustin, Jordan, Brooks, all of them fully uninterrupted views and then when Rory got to the green this was my view, very sad I thought, fish in a bowl....I'll embed the photo properly when I get home

There ya go.
    486030.jpg

easy to see why he might not enjoy it that much anymore...:(

slave1 wrote: »

I didn’t see any of Rory as I have seen him over the years at the Irish open thought my time would be best spent seeing guys that won’t be here too often. Now that you mention it the others didn’t have half of the entourage following him that he had.
    Easy to see why he would be distracted, can only imagine the amount of cameras that were on him on the 1st on Thursday.

Since he last won he has played 20 majors. Is the stat saying that over the opening 20 holes of those 20 majors (400 holes), he is +14?

Just checking that I understand it, either way I get it, his starts in majors is chronically bad.

Felt for him this week, killer instinct abandons him when he needs it far too often.

He had a problem with that first hole for some reason, more than nerves.
    On Wednesday practice he hit it into Kelly's carpark and his second attempt wasn't much better.

etxp wrote: »
    I didn’t see any of Rory as I have seen him over the years at the Irish open thought my time would be best spent seeing guys that won’t be here too often. Now that you mention it the others didn’t have half of the entourage following him that he had.
    Easy to see why he would be distracted, can only imagine the amount of cameras that were on him on the 1st on Thursday.

Koepka & Johnson had a huge following on Wednesday but that was before Rory got going

First hole only of each major, so +14 for the total of opening holes since he last won. Fourteen over for twenty holes.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Koepka & Johnson had a huge following on Wednesday but that was before Rory got going

But not a competition day either so less pressure. probably wouldn't have as much an affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Don’t be surprised if he goes and wins the WGC this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Don’t be surprised if he goes and wins the WGC this weekend

Sure Shane’s not there so he has every chance:P

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

etxp wrote: »

Rory pretty much had same feelings playing with Tiger in US.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2018/02/17/rory-mcilroy-turns-raucous-fans-says-circus-around-tiger-woods/

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Rory's press conference yesterday is worth a watch. Said he got extremely nervous all of a sudden on Thursday - had been fine until they called his name. Also talked about how he was emotional on Friday because of all the support he was getting. He didn't realise he meant as much to the golf fans here and also that they meant so much to him.

glack wrote: »
    He didn't realise he meant as much to the golf fans here and also that they meant so much to him.

That is strange considering he hosted/played in the Irish open 2 years ago 5 miles away in Portstewert in front of a huge crowd of local supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I find it hard to buy into anything he says. Interesting comment the other day I heard on a podcast. Lowry has the persona that McIlroy wishes he had, and the personality that Clarke thinks he has.

For me, McIlroy lacks authenticity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That is strange considering he hosted/played in the Irish open 2 years ago 5 miles away in Portstewert in front of a huge crowd of local supporters.
    I'd read that in the context of how far down the leaderboard he was.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'd read that in the context of how far down the leaderboard he was.

He missed the cut in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He missed the cut in both.
    Yeah, but he'd just won it the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I find it hard to buy into anything he says. Interesting comment the other day I heard on a podcast. Lowry has the persona that McIlroy wishes he had, and the personality that Clarke thinks he has.

For me, McIlroy lacks authenticity.
    I heard that as well on off the ball....seemed pretty spot on tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Didn’t Rory say when he made his Olympic decision he had to reflect a lot on who he actually was? I’d be shocked given what he said this week if he doesn’t play the Irish open next year. I think he is perhaps realizing what he means to this island and Irish people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement