Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Didn’t Rory say when he made his Olympic decision he had to reflect a lot on who he actually was? I’d be shocked given what he said this week if he doesn’t play the Irish open next year. I think he is perhaps realizing what he means to this island and Irish people.

I think Rory has to work hard to appeal to the Irish fan again, he is not as popular as one might think, he has to rebuild his popularity again, maybe start by committing to The Irish open early for next year and admit he made mistake by skipping it this year

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I think Rory has to work hard to appeal to the Irish fan again, he is not as popular as one might think, he has to rebuild his popularity again, maybe start by committing to The Irish open early for next year and admit he made mistake by skipping it this year

Hmmm - the reception he got on 18 was fairly decent for someone who needs to rebuild his relationship!

In golf news he’s 10 shots behind Rahm after just 13 holes. Me thinks last week is not helping this week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Keano wrote: »
    Hmmm - the reception he got on 18 was fairly decent for someone who needs to rebuild his relationship!

In golf news he’s 10 shots behind Rahm after just 13 holes. Me thinks last week is not helping this week

Well he said himself he under appreciated what he means to people in Ireland. The reception Lowry got was extraordinary and while it’s unfair to compare personalities he doesn’t have that love given some of his comments in the past. Lowry obviously is unique as any southern Irish person can relate to him with his big rural roots including gaa etc.

His no 1 fan would say that and it was a local crowd cheering him and it's quite easy for a pro to free wheel it in Rd 2 after playing himself out of it in Rd 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

He got a great reception at the 18th which shocked him and his emotion at this showed in his later interview , it could be the making of him .

• Advertisement

He annoys me sometimes but over all i like him and when he is going well i'm always willing him to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

People get far to hung up on Rory's personal views and decisions on here. If he **** -10 yesterday he would still be criticised in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Golfhead65 wrote: »

Ah I think the Irish fans like him alright, I think maybe he needs to like himself a bit more and maybe even go easier on himself so he can free up and just play golf.

He is a bit in danger of turning into a Alex Higgins type of person (other than the drink etc obviously) but just not fulfilling his potential.

I think he probably finds the non golf side of being a pro golfer hard and, based on some of the stuff he says/posts, has hasnt quite realised that he isnt just one of the lads, but instead there are millions of people watching everything he says & does.

I'd say he is looking at someone like Lowry with a lot of envy at the moment, despite being by far more successful, on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He annoys me sometimes but over all i like him and when he is going well i'm always willing him to win.

Very same.

Ya, as a golfer he infuriates me; only because I know that on his day he is the best player in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

etxp wrote: »
    People get far to hung up on Rory's personal views and decisions on here. If he **** -10 yesterday he would still be criticised in here.

Why wouldn’t the personal views of the person being discussed be important? Surely he is the authority on Rory Mcilroy.

When has he been criticised for shooting-10?

If he shot +10 the day before and was totally out of contention and likely to miss cut, it might be remarked apon that he shoots better scores when under no pressure/damage has been done, but I can’t see him being criticised for playing well enough to score 10 under.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ah I think the Irish fans like him alright, I think maybe he needs to like himself a bit more and maybe even go easier on himself so he can free up and just play golf.

He is a bit in danger of turning into a Alex Higgins type of person (other than the drink etc obviously) but just not fulfilling his potential.

I think he probably finds the non golf side of being a pro golfer hard and, based on some of the stuff he says/posts, has hasnt quite realised that he isnt just one of the lads, but instead there are millions of people watching everything he says & does.

I'd say he is looking at someone like Lowry with a lot of envy at the moment, despite being by far more successful, on the course.

I think you have summed it up perfectly in your post

• Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I think Rory needs to start from scratch with the Irish fans.

He needs to ask for a reset of relations with the Irish fans as they are not impressed with him over the last few years

If he genuinely makes the effort then fans will warm to him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Talking of Rory's golf that was a good comeback yesterday from 3 over to 1 under. Hopefully he can make some inroads up the leaderboard today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I think Rory needs to start from scratch with the Irish fans.

He needs to ask for a reset of relations with the Irish fans as they are not impressed with him over the last few years

If he genuinely makes the effort then fans will warm to him again.

What ??:eek:

Why are fans not impressed with him ? I'm genuinely curious as to where the hate he gets (from some) comes from.
    I can understand not supporting a sportsman/team, eg I've never supported or been a fan of Tiger, but I couldn't care less about anything he says or does off the course. No different to why I'd support one football team over another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Russman wrote: »

Why are fans not impressed with him ? I'm genuinely curious as to where the hate he gets (from some) comes from.
    I can understand not supporting a sportsman/team, eg I've never supported or been a fan of Tiger, but I couldn't care less about anything he says or does off the course. No different to why I'd support one football team over another.

I see Rory as kind of like what Phil Mickelson was like up to a number of years ago (many years) a great golfer but an a driven abrasive attitude. Great when winning but a petulant kid when it is going wrong (getting a bit better in this).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Russman wrote: »

IMO the hate comes from where his loyalty to a country does or doesn't lie. From the coverage of the US tour the Americans love him, and they don't care about where his loyalty is.

etxp wrote: »
    IMO the hate comes from where his loyalty to a country does or doesn't lie. From the coverage of the US tour the Americans love him, and they don't care about where his loyalty is.

I think if anything its a tiny minority of people who "hate" him based on his nationality, those same people have irrational hate for lots of things, so I tend to just ignore them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think 5 years without a Major is getting to him, wasn't too bad for a year or so but he wasn't playing well for periods so his Major's performance made sense, now he's playing very well, winning and still brutal in Majors continues so the pressure is overwhelming him at this stage.
    After the first round in Portrush his score essentially took a lot of pressure off, there was no way he was going to win, and he played some pure golf, same as he has done these past few years in Majors, not a chance of winning but low on a Sunday and pops into Top 10 finish

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Golf Majors aren't like Tennis where you have the same 3 maybe 4 people that you know will be battling it out for one of the grand slams with maybe the odd surprise.

Since Rory last won a major there have been 20 played with 15 different winners. Spieth has won 3 in that time and Koepka 4 both of whom had exceptional runs of form similar to Rory as he picked up his 4 majors.

Majors are bloody hard to win with so many players capable of winning on any give week and often coming down to small margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Golf Majors aren't like Tennis where you have the same 3 maybe 4 people that you know will be battling it out for one of the grand slams with maybe the odd surprise.

Since Rory last won a major there have been 20 played with 15 different winners. Spieth has won 3 in that time and Koepka 4 both of whom had exceptional runs of form similar to Rory as he picked up his 4 majors.

Majors are bloody hard to win with so many players capable of winning on any give week and often coming down to small margins.

Very true, but like tennis, it’s the majors which often define a career. If Mcilroy does not win another, he will still have had a fantastic career, but not the one he, nor many others expected.

And before I get any abusive replies, he has said many times that he is disappointed not to make added to the 4 he has.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You're bang on there and Rory has said he's disappointed he's not won more Majors and he is 100% a player who will be defined by Major wins.
    Everyone knows how many Majors Jack, Phil, Tiger have won but they rarely go past that into victories outside the Majors.

Rory should have passed Phil by now, he knows it and we know it

Same as Harrington is done and dusted, can he win another, he says he can, but after winning three he says it won't really matter

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Funny I keep thinking that Tiger has 14 majors.
    Was stuck on that number for so long it’s hard to get it into my head that it’s 15 now.

I think Rory will most definitely add to his tally. And to be honest, if he gets one in the next year or so, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him kick on with a few.

Actually another thing that’s hard to get into my head atm.......... no more majors this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

It’s tough this year alright that the majors are finished but you’ll appreciate it next year when we still have the olympics and Ryder cup to look forward to at this stage.

I think McIlroy has to win at least one more majors. He’s still the top three in the betting pretty much every major. He’s competitive most cases even when not in contention. It’ll have to click for him at least once. It’d be great if it was the Masters to fill the set or if it was Portrush the next time it’s there (hopefully) to banish Thursday.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Actually another thing .... no more majors this year :(

Yeah it's too long a gap now. Pity they didn't move one of the majors to the first week in September.

Masters in April, US open in June, British Open in July and USPGA in early September.

I think he is going to need someone to give him one ala willet and then he might kick on from there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah it's too long a gap now. Pity they didn't move one of the majors to the first week in September.

Masters in April, US open in June, British Open in July and USPGA in early September.

Early Sept would be in the middle of the FedEx playoffs which is why, I think, they moved it forward in the calendar rather than back

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Simmering nicely in Memphis, Koepka and Rors final pair on Sunday hopefully.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think he is going to need someone to give him one ala willet and then he might kick on from there

I’ve no idea what this means?!

I’ve no idea what this means?!

Spieth handed it to Willet, i think if the same was to happen for Rory it could reignite him and he could get a few more.

I'm not sure he can win one outright on his own at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looking in great nick today. 7 under and tied for the lead with Koepka. Could be a great final round with those two going against each other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement