Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Bounced back well but missed two reasonably short putts for birdie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Common sense prevailed and penalty reversed

https://twitter.com/JasonSobelTAN/status/1159956254267203585

• Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Fair play to Mcillroy there, he handled that very well. No arguing, got told the penalty and got on with it. Would like to see more of that in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Mushy wrote: »
    Fair play to Mcillroy there, he handled that very well. No arguing, got told the penalty and got on with it. Would like to see more of that in the game

Can you imagine if that was kuchar? He would till be looking for rulings

Three bad bogeys on his front 9 today. All from the fairway as well. Really needs to cut those stupid drop shots out of his rounds. Would be in real contention today otherwise

• Advertisement

Three bad bogeys on his front 9 today. All from the fairway as well. Really needs to cut those stupid drop shots out of his rounds. Would be in real contention today otherwise

He's so frustrating to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

He's so frustrating to watch.

He should have won this today. The bad mistakes have cost him so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

tobsey wrote: »
    He should have won this today. The bad mistakes have cost him so badly.

They all make mistakes, not just Rory.
    Varner will feel he should have won and probably a few others will feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

I don't think the mistakes are all bad, as the viewer. Yes he'll get close for a wedge in or a second 9i on a par 5 but it's always aggressive, always. His scope for misses is so much greater than most because he always takes it on.
    Great as a viewer, he should have learnt by now, but he won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

LMAO!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Think he was a bit to far back yesterday to really threaten. Never really looked like he had a chance. Still though nice to keep himself in contention for fed ex with a nice finish. Needs another good finish this week to keep it going.

On another note. The points disparity in the playoff events compared to say majors is a bit ridiculous. But it is what it is i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just made too many little errors and couldn't get a run going.

Still a very good week for him top 6, $300,000 and keeps him in the hunt for the fedex.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Just made too many little errors and couldn't get a run going.

That's exactly what happened him IMO. not sure on which holes it was, but he 3 putted from 2 yards off the green, and then 3 putted on the next par 5 from 15 feet or so. Two silly errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭techdiver

On another note. The points disparity in the playoff events compared to say majors is a bit ridiculous. But it is what it is i suppose.

Completely agree. It's supposed to be a season long competition but to weight it so significantly in favour of a couple events at end is a joke in my opinion. Especially getting more points for a playoff event as opposed to a major!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When Tiger and Vijay had it all wrapped up in advance the enthusiasm died off somewhat.
    I like they are not afraid to tweak the format, fallout from that will be some inconsistencies unfortunately.

It has been silly though that guys have won the Fex Ex cup and literally have to be told they won because there is no way for them to realise it when out there, at least this year it will be up there on the noticeboard and the message is simple, win in Atlanta and you're the Fed Ex champ

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think he was a bit to far back yesterday to really threaten. Never really looked like he had a chance. Still though nice to keep himself in contention for fed ex with a nice finish. Needs another good finish this week to keep it going.

I dunno, he got a great birdie on 1 (effectively a tap in), then on 2 he left himself a sandwedge and put it in somebody's carry-bag. From that position he should be doing much better. If that had gone right for him there, he was -13...he would have strolled it home!

He is close to winning another one, wouldn't surprise me if it was the Tour Championship either.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Mushy wrote: »
    I dunno, he got a great birdie on 1 (effectively a tap in), then on 2 he left himself a sandwedge and put it in somebody's carry-bag. From that position he should be doing much better. If that had gone right for him there, he was -13...he would have strolled it home!

He is close to winning another one, wouldn't surprise me if it was the Tour Championship either.

A load of players ended up in that spot on 2, missing right from the fairway,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

galwayllm wrote: »
    LMAO!!!
    Enjoy your extended holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Great to see Mcilroy, Koepka, Woods etc getting more vocal about their fellow pros, slow play is a blight on the sport and Mcilroy gave Kuchar a good dig in ribs pre tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

The points disparity in the playoff events compared to say majors is a bit ridiculous. But it is what it is i suppose.

They need to have much higher points in the playoffs in order to give players who are lower down a chance to move up the rankings.

But I agree that the disparity relative to the majors is jarring. In my view, the problem is caused by the relatively small difference between the points on offer in regular tournaments and those on offer in the majors/WGCs.

Having only 600 points for the winner of a major and 550 for the winner of a WGC compared to 500 for a regular tournament is cockeyed. I think 1000 points for winning a major and 750 points for winning a WGC (with points for other positions scaled up accordingly) would make more sense.

To compensate for the additional advantage this would gave to the 'elite' players, the points for the playoffs could be increased from 2000 to 2500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dav010 wrote: »
    Great to see Mcilroy, Koepka, Woods etc getting more vocal about their fellow pros, slow play is a blight on the sport and Mcilroy gave Kuchar a good dig in ribs pre tournament.
    Yeah. It looks like the players will have to force the issue and it's good to see big names raising it. We've been talking about it for years and nothing's been done. Hopefully the pressure will result in action.

Perfect example of Rory's on/off game but this clip would have been so much better if they showed Brooks/Reeds line off the tee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

slave1 wrote: »
    Perfect example of Rory's on/off game but this clip would have been so much better if they showed Brooks/Reeds line off the tee

What line did Brooks and reed take?

They drew it over the trees directly in line with the end of the path and even they were very high trajectories (5 woods if I recall correctly).

The direction Rory stood and aimed off the tee was just so much different to the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

etxp wrote: »
    What line did Brooks and reed take?

Brooks topped it into the trees :O

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

fullstop wrote: »
    Brooks topped it into the trees :O

Brooks birdied it. Par for Rory.

Seriously needs to cut those awful wedge shots. 115 yards on the first and airmailed the green by 20 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Excellent -5 today after a rocky start, superb back 9 and some pretty tasty up and downs. 4 off the lead .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seriously needs to cut those awful wedge shots. 115 yards on the first and airmailed the green by 20 yards.

Seem a lad on 18 hit a wedge into the bunker from the middle of the fairway but it wasn't Rory!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Seem a lad on 18 hit a wedge into the bunker from the middle of the fairway but it wasn't Rory!

You mean other people do it too ? I thought it was only Rory

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement