Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Rikand wrote: »
    You mean other people do it too ? I thought it was only Rory

Others do it, just not quite with the same talent.

Well done Rory & Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Remarkable the reception that Rory got from the crowd. I think only Tiger would have exceeded that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Can't be far off world number 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

He can’t play in the final group on a Sunday though , can’t handle the pressure . Oh wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

blackcard wrote: »
    Can't be far off world number 2?

Yeah up to 2nd

I presume the rankings were done on the scores shot and not the way they started the tournament?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Remind me wrote: »
    Yeah up to 2nd

I presume the rankings were done on the scores shot and not the way they started the tournament?

Yeah, they said in advance that placings for ranking purposes would be based on the actual scores, not the adjusted scores that decided the tournament.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Wow that was a nice win. Fed Ex 15m too. Easy money despite the late wobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kyleman

It's amazing the amount of posts we get when Rory is having a bad day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Redemption. His performance in the last round last year was a shocker, worse than Masters 2011.

Went eye to eye with world No1, and came up smelling of roses.

However, no major since 2014 and until that green jacket is on his shoulders, he will always be chasing the new younger breed of golfers.

There is still an issue between his ears and when this is gone, we can then start talking of him as a G.O.A.T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Surely a major can't be too far away? I reckon you'd get good odds on him not winning one next year.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Actual final scores and WR points breakdown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Redemption. His performance in the last round last year was a shocker, worse than Masters 2011.

Went eye to eye with world No1, and came up smelling of roses.

However, no major since 2014 and until that green jacket is on his shoulders, he will always be chasing the new younger breed of golfers.

There is still an issue between his ears and when this is gone, we can then start talking of him as a G.O.A.T.

How would he be chasing anyone outside of the no.1 ranking Koepka holds? None of this new breed have more majors than him, only Spieth and Koepka have multiple majors. Also don’t get why he would need a green jacket or else he will always be chasing them - none of them have won the career grand slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Delighted for Rory.

Wonder is he still "a choker", "not good enough any more", "will never win another thing", "mentally not right", "a bottler under pressure", "way behind the new breed of younger players" etc, etc, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

mfceiling wrote: »
    Delighted for Rory.

Wonder is he still "a choker", "not good enough any more", "will never win another thing", "mentally not right", "a bottler under pressure", "way behind the new breed of younger players" etc, etc, etc....

I’m sure the usual crew will be along shortly to tell us. Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭votecounts

Fair play to Rory on a nice win, not a bad paycheck for 4 days work either:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Great win, he played fantastic, brilliant to watch. Quite a sight to see a mostly American audience shouting his name when he is alongside their number one player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wonder if he'll give Diamond the 1.5 million?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

No chance, shur hes the worst caddy in the world by all accounts from industry experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

rooney30 wrote: »
    He can’t play in the final group on a Sunday though , can’t handle the pressure . Oh wait

tbf you can't use 1 win to say he can handle the pressure and also have an issue with posters who use several losses to say he can't.
    Thats just silly.

Meanwhile on the Rory thread...;)
    tumblr_l67pksvokI1qbvx0xo1_500.gif

• Advertisement

Surely a major can't be too far away? I reckon you'd get good odds on him not winning one next year.

Its 5 years away...in the past!

It's great to see him win this (especially considering he could have easily lost it) but we thought he'd surely win a major this year...he needs to figure out how to approach the majors and, imo, just shutup talking about them. I feel he talks himself into a mental mess. Just go play golf and let your media guys handle your twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its 5 years away...in the past!

It's great to see him win this (especially considering he could have easily lost it) but we thought he'd surely win a major this year...he needs to figure out how to approach the majors and, imo, just shutup talking about them. I feel he talks himself into a mental mess. Just go play golf and let your media guys handle your twitter account.
    I wouldn't have said he's a prolific tweeter. Not by any stretch. And by the looks of it, the media guys do most of it.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I wouldn't have said he's a prolific tweeter. Not by any stretch. And by the looks of it, the media guys do most of it.

I was using Twitter as an example, but I think he would find less anger coming his way if he just stuck to talking about golf, whether that be via Twitter, in interviews or whatever.

I was using Twitter as an example, but I think he would find less anger coming his way if he just stuck to talking about golf, whether that be via Twitter, in interviews or whatever.
    I doubt very much if those who are directing anger his way would be in any way discouraged if he did as you suggest. They just pile on to everything regardless of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

No chance, shur hes the worst caddy in the world by all accounts from industry experts.

Must be doing something right, that's his third win this season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I doubt very much if those who are directing anger his way would be in any way discouraged if he did as you suggest. They just pile on to everything regardless of context.

You dont think his quotes on Ryder Cup, Olympics, Zika, Nationality or national Opens added anything to the mix?

You dont think his quotes on Ryder Cup, Olympics, Zika, Nationality or national Opens added anything to the mix?
    Only if you're looking to be outraged. Granted, there are plenty of people who fit that description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Well JP got the $1 million so I'd imagine Diamond will get the $1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

After his recent roasting of Kuchar, I doubt Rory is going to stiff his caddy.

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    After his recent roasting of Kuchar, I doubt Rory is going to stiff his caddy.
    And best friend.

I've read before somewhere that caddies' contracts work on a sliding scale depending on where their 'boss' finishes. Winning usually means 10% of the prize money. But they are all dependant on what's in the individual contracts. The 10% seems to be universal, but it's not definitive. For the likes of Rory, prize money is almost inconsequential at this stage. Even a prize fund as big as this was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement