Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Not sure about the rule but the above was released this evening.

Yes, reading that. Next outing will be Dubai. I think it was Els who opted out of the whole thing last year or the year before because he wasn't willing or able to do the events in China.
    Last year Rory was doing exhibition matches with Woods in China. Nike won't be happy with him for this. Big market for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

you can enter and play 1 hole.

Happened a couple of years ago with someone who was injured. They hit the opening tee shot and then withdraw to make sure they could play in the final. Rory might do the same at one of them.

Sucks for someone waiting to get in and play or their playing partners but they can get away with it.

I have a feeling the guy who did it was thorbjorn oleson ?

Rikand wrote: »
    you can enter and play 1 hole.

Happened a couple of years ago with someone who was injured. They hit the opening tee shot and then withdraw to make sure they could play in the final. Rory might do the same at one of them.

Sucks for someone waiting to get in and play or their playing partners but they can get away with it.

I have a feeling the guy who did it was thorbjorn oleson ?

I remember that. I think he had been in a car accident. Can't see Rory flying all the way to China to play one hole......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

First Up wrote: »
    Then he should be suing the people who advised him. I'm sure Horizon had every intention of earning their cut and I expect they will be demonstrating how they were trying to do that.

I guess that is why we didn't see Rory and GMac paired together at Ryder cup.

Without getting into the ins and outs - we all knew Rory was heading for stardom 10 years ago - you'd imagine this should have all been anticipated.

The man on the street - could have told Rory - to get good advice - get it checked and cross checked. It all seems a bit strange he could get caught - when he and his family had years to plan for this :confused:

The only explanation - total speculation by me - was, he was taking bad advice from people he trusted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lads, as there is going to be an ongoing legal case involving Rory McIlroy I think we should refrain from discussing the case until its resolved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Lads, as there is going to be an ongoing legal case involving Rory McIlroy I think we should refrain from discussing the case until its resolved

Are you serious? Perhaps you should send around a memo to every news agency and tell them not to discuss it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

News agencies have the budgets to manage potential lawsuits. Boards.ie does not

There wasn't a single comment above that would in any way jeopardize boards.ie. But instead on moderating the topic just in case something does come up.... there is a blanket ban until February to discuss any element of it.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    He has to miss 2 tournaments now

BMW masters & HSBC champions

Will actually only miss one of them btw.

In a news report i read earlier

HighLine wrote: »
    There wasn't a single comment above that would in any way jeopardize boards.ie. But instead on moderating the topic just in case something does come up.... there is a blanket ban until February to discuss any element of it.

And I'd like to keep it that way.

And for now, yes I'd prefer if the case wasnt discussed.

He's doing many other great things on and off the course so lets stick to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

News agencies have the budgets to manage potential lawsuits. Boards.ie does not

Yeah like Rory really needs another lawsuit...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I thought they had relaxed the requirement to play in two of the three previous final series events in order to be eligible to play in Dubai. Anyway, I expect he would not have been planning to play in all four events, so he may only be playing two.

It's unfortunate that he may to pull out of one of the Shanghai events, but I guess he's reached a point where he can pick and choose which events to play in, although I imagine he would rather be taking a week off for reasons other than preparation for a court case.

abff wrote: »
    I thought they had relaxed the requirement to play in two of the three previous final series events in order to be eligible to play in Dubai. Anyway, I expect he would not have been planning to play in all four events, so he may only be playing two.

It's unfortunate that he may to pull out of one of the Shanghai events, but I guess he's reached a point where he can pick and choose which events to play in, although I imagine he would rather be taking a week off for reasons other than preparation for a court case.

I guess the requirement to play in at least two of the final series has been dropped. Irish Times is saying he won't play again until Dubai, so he is missing three (four if you include Perth this week but he was never going there.)

The tournament sponsors in China (or Turkey) won't be at all happy, nor will Nike who would have planned to build a lot of promotion around him in China.

Whatever about him being badly advised in the past, I don't think the advice he is listening to now is all that brilliant either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

I guess the requirement to play in at least two of the final series has been dropped. Irish Times is saying he won't play again until Dubai, so he is missing three (four if you include Perth this week but he was never going there.)

The tournament sponsors in China (or Turkey) won't be at all happy, nor will Nike who would have planned to build a lot of promotion around him in China.

Whatever about him being badly advised in the past, I don't think the advice he is listening to now is all that brilliant either.

Nike have 17 PGA golfers signed up, 15 of them need to keep Nike happy; 2 of them need to be kept happy by Nike.

(Well ok maybe Anthony Kim doesn't need to keep them happy either but thats a different story)

cairny wrote: »
    Nike have 17 PGA golfers signed up, 15 of them need to keep Nike happy; 2 of them need to be kept happy by Nike.

(Well ok maybe Anthony Kim doesn't need to keep them happy either but thats a different story)

They still expect something for their money but of course Rory has more negotiating power than most others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They still expect something for their money but of course Rory has more negotiating power than most others.

All in all I think Nike will be happy when they're having their Christmas drinks regardless of what happens with Rory up until then.

Contrasted against last year when their clubs were being blamed for Rory's poor form, I think they'll take 2 majors and the best driver of the ball to be seen using their new driver as a bit of a success.

I don't think that missing China will have a massive impact on any branding/sales etc. It would be preferable, but his world ranking, major wins, others wins will have done pretty much all the selling they could wish for imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

PARlance wrote: »
    All in all I think Nike will be happy when they're having their Christmas drinks regardless of what happens with Rory up until then.

Contrasted against last year when their clubs were being blamed for Rory's poor form, I think they'll take 2 majors and the best driver of the ball to be seen using their new driver as a bit of a success.

I don't think that missing China will have a massive impact on any branding/sales etc. It would be preferable, but his world ranking, major wins, others wins will have done pretty much all the selling they could wish for imo.

Yep, agreed! Mr Nike will have extra portions of turkey this Christmas.

PARlance wrote: »

Fair enough but his promotional role will also include rubbing noses with the big wigs in their Chinese manufacturing and distribution system, schmoozing at the pro-ams etc. Its all part of the job and not something he can just ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

He's doing many other great things on and off the course so lets stick to that.

This being one of them apparently

meghan+markle+suits.jpg

It's just not right.

^^ I prefer Wozi :P

Lads, I have sought advice on this one and ALL discussion of the McIlroy case here (or any other active case) is now forbidden, its too fine a line to police. Charter will be updated in due course today.

• Advertisement

I'm very surprised that he's pulled out of all three events. Disappointing end to what has been a great season for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

What a season indeed! I wonder whether he'll repeat his results next season? There's nothing to suggest he won't. In fact, he should be starting the new year with potentially less baggage than he had at the start of this year, and 2014 wasn't too shabby by anyone's standards...

^^ I prefer Wozi :P

So Do I!

Very much in the minority I'd say though ;)

Please No More Posts About Rory's Slappers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Please No More Posts About Rory's Slappers :pac:

Please no more post about Wozi over Megan...that's just not on :D

Golf lads, golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Rory is very good at golf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Golf lads, golf!

Sure they're only talking about his birdies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Rory just tweeted to the official European tour account a sad face crying icon.

whats he on about?

• Advertisement

Sad that he's not there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement