Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Up to number 2 in the World, still a fair bit behind Brooks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

slave1 wrote: »
    It's going to be an interesting battle between those two. He's opened a slight gap back to DJ who seems to be going through a bit of a slump at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's going to be an interesting battle between those two. He's opened a slight gap back to DJ who seems to be going through a bit of a slump at the moment.

Yeah. Strange performance by DJ. Hasn’t featured in the majors at all last few years either . He’s seems the type of character that might have lost a bit of interest / motivation

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

slave1 wrote: »

He will need to win a major next year to get back to no1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »
    I really like Brooks Koepka tbh. He's a real competitor and it was kind of surprising but actually made me like him more, that he wobbled a bit when Rory put him under pressure. Not the robotic player that he's seemed to be at times.

For the record, I liked that he took his route to the top via the European Tour and always seems to be his own man. Also spoke to Tim Barter at the Sky cart after the game, even though it must have been tough to take those questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

rooney30 wrote: »
    Yeah. Strange performance by DJ. Hasn’t featured in the majors at all last few years either . He’s seems the type of character that might have lost a bit of interest / motivation

He finished 2nd in the first two Majors played this year! He is struggling at the moment though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Delighted for McIlroy. He played so well.

p.s. He's ***** for missing the Irish Open in Lahinch.

Interesting comment from McIlroy after the tournament in Golf Digest:
    “Once I saw I was in the final group with Brooks, it just took me back to Memphis a few weeks ago, and I felt like I learned a few lessons that day,” he said. “I think one of the biggest things is sometimes I try to treat Sundays the same as a Thursday or Friday, and they're not.

“Brooks went out there in Memphis and shot 65 and just basically dominated the tournament, dominated me. And I realized if I want to become the dominant player in the world again, I need to be more like that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

There is still an issue between his ears and when this is gone, we can then start talking of him as a G.O.A.T.

Is this a joke?
    He's won 4 majors (and no Masters). He's level with Koepka & Spieth (are they considered?). Tiger Woods had already won 10 (each one at least twice) at the same age.
    He's not even in the argument at the moment. Talented player, very much so. G.O.A.T, you're having a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

GreeBo wrote: »
    tbf you can't use 1 win to say he can handle the pressure and also have an issue with posters who use several losses to say he can't.
    Thats just silly.

Meanwhile on the Rory thread...;)
    tumblr_l67pksvokI1qbvx0xo1_500.gif

Hope ur ok :)

Impressive that you still tried to turn it into something negative against McIlroy tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This win Really does go to show his fall from popularity with the Irish public

Nobody (not one person) even mentioned it today to me on my rounds. And plenty of those ppl would be into golf. Some ppl abc 1 types and some minimum wage students.

Rory has a long way to go to redeem himself with the public here.

This win Really does go to show his fall from popularity with the Irish public

Nobody (not one person) even mentioned it today to me on my rounds. And plenty of those ppl would be into golf. Some ppl abc 1 types and some minimum wage students.

Rory has a long way to go to redeem himself with the public here.

By contrast several people mentioned it to me at work and none of them play golf. Maybe it’s just your part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

fullstop wrote: »
    By contrast several people mentioned it to me at work and none of them play golf. Maybe it’s just your part of the country.

Possibly so. I’m a traveling sales rep and was in north Kildare west Dublin today.

Still though, I found it almost eerie how NOT 1 person mentioned it to me and compared to the hype when Lowry won a few weeks ago I feel it is indicative of where RM is now with the Irish public.

Indifference at best.

How has it come to this !?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Possibly so. I’m a traveling sales rep and was in north Kildare west Dublin today.

Still though, I found it almost eerie how NOT 1 person mentioned it to me and compared to the hype when Lowry won a few weeks ago I feel it is indicative of where RM is now with the Irish public.

Indifference at best.

How has it come to this !?

I don’t think there is the same interest in the FedEx cup though, the tournament itself is probably more synonymous with the size of the purse than the kudos of winning the trophy.

As Dav010 says, the first Open played on this island since god knows when, sold out for the week so nearly everyone knows someone who was there...and a home winner. Compare that with a tournament finishing at nearly midnight in the US with no coverage on any terrestrial tv channel. And Lowry was a rank outsider to win The Open so it was notable for that alone. I’d guess McIlroy was probably second or third favourite this week.

With McIroy already worth well over $100 million and more coming in every year with recurring sponsorship deals he'd have much rather won a major this year as opposed to the tour championship and the $15 million.

Very few golfers can say that it's not about the money like he said last night and keep a straight face.

Especially since he hasn't won a major in 5 years.

If he can keep playing like he did on Sunday he won't have too long to wait though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fullstop wrote: »
    Hope ur ok :)

Impressive that you still tried to turn it into something negative against McIlroy tbf.

I said something negative?:confused:

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Only if you're looking to be outraged. Granted, there are plenty of people who fit that description.
    indeed, seems like a bunch of people on this thread look to be outraged at any opportunity...for no apparent reason.

indeed, seems like a bunch of people on this thread look to be outraged at any opportunity...for no apparent reason.
    Oh they all invent their little reasons.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    I don’t think there is the same interest in the FedEx cup though, the tournament itself is probably more synonymous with the size of the purse than the kudos of winning the trophy.

Its pretty obscene if you ask me. 60 million in prize money. Fedex must be some company.

The money is just too much. Did the 15 million really even matter to McIlroy. Id say he was just desperate for another win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I guess this golf sponsorship must be working out well for Fedex, a lot of active golfers and golf viewers over this side of the pond are probably small to medium size business execs and self-employed types who do a fair amount of business with couriers so brand recognition must be working in their favour. I see lots of Fedex trucks on the highways every time I cross the border (they are not as big a presence in Canada).

They also picked up sponsorship of the Fedex St Jude tournament in Memphis and upgraded it to a WGC event.

I tend to agree that the huge money is not necessarily a great thing for the game, some sort of reasonable balance between player servitude as in the 1940s-50s and colossal wealth would be better all round maybe, but Rory himself seems to be a very level-headed guy at least off the golf course and nowadays more on the course. In fact, I think a sense of gloom and despair has set in among the other players ("oh no, now he putts world class too.") ... he is one of the nicer guys in golf nowadays, which I suppose isn't saying much.

I guess this golf sponsorship must be working out well for Fedex, a lot of active golfers and golf viewers over this side of the pond are probably small to medium size business execs and self-employed types who do a fair amount of business with couriers so brand recognition must be working in their favour. I see lots of Fedex trucks on the highways every time I cross the border (they are not as big a presence in Canada).

They also picked up sponsorship of the Fedex St Jude tournament in Memphis and upgraded it to a WGC event.

I tend to agree that the huge money is not necessarily a great thing for the game, some sort of reasonable balance between player servitude as in the 1940s-50s and colossal wealth would be better all round maybe, but Rory himself seems to be a very level-headed guy at least off the golf course and nowadays more on the course. In fact, I think a sense of gloom and despair has set in among the other players ("oh no, now he putts world class too.") ... he is one of the nicer guys in golf nowadays, which I suppose isn't saying much.

Does FedEx need any more marketing though?
    Like who hasn't heard of FedEx?
    Sure it has become the generic term for shipping something now, even if you aren't actually using FedEx...al-la Hoover. The marketing job is done imo.

Then again, whats 20M to a company like that? 5Bn profit last year on 65Bn revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Really, you sense that? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

GreeBo wrote:
    Does FedEx need any more marketing though? Like who hasn't heard of FedEx? Sure it has become the generic term for shipping something now, even if you aren't actually using FedEx...al-la Hoover. The marketing job is done imo.

You don't stay on top by abandoning the strategies that got you there.

Coca Cola know that if they stopped promoting the brand it would be dead in 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

First Up wrote: »
    You don't stay on top by abandoning the strategies that got you there.

Coca Cola know that if they stopped promoting the brand it would be dead in 5 years

:pac: would take a lot longer than that

First Up wrote: »

I'm sorry but thats just full on roflcopter
    Roflcopter.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Ak them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I was using Twitter as an example, but I think he would find less anger coming his way if he just stuck to talking about golf, whether that be via Twitter, in interviews or whatever.

Yes there seemed to be a large amount of anger coming his way on the 18th Green at eastlake Sunday night..

The fans that really matter are the ones that cheer him on I doubt him or any professional golfer worry too much about what a few Internet fans think About them and rightly so too.

That stat for this year of him finishing in top 10 so many times this season shows just, how consistent he has been but maybe just coming up short with his own mentality but he truly earned his win the weekend and tour champion for the year.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yes there seemed to be a large amount of anger coming his way on the 18th Green at eastlake Sunday night..

The fans that really matter are the ones that cheer him on I doubt him or any professional golfer worry too much about what a few Internet fans think About them and rightly so too.

That stat for this year of him finishing in top 10 so many times this season shows just, how consistent he has been but maybe just coming up short with his own mentality but he truly earned his win the weekend and tour champion for the year.
    That was probably as close to his best that he's been in years. It's funny when you read stuff here and then listen to his fellow pros say how when he's on form he can't be touched. It's still hard to know if this run of form can last, but it will be interesting to watch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement