Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That was probably as close to his best that he's been in years. It's funny when you read stuff here and then listen to his fellow pros say how when he's on form he can't be touched. It's still hard to know if this run of form can last, but it will be interesting to watch.

The thing I disagree with with most on here and other forums is why does it always have to be a case of it lasting or him proving something? What are we judging Rory against? He is never going to be a tiger woods or Jack N type golfer and dominate for years on end, Does that make him a bad person? Or a bad golfer? No it makes him someone that is happy to be one of the best in the world and get paid handsomely for it.

I'm not his biggest fan but I love watching him play when he is in the zone and I like to enjoy that whenever we get to see it. I don't care about what records he could set or miss out on just enjoy watching talented sports people make their sport look so easy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

jayo26 wrote: »
    ….why does it always have to be a case of it lasting or him proving something? What are we judging Rory against? He is never going to be a tiger woods or Jack N type golfer and dominate for years on end, Does that make him a bad person? Or a bad golfer?

My interpretation of it is the fact he is just way too talented to have not won a Major in such a long time, I have no criticism of Rory per se but even he himself has said his lack of Majors is a personal disappointment and Rory is at that level in the golf game that when it's all done and dusted his will be measured solely on his Major haul.
    He should be touching double digit Majors by now

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I've been as vocal a critic of Rory as anyone and last Sunday it clicked with me why. When he's like that he's just a joy to watch so when we see some of the poor Sunday performances I think it just annoys me.

I'm dreaming of himself, Thomas, Spieth and Koepka all in contention in Augusta as they turn the bend. The playoff could go on for a week if we got to that stage.

Fair play to him though. Showed something Sunday that I honestly thought was gone. Not sure if something clicked in his head or if Koepka in Memphis showed him the way. Either way its good reading for the golf viewing public.

Modern Era Major winners
    Jack 18
    Tiger 15
    Gary 9
    Tom 8
    Arnold 7
    Trevino 6
    Faldo 6
    Seve 5
    Phil 5

Rory should be 3rd/4th on that list, and he knows it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Surprised to see Rory in the field for the European Masters this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

slave1 wrote: »
    My interpretation of it is the fact he is just way too talented to have not won a Major in such a long time, I have no criticism of Rory per se but even he himself has said his lack of Majors is a personal disappointment and Rory is at that level in the golf game that when it's all done and dusted his will be measured solely on his Major haul.
    He should be touching double digit Majors by now

They're all extremely talented though, what makes you think he's more talented that a Justin Thomas, Rickie Fowler or Dustin Johnson? Winning is hard, talent alone wins you nothing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    He said in his interview with Sky that he wanted to have a tilt at the Race to Dubai. Feels he has work to do yet for this season. I took this to mean that he wants more wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

slave1 wrote: »
    Modern Era Major winners
    Jack 18
    Tiger 15
    Gary 9
    Tom 8
    Arnold 7
    Trevino 6
    Faldo 6
    Seve 5
    Phil 5

Rory should be 3rd/4th on that list, and he knows it

He definitely should and has acknowledged as much but if you drop to 4 you add in Rory, Brooks and Spieth who are likely to win more.

Both Rory and Brooks in current form should be looking close to double figures in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dr. Bre wrote:

Sponsor obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They're all extremely talented though, what makes you think he's more talented that a Justin Thomas, Rickie Fowler or Dustin Johnson? Winning is hard, talent alone wins you nothing.

I think this thread clearly shows that people think he is far more talented that JT, Fowler or even DJ, nevermind Spieth or Brooks.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think this thread clearly shows that people think he is far more talented that JT, Fowler or even DJ, nevermind Spieth or Brooks.

He is

First Up wrote: »
    Sponsor obligations.
    Yeah, he's sponsored by Omega who also sponsor the tournament.

'Far more' is a bit of a stretch. When JT gets in the mood (a bit like Rory) he just monsters a tournament. Fowler isn't in the same conversation. You have to be having a laugh there. Spieth has never been as good tee to green, so I think that's a push too. DJ is getting to a point where his age may just limit his potential and Brooks Koepka is as talented imo.

'Far more' is a bit of a stretch. When JT gets in the mood (a bit like Rory) he just monsters a tournament. Fowler isn't in the same conversation. You have to be having a laugh there. Spieth has never been as good tee to green, so I think that's a push too. DJ is getting to a point where his age may just limit his potential and Brooks Koepka is as talented imo.

Agreed.

As a natural talent Rory is top of the list IMO probably followed by JT. Brooks has worked hard to be where he is (no doubt they have all worked hard) fowler and Spieth very good players but not in the same league, DJ at times looks unbeatable like in Mexico but can also blow particularly cold. Like Rory should have more majors.

Remind me wrote: »
    Agreed.

As a natural talent Rory is top of the list IMO probably followed by JT. Brooks has worked hard to be where he is (no doubt they have all worked hard) fowler and Spieth very good players but not in the same league, DJ at times looks unbeatable like in Mexico but can also blow particularly cold. Like Rory should have more majors.
    I think for DJ, his breakthrough came just a bit too late in his career. He's also had injury and other unspecified problems that have interrupted his career just when he was in ascendancy. He's still managed to win 20 PGA events and will win more, but the clock is ticking louder and louder. I know that sounds mad for a chap of 35, but his injury profile makes that more of an issue than for someone like Phil Mickelson for example, at the same age.

Unspecified problems is very diplomatic of you!!

Sorry, thats not my personal opinion (other than probably Fowler who I dont think is at the races at all) thats what gets said on the forum many times about McIlroy.
    "on his day he is better than anyone".

Sorry, thats not my personal opinion (other than probably Fowler who I dont think is at the races at all) thats what gets said on the forum many times about McIlroy.
    "on his day he is better than anyone".
    Well that's hardly an exaggeration. And I would say the same about JT or Koepka. Because they're the kind of player that can dominate a tournament when they are really on their game. And have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

you can't say rory is more talented than all those names when you take into account his putting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Remind me wrote: »
    Both Rory and Brooks in current form should be looking close to double figures in years to come.

we thought the same about jordan spieth a few years ago. things can change quickly in golf

• Advertisement

Well that's hardly an exaggeration. And I would say the same about JT or Koepka. Because they're the kind of player that can dominate a tournament when they are really on their game. And have done.

By definition you can't have more than 1 player who "on their day" is better than everyone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

By definition you can't have more than 1 player who "on their day" is better than everyone else...

Very true! You can however have a select group of players whose A game will blow everyone away unless someone else from the select group also brings his A game.

I think Rory is definitely part of that select group. If he gets on a hot putting streak, he's well nigh unbeatable.

The huge challenge for Rory will be overcoming past history at the Masters to complete a career grand slam. I'd say the pressure on him coming into that tournament each year is so intense that it has to have an effect on his play. If he can find a way of dealing with that successfully and goes on to win the Masters, it could open the floodgates to many more major successes.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Spieth was 2nd SG tee to green in 2017 and 4th in 2015. This perception that he is a one trick pony is way off. He has obviously been woeful for the last 2 years but when he was playing well he was very good tee to green.

abff wrote: »
    Very true! You can however have a select group of players whose A game will blow everyone away unless someone else from the select group also brings his A game.

I think Rory is definitely part of that select group. If he gets on a hot putting streak, he's well nigh unbeatable.

The huge challenge for Rory will be overcoming past history at the Masters to complete a career grand slam. I'd say the pressure on him coming into that tournament each year is so intense that it has to have an effect on his play. If he can find a way of dealing with that successfully and goes on to win the Masters, it could open the floodgates to many more major successes.

For sure he is in that group, but I think its a much bigger group that some people want to admit.

Actually, i'd say any of the top 100 on their day will beat the other 99 unless they are also on their day.

Spieth was 2nd SG tee to green in 2017 and 4th in 2015. This perception that he is a one trick pony is way off. He has obviously been woeful for the last 2 years but when he was playing well he was very good tee to green.

Woeful but still in 2nd in 2019 SG putting believe it or not, he just can't get it onto the green

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭OEP

For sure he is in that group, but I think its a much bigger group that some people want to admit.

Actually, i'd say any of the top 100 on their day will beat the other 99 unless they are also on their day.

Rather than going on about someone winning "on their day", how about considering the ability to win a lot over a prolonged period, i.e. 2/3 years. Then you get a much smaller list. Btw I'm obviously excluding the likes of Tiger and Phil.

Top tier
    Brooks - no real need to explain...although he will need to continue this form. Rory and Spieth in particular have shown that multiple majors come in streaks these days.
    Rory - 4 majors and 21 wins in total worldwide. I'm too lazy to look it up but at the age of 30 I'd imagine only Jack and Tiger for certain and then maybe Seve, Tom Watson, Arnold Palmer could compete with this.
    Spieth - still young, going through a rough patch but has 3 majors so deserves time to recover form. You can't take away his record, and for his age it is better than anyone else besides the first 2 mentioned

2nd tier
    DJ - can be unstoppable but his poor majors records means he loses out on the top tier
    JT - Will probably be top tier but hasn't won enough yet

I can't really think of anyone else to put in that list.

Edit: My point being is Brooks, Rory and Spieth dominated over at least 2 or 3 years - no one else of the current crop has done that so that separates them in my eyes.

you can't say rory is more talented than all those names when you take into account his putting

Surely that is enough of a reason to show his talent? His putting stats are poor but he is consistently contending?

Spieth has no game bar his putting

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Good article/advert below regarding his equipment choices this year the spider putter looks cool didn't realise it had the alignment tool built in.

https://www.golf.com/gear/pros-bags/2019/08/25/winners-bag-rory-mcilroy-equipment-tour-championship-taylormade/

Only if your definition expects those days to coincide. And you might note that I said 'can dominate', not 'will dominate'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

OEP wrote: »
    Rather than going on about someone winning "on their day", how about considering the ability to win a lot over a prolonged period, i.e. 2/3 years. Then you get a much smaller list. Btw I'm obviously excluding the likes of Tiger and Phil.

Top tier
    Brooks - no real need to explain...although he will need to continue this form. Rory and Spieth in particular have shown that multiple majors come in streaks these days.
    Rory - 4 majors and 21 wins in total worldwide. I'm too lazy to look it up but at the age of 30 I'd imagine only Jack and Tiger for certain and then maybe Seve, Tom Watson, Arnold Palmer could compete with this.
    Spieth - still young, going through a rough patch but has 3 majors so deserves time to recover form. You can't take away his record, and for his age it is better than anyone else besides the first 2 mentioned

2nd tier
    DJ - can be unstoppable but his poor majors records means he loses out on the top tier
    JT - Will probably be top tier but hasn't won enough yet

I can't really think of anyone else to put in that list.

Edit: My point being is Brooks, Rory and Spieth dominated over at least 2 or 3 years - no one else of the current crop has done that so that separates them in my eyes.

What does JT need to win to get in to the top tier? he has 10 career wins including a major? DJ has 22 wins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement