Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭OEP

etxp wrote: »
    What does JT need to win to get in to the top tier? he has 10 career wins including a major? DJ has 22 wins.

More majors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Far too much emphasis on majors. He won the BMW couple of weeks ago. Probably a higher quality field in that than in some of the majors when you take out amateurs and past winners. Probably opening myself up for attack now lol.

Far too much emphasis on majors. He won the BMW couple of weeks ago. Probably a higher quality field in that than in some of the majors when you take out amateurs and past winners. Probably opening myself up for attack now lol.

I think you are opening yourself up for attack! Players design their schedule around peaking for the majors, Brooks has said he only practices for the majors (true or not, I don't know), Tiger and Jack's career is only ever compared on majors. Need I go on?

OEP wrote: »
    I think you are opening yourself up for attack! Players design their schedule around peaking for the majors, Brooks has said he only practices for the majors (true or not, I don't know), Tiger and Jack's career is only ever compared on majors. Need I go on?

You can go on all you like. :rolleyes:

If Tiger only won 3 majors and 77 other tournaments would he still be considered one of if not the greatest? in my opinion he would, but by your way of thinking no.

You can go on all you like. :rolleyes:

If Tiger only won 3 majors and 77 other tournaments would he still be considered one of if not the greatest? in my opinion he would, but by your way of thinking no.

One of yes, but definitely not the greatest. And would probably come behind others who have more majors (Gary Player, Tom Watson, Arnold Palmer etc.). Any of those players that have lots of majors also have lots of other wins so there is a fairly clear correlation there. There's a reason why they only talk about their major wins.

If JT wins 77 tournaments, I'll allow him in the top tier

• Advertisement

OEP wrote: »
    One of yes, but definitely not the greatest. And would probably come behind others who have more majors (Gary Player, Tom Watson, Arnold Palmer etc.). Any of those players that have lots of majors also have lots of other wins so there is a fairly clear correlation there. There's a reason why they only talk about their major wins.

If JT wins 77 tournaments, I'll allow him in the top tier

My opinion is people got too drawn into the major debate, I think you have to look at the overall picture. If you mention major winners from earlier, people say, "oh that was a different era". Walter Hagen is third on the all time list yet rarely gets a mention. There is quite a few ahead of Seve, but they never get a mention, because they didn't have the passion of Seve. im ranting here... I need a sleep :(

My opinion is people got too drawn into the major debate, I think you have to look at the overall picture. If you mention major winners from earlier, people say, "oh that was a different era". Walter Hagen is third on the all time list yet rarely gets a mention. There is quite a few ahead of Seve, but they never get a mention, because they didn't have the passion of Seve. im ranting here... I need a sleep :(

I get what you're saying but I disagree with you. Winning a tournament that everyone is basing their whole season around, is worth so much more than winning a tournament where some players don't particularly care, are only getting back into the swing of things, there for sponsors obligations etc.

Take another sport - tennis. Jimmy Connors has more wins than Federer, Nadal and Djockovic, is his career considered better?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory could win another 20 tournaments but if none of them majors it will be deemed a failure . He’s won plenty of tournaments since his last major win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

He will win another major or two, he's only just turned 30.

Unless he becomes injury plagued like Woods was for most of his 30s, he could easily double his major tally.

Golf as a career is a marathon not a sprint, lets see what his CV looks like when he's 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Unless he becomes injury plagued like Woods was for most of his 30s, he could easily double his major tally.

Golf as a career is a marathon not a sprint, lets see what his CV looks like when he's 40.

Though I share your confidence in him winning more, I don’t think physical injury would be the main barrier to be concerned about.

I think as time goes on, the pressure will mount, both from the media/public, and by Mcilroy himself. Personally I think if he won the Masters, he would have achieved his Majors milestone and then he might relax and win more. But who knows.

I agree with Thomas Flynn, majors are the currency of the top tier golfers success, other tournaments are for money and ranking points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

5 years in his golfing prime without one wouldn't lend me to believe he will easily double his current tally.

I've said it before, but I think he almost needs someone to gift him one and *then* I think he could win several more, especially if that gift was a green jacket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have always held the belief that Rory has some sort of back issue and that is the reason for his level of strength build.
    I also have a funny feeling that Rory will retire very early from golf, would not be surprised in the slightest if he calls it a day in his late 30's.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice 63 to follow up a 67 yesterday playing in Switzerland at altitude. 1 off the lead and in a good position heading into the weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rory just hit a 415 yard drive on the par 5 14th but then proceeded to put his wedge shot into the water!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Desperate finish from Rory and all started with that wedge into the water on 14. All to do tomorrow to get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Rory just hit a 415 yard drive on the par 5 14th but then proceeded to put his wedge shot into the water!!
    Trying to take ~40 yards off a lob wedge. I laughed as I typed that. Drives 415 yards and can't hit a full lob wedge the remainder. Nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Trying to take ~40 yards off a lob wedge. I laughed as I typed that. Drives 415 yards and can't hit a full lob wedge the remainder. Nuts.

You'd have to question the logic of hitting driver if it leaves you a distance that you are not comfortable at.

GreeBo wrote: »
    You'd have to question the logic of hitting driver if it leaves you a distance that you are not comfortable at.
    I don't think he expected 415 yards. It took a massive bounce and ran for miles. Even saying it should 'only' have gone ~370 yards is mad. Fun to watch though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

prawnsambo wrote:
    I don't think he expected 415 yards. It took a massive bounce and ran for miles. Even saying it should 'only' have gone ~370 yards is mad. Fun to watch though.

He could have gone for centre of the green and pretty well guaranteed a birdie but maybe he feels he has to put on a show for the sponsor.....

Andres Romero - a name that pops up now and again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

First Up wrote: »
    He could have gone for centre of the green and pretty well guaranteed a birdie but maybe he feels he has to put on a show for the sponsor.....

Yeah I’d say that’s definitely what it was and not just a bad shot :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

fullstop wrote:
    Yeah I’d say that’s definitely what it was and not just a bad shot

It was a bad shot too.

First Up wrote: »
    I don't know how far you hit a lob wedge, but if I'm two thirds of a lob wedge from the pin, I'm not looking at the centre of the green. :)

I'm not Rory McIlroy either. But it's comforting to know that sometimes when I try to take something off a club, I'm not the only one to push it a bit right. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Struggling again this morning, wonder if he's run out of steam, has played a lot of golf recently.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rory not making a move so far

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He’s tied for the lead now!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Keano wrote: »
    He’s tied for the lead now!

I switched over from the F1, left this after his front 9!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Horrible drive on 18 into trees on the right. Pitched out sideways and played a super approach to 18 inches. Two playin partners got good birdie putts but missed so the three of them got in at -14. Super back 9 in his tournament today. Great excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I see this tread has died a death since the chosen one didn't get it done..well done Sebastian

• Advertisement

Wow last I checked he was well out of it ! Great effort . Fair play soder

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement