Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I think he needs to play regular, rests never seem to do him any good.

65-67 weekend. Great move up the leaderboard for probably get a Top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

-5 after 5 holes today and now -7 for the tourney in Kingsbairns, 4 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good start although Kingbarns is the easiest course so would need to make hay today.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Good start although Kingbarns is the easiest course so would need to make hay today.

Surely St. Andrews is the easiest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Seve OB wrote: »
    Surely St. Andrews is the easiest

Like all links, solely dependent on the wind. They'll rip up all three if its calm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Like all links, solely dependent on the wind. They'll rip up all three if its calm

In similar conditions, Kingsbarns is a lot more difficult than St. Andrews, I’ve played both with a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Is the last round played at the same course by all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Is the last round played at the same course by all?

Yes.
    Cut after 3rd round, then st andrews again on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Opening his mouth again without engaging his brain

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/49873076

Didn't realise the winning score on pga tour was about -10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

We should like it when sports professionals speak their minds and not just ramble off the usual robotic rubbish.

Does it help RMcI in the context of bringing attention upon himself? Certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

We should like it when sports professionals speak their minds and not just ramble off the usual robotic rubbish.

I'm happy to see him voice an opinion but I'm struggling to understand his point. If 29 golfers shoot better than him on the same course in the same conditions, who exactly is he blaming?

They were always going to tear up the links in those conditions. I'm not sure it's reflective of the overall tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

If he thinks courses are too easy and winning scores are 20 + under par, why as a supposedly world class player shooting 20+ under himself, such an nonsensical argument

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

He is only emphasising what many players have been saying recently.

Maybe not the week to be saying it considering the course would be set up handy enough this week being a pro-am.

People saying the better players should be shooting the better scores is a ridiculous argument.

Tougher courses will make players play to their strengths, Rory driving, Sneds putting etc... courses being set up handy suits everyone and turns into a free for all as is seen in Europe most weeks and America this time of year.

Its similar on the korn ferry tour, those tournaments are shootouts and you need to be flag hunting with nearly every approach shot, its one reason why some struggle when they make the pga tour coming from it

Its similar on the korn ferry tour, those tournaments are shootouts and you need to be flag hunting with nearly every approach shot, its one reason why some struggle when they make the pga tour coming from it

Look at the scores on the Alps Tour as a prime example. Cuts of 5,6,7 and even 8 under

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think Rory should look at the TV highlights of his putting, especially Friday, it wasn't a case of him missing, some of his >12ft were never going in and the lines were way off, his putting "dispersion" is crazy, commentators were speechless as some of his "efforts".
    Should concentrate his energy there.

Also, himself and his Dad lost the team event on the pro score countback, perhaps that was hurting him

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

It's no coincidence that the harder the courses the better players rise to the top.
    Rory isn't a good enough a putter to win on a course that's a birdie fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

What does Rory expect when he's playing in a pro-am over three links courses where the pin positions are going to be unchanged over three days?

If they set the courses up with punishing rough and difficult pin positions and they got windy weather, it would cause mayhem.

• Advertisement

It's a great idea for an event but the pro am side of things doesn't do it for me. Crowds seemed to be poor also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

abff wrote: »
    What does Rory expect when he's playing in a pro-am over three links courses where the pin positions are going to be unchanged over three days?

If they set the courses up with punishing rough and difficult pin positions and they got windy weather, it would cause mayhem.

He is talking in general terms not just this week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

Remind me wrote: »
    He is talking in general terms not just this week

I realise that, but the timing of his comments is unfortunate as it's not a valid comment in relation to the tournament he has just played.

I realise that, but the timing of his comments is unfortunate as it's not a valid comment in relation to the tournament he has just played.

That’s why he name checked both The Scottish open and wentworth.

I agree the timing isn’t ideal but he’s just reiterating what others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

The vast majority of people watching want to see the ball going miles and players making eagles and birdies.

Not hacking around the place.

What the market wants the market gets.

More people watching the more revenue goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He did clarify that. Wasn't intended to be taken purely as a criticism of the Pro-Am:

"I understand voicing concerns about golf course set-ups in Europe to the media at a pro-am event on benign links courses wasn't the right place to do it, or the right people to talk to about it."

In general, I like to see golfers make statements about things they would like to see change on tour. We're not going to see changes unless they speak out. The slow play thing being a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    The vast majority of people watching want to see the ball going miles and players making eagles and birdies.

Not hacking around the place.

What the market wants the market gets.

More people watching the more revenue goes up.
    Well I don't want to see somebody spraying it off the tee box and still having a shot into the green without any penalty. Each to their own I suppose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

How did he fare out with a bit of wind and rain and tough pins in Portrush?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

slave1 wrote: »
    How did he fare out with a bit of wind and rain and tough pins in Portrush?

He missed the cut! But -15 win the Open and that’s his point. To shoot that score in any event and finish miles down the leaderboard doesn’t make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Does he also think +1 shouldnt win the US Open?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement