Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Keano wrote: »
    He missed the cut! But -15 win the Open and that’s his point. To shoot that score in any event and finish miles down the leaderboard doesn’t make sense.

But one player won by 6 shots so it's not like it was a birdie fest.
    -4 made the Top 10.

Stenson won at -20!!!

European Links events are at the mercy of the weather.

Rory will do well on the desert courses where he can over power from the tee and the green speed is akin to the US

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

slave1 wrote: »
    But one player won by 6 shots so it's not like it was a birdie fest.
    -4 made the Top 10.

Don't think he mentioned the open championship?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Don't think he mentioned the open championship?

He didn't but its a European Tour event so a valid example.

Sure look, if he doesn't score low enough then he does not win, it's as simple as that, as posted earlier it's the same course setup for everyone.

Rory got his special deal recently to remain a member of the tour and then he gives out about it so soon afterwards, no pleasing him it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Sure look, if he doesn't score low enough then he does not win, it's as simple as that, as posted earlier it's the same course setup for everyone.

Rory got his special deal recently to remain a member of the tour and then he gives out about it so soon afterwards, no pleasing him it seems

I might be wrong but the Open is not a Europeans Tour event.

He is not looking for courses to be tailored to him, he along with others want the game to bring the best to the top, this does not happen at most European tour events.

If you look at the race to Dubai it is dominated by players playing in the fewest events in Europe and picking up points at the Majors and WGC’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

To me it looked insane - even with a 3 round cut on Saturday evening that -7 missed the cut.

Rory at Portrush - everyone knows he had a disaster at the very first hole.

He had a very good 2nd day that almost got there in terms of making the cut.

Feels wrong that -15 for any player is so far down the field.

In the 2015 Honda Classic -6 was enough for Padraig Harrington and Daniel Berger to get to a play off after 72 holes.

Not even making the cut here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Old diesel wrote: »
    To me it looked insane - even with a 3 round cut on Saturday evening that -7 missed the cut.

Rory at Portrush - everyone knows he had a disaster at the very first hole.

He had a very good 2nd day that almost got there in terms of making the cut.

Feels wrong that -15 for any player is so far down the field.

In the 2015 Honda Classic -6 was enough for Padraig Harrington and Daniel Berger to get to a play off after 72 holes.

Not even making the cut here.

If you turn the par 5s that they hit with irons in 2 back into par 4s then it changes things a bit, its crazy that we call some holes par 5s still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

At Portrush.....

-7 was good enough for 3rd place

-15 was enough for Lowry to win - by SIX*.

*Meaning it was a truly exceptional score on the day rather then horribly mediocre looking as it is in the Dunhill .

There's validity to Rory's point imo.

Edit just to note I was composing this follow up post when Greenbo was replying so this post looks slightly out context

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Remind me wrote: »
    I might be wrong but the Open is not a Europeans Tour event.

He is not looking for courses to be tailored to him, he along with others want the game to bring the best to the top, this does not happen at most European tour events.

If you look at the race to Dubai it is dominated by players playing in the fewest events in Europe and picking up points at the Majors and WGC’s.

All the majors are listed as European Tour events on their website.

I think he is right in the sense that as much as we want to see birdies, if the course is too easy, as a spectacle it suffers.

But you also see high scores on the US tour, they earn more money and I haven’t heard a lot of criticism of their set up.

In relation to the Dunhill, and indeed most events, weather conditions have to be factored in. Where sun is almost guaranteed in the US, wind and rain can turn some tournaments into a slog, so setting it up to be fair in all conditions is erring on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

No it isn’t. It’s run by the R&A. And your previous post is backing up McIlroy’s point. -15 won that event by 6 and the weather only showed its teeth on the last day. Where was -15 this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

He is only emphasising what many players have been saying recently.

Maybe not the week to be saying it considering the course would be set up handy enough this week being a pro-am.

People saying the better players should be shooting the better scores is a ridiculous argument.

Tougher courses will make players play to their strengths, Rory driving, Sneds putting etc... courses being set up handy suits everyone and turns into a free for all as is seen in Europe most weeks and America this time of year.

The courses are not the problem. The problem is the equipment including the golf ball. Scores on the PGA tour are also extremely low. Rory has too much to say for himself these days also.

shamco wrote: »
    The courses are not the problem. The problem is the equipment including the golf ball. Scores on the PGA tour are also extremely low. Rory has too much to say for himself these days also.

Equipment is an issue yes but course set up is still the easiest way to make players think, take certain shots (like just blasting driver everywhere) out of play.

This years US Open is a good example, tough fair set up with the cream rising to the top and -13 winning compared to the same course earlier in the year with -19 winning and it being Mickleson who was no where near in the US Open because he couldn’t smash it everywhere.

Dav010 wrote: »
    But you also see high scores on the US tour, they earn more money and I haven’t heard a lot of criticism of their set up.

Adam Scott did earlier this season. There has been quite a bit of support for Rory from fellow pros and coaches on twitter.

Adam Scott did earlier this season. There has been quite a bit of support for Rory from fellow pros and coaches on twitter.

Sorry, though you might admire his honesty and willingness to speak out, I find statements like this from him, ironic and moronic in equal measure.

“Strategy, course management and shot making are important aspects of tournament golf that are being slowly taken out of the game at the top level, not just in Europe but worldwide," he claimed”

This from a guy often criticised, and critical of himself for all of the above, strategy, course management and shot making.

Well put, this was the point I was trying to make, the irony of it coming from Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Equipment is an issue yes but course set up is still the easiest way to make players think, take certain shots (like just blasting driver everywhere) out of play.

This years US Open is a good example, tough fair set up with the cream rising to the top and -13 winning compared to the same course earlier in the year with -19 winning and it being Mickleson who was no where near in the US Open because he couldn’t smash it everywhere.

But the pros are not happy when courses are set up so hard that level par is winning score, they always have something to moan about

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Sorry, though you might admire his honesty and willingness to speak out, I find statements like this from him, ironic and moronic in equal measure.

“Strategy, course management and shot making are important aspects of tournament golf that are being slowly taken out of the game at the top level, not just in Europe but worldwide," he claimed”

This from a guy often criticised, and critical of himself for all of the above, strategy, course management and shot making.
    So what you're saying is that he should shut up about it because you think it favours him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

prawnsambo wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that he should shut up about it because you think it favours him?

Actually, I think what he's saying is that Rory is just complaining for the sake of it or because this week didn't go the way he wanted it to.

I have to agree that turning tournaments into a birdie fest kind of spoils things, because it becomes something of a crap shoot. But he definitely picked the wrong tournament to make that point (for reasons I pointed out earlier in this thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    But the pros are not happy when courses are set up so hard that level par is winning score, they always have something to moan about

Maybe, just maybe, different pros are complaining about different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ridiculous scoring on the pga tour . -22 the leader with a round still to play .

• Advertisement

Anyone see Brooks' comments when asked about McIlroy.

"I've been out here for, what, five years. Rory hasn't won a major since I've been on the PGA Tour.
    So I just don't view it as a rivalry.
    I'm not looking at anybody behind me. I'm No 1 in the world. I've got open road in front of me I'm not looking in the rear-view mirror."

Roll on next season is all I all I say, this could get spicy. Imagine they're paired in the last day of Ryder Cup.

This could turn into the rivalry that we that though Rory V Speith or Rory V Day would turn into.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"I've been out here for, what, five years. Rory hasn't won a major since I've been on the PGA Tour.
    I'm not looking at anybody behind me. I'm No 1 in the world. I've got open road in front of me I'm not looking in the rear-view mirror."

Roll on next season is all I all I say, this could get spicy. Imagine they're paired in the last day of Ryder Cup.

This could turn into the rivalry that we that though Rory V Speith or Rory V Day would turn into.

To be fair he is 100% correct in what he says.
    Is he really saying that he doesnt seem him as a challenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

GreeBo wrote: »
    To be fair he is 100% correct in what he says.
    Is he really saying that he doesnt seem him as a challenger?

Well if he doesnt see the World No. 2 as a challenger he is either a liar or extremely arrogant, If McIllroy came out with a quote like that he would absolutely slaughtered here. Mcillroy has also finishd ahead of Koepka in 3 of the 5 seasons in the Fed Ex, Koepka has won 7 PGA titles, Mcillroy 8. Sounds like a close rivalry to me.

Though many people think Keopke is the typical American personality-less automaton, I like him. He showed that he wasn’t afraid to criticise fellow pros about slow play, like Mcilroy he isn’t afraid to speak his mind. I think it would be great if there was a bit of spite between them, the rivalry would drive both of them on, and to be honest, the game is a bit sterile and dull at the moment due to the lack of personalities. Woods and Michelson hated each other, everyone hated Singh, it used to be a bit more interesting.

Having said that, Keopke has a very valid point, since he came on tour, he hasn’t had to worry too much about Mcilroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Though many people think Keopke is the typical American personality-less automaton, I like him. He showed that he wasn’t afraid to criticise fellow pros about slow play, like Mcilroy he isn’t afraid to speak his mind. I think it would be great if there was a bit of spite between them, the rivalry would drive both of them on, and to be honest, the game is a bit sterile and dull at the moment due to the lack of personalities. Woods and Michelson hated each other, everyone hated Singh, it used to be a bit more interesting.

Having said that, Keopke has a very valid point, since he came on tour, he hasn’t had to worry too much about Mcilroy.

Agree, everyone does seem to hate Patrick Reid and I have always got the impession there are lots not too fond of Spieth, but there is an obvious lack of a one on one grudge.

Yeah I like Koepka. Like Rory he's not afraid to say what he thinks whether you agree with him or not. Play's fast but probably not as exciting to watch. Surprised to see that Rory has won more tournaments in that time.

Certainly has a chip on his shoulder and wasn't happy with Rory getting player of the year. I'd imagine they're both playing the WGC so maybe they'll be paired up there!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah I like Koepka. Like Rory he's not afraid to say what he thinks whether you agree with him or not. Play's fast but probably not as exciting to watch. Surprised to see that Rory has won more tournaments in that time.

Certainly has a chip on his shoulder and wasn't happy with Rory getting player of the year. I'd imagine they're both playing the WGC so maybe they'll be paired up there!

Unless they do something really stupid, these guys are set financially for life, winning then becomes about achievement/personal ambition. Mcilroy seems relaxed, what wil be will be, but if you through in a bit of spite, hopefully it would focus both their minds. Watching Spieth/Thomas/Day/Scott, though great golfers all, is literally mind numbing. Hopefully Mcilroy will take the bait and give him a dig back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

Unless they do something really stupid, these guys are set financially for life, winning then becomes about achievement/personal ambition. Mcilroy seems relaxed, what wil be will be, but if you through in a bit of spite, hopefully it would focus both their minds. Watching Spieth/Thomas/Day/Scott, though great golfers all, is literally mind numbing. Hopefully Mcilroy will take the bait and give him a dig back.

Spieth is great to watch when he's on form one of those players who can pull a rabbit out of a hat, the fact that his driving tends to be the weakest part of his game make him one of the more interesting players to watch as he always give himself a bit more work to do than he should (a bit like Phil) .

The context of the quote is in relation to Majors, so Brooks is correct, Rory has not been his rival at any stage for Brooks' Major wins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Brooks has improved a lot since Rory beat him by 19 shots in Hoylake in 2014 , would be great to see them go head to head more often .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement