Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

slave1 wrote: »
    Tiger 2000 PGA record....

21 Tournaments
    18 Top Tens including 9 wins (3 Majors) and 4 runner ups
    I assume that's just PGA Tour stats (as you say), but on the OWGR website he's listed as entering 22 that year, winning 10 and having 19 top tens. Assuming it's a European Tour entry and win on top of the PGA Tour record. The previous year it was 18/23 with 9 wins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Think they included his World Cup win (with David Duval), as this was a team event I excluded it (like The Presidents Cup win that year too)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Think they included his World Cup win (with David Duval), as this was a team event I excluded it (like The Presidents Cup win that year too)
    I had a look at the list on the OWGR website. The Johnnie Walker Classic was his last win of the year. I think that's the one missing as it's European/Asian/ANZ Tour. The World Cup isn't listed. I wouldn't have thought it could be as it's not a ranking tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

Dav010 wrote: »
    The tournaments this time of year are called wheelbarrow comps by the pros because of the huge prize money they offer to get golfers to play in them.

In fairness, I don't think a WGC can be classed as a wheelbarrow event as there are fairly onerous qualification criteria. I think the expression was first coined by Ernie Els when talking about the Nedbank Challenge, which at the time was an invitation only event with a very small field and fairly significant prize money for everyone down to last place.

Out of interest, looking at the finishing score board, was there a cut? There are a couple of big names missing.

Edit: it’s the Presidents cup, must be on soon, PGA tour website says Schauffle is the only US team member who agreed to play as defending champion.

I saw your comment above re the Presidents Cup and figured that probably explained why so many of the top Americans decided not to attend. But the Presidents Cup is 5 weeks from now, so it's not really a valid excuse for not taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

abff wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't think a WGC can be classed as a wheelbarrow event as there are fairly onerous qualification criteria. I think the expression was first coined by Ernie Els when talking about the Nedbank Challenge, which at the time was an invitation only event with a very small field and fairly significant prize money for everyone down to last place.

I saw your comment above re the Presidents Cup and figured that probably explained why so many of the top Americans decided not to attend. But the Presidents Cup is 5 weeks from now, so it's not really a valid excuse for not taking part.

Ya, I didn’t know it wasn’t until December, but the PGA tour site lists the US players not playing the ho are on the Presidents Cup team and make note of Shauffle being the only one who is. I wonder is there a “team bonding” or “try-out” weekend on somewhere so that they avoid the debacle like the Ryder Cup where there was discord over the pairings. Still, though I don’t know a lot about the WGC’s it seems odd that so many US players snubbed it, especially considering the prize money.

• Advertisement

Ya, I didn’t know it wasn’t until December, but the PGA tour site lists the US players not playing the ho are on the Presidents Cup team and make note of Shauffle being the only one who is. I wonder is there a “team bonding” or “try-out” weekend on somewhere so that they avoid the debacle like the Ryder Cup where there was discord over the pairings. Still, though I don’t know a lot about the WGC’s it seems odd that so many US players snubbed it, especially considering the prize money.
    I would imagine it's probably the location. Being in China probably doesn't appeal as much as if it was in the US. There was still a fair few there. Apart from Schauffele there was: Mickelson, Finau, Spieth, Reed, Bradley, Bubba and Kisner among the US entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Dog Murphy wrote: »
    Gaelic Games are a much bigger sport than Golf in Ireland.

This was not a major championship therefore for the average sports fan it has no real significance and doesn't merit the coverage a golf fan would think it should.

So you would have shown the GAA club games ahead of a minority sport like women’s hockey when the national team qualified for the Olympics? Bold Doggie!

It’s true - Shanghai was a mere $10 Million tournament. Sure the GAA take that on a wet Sunday in Nowlan Park!

Poor Rory may be bitter that Marty Morrissey wasn’t there to interview him but he must console himself with the lesser trappings of sporting greatness as his private jet gets him to Dublin in time for the last dance at Coppers ✈️

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What are you hoping for when you post this? A couple of pages of off topic crap usually follows. Do you need validation that much that you have to get those that have a different opinion, to agree with you?

WTH are you on about validation? I couldn’t give a shiny ****e if you agree with me or not. Greebo didn’t have to respond to the original (completely correct) post, but chose to, just like I chose to reply to him. Hope that’s ok with you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Back to chatting about Rory please folks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Great to see Rory backing his mate Shane to make the Ryder Cup team. I'd imagine they would make a great partnership if they were to be paired together.

https://twitter.com/IrishGolfDesk/status/1191644088501723136

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I just hope Lowry doesn’t go off a cliff after his major win. It can happen to players after winning major

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I just hope Lowry doesn’t go off a cliff after his major win. It can happen to players after winning major

Clarke, and to a lesser extent McDowell come to mind.

Clarke, and to a lesser extent McDowell come to mind.
    Clarke is a bit of an outlier. He was coming to the end of his competitive career and really wouldn't have been expected to win much more at his age anyway. Danny Willett would be the most recent example. I think Lowry is a different case though. He has had some decent finishes since the Open and has gained one position in the rankings. He just needs to keep it steady and he'll be fine imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I know this is the McIlroy thread but since we’re talking about Lowry I’m a bit concerned how he says he’s delighted to have won one major and how he’ll always have that. He never speaks about trying to go on and win more. Maybe it’s to keep pressure off himself and he has shown good form since the Open, but you’d like to think he had ambitions to win more.

tobsey wrote: »
    I know this is the McIlroy thread but since we’re talking about Lowry I’m a bit concerned how he says he’s delighted to have won one major and how he’ll always have that. He never speaks about trying to go on and win more. Maybe it’s to keep pressure off himself and he has shown good form since the Open, but you’d like to think he had ambitions to win more.
    Lowry thread is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Stat: this week is Rory's 500 week inside the top 10 of world rankings. Some achievement for a 30 year old.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Some shot into 18

If only the masters was next week....

Remind me wrote: »
    Some shot into 18

If only the masters was next week....

https://twitter.com/GOLFTV/status/1197493225969373185?s=09

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

64 for McIlroy in Dubai, his lowest career round in a tournament where he already held the career scoring average record.

This is the 12th time since the beginning of 2013 that Rory has opened a tournament worldwide with 65 or lower - amazingly he hasn't won any of them.

Second stat is pretty amazing actually. Shot on 18 was incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

64 for McIlroy in Dubai, his lowest career round in a tournament where he already held the career scoring average record.

This is the 12th time since the beginning of 2013 that Rory has opened a tournament worldwide with 65 or lower - amazingly he hasn't won any of them.

Second stat is pretty amazing actually. Shot on 18 was incredible

Saw that earlier, How many was he leading after the 65 I wonder?

A lot of 66’s and 67’s in there to begin with which he has gone on and won.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I have watched that video about 10 times. The sound when those lads flush them time and time again. It's incredible

Brilliant 3 wood from 180 yards there from Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Brilliant 3 wood from 180 yards there from Rory.

Try 285

Try 285

Yeah i'm only messing. I was expecting them to mention how far out he was in the clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

It was his putting today that was excellent, quite unlucky on 3 putts lipping out but still sunk quite a lot of very good putts.
    The pace was very impressive, misses going very close. We know what to expect from the driver but when putting and wedges are dialled, he's phenomenal.

Round highlights up on European tour YouTube channel.

That's not his usual caddy though!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Round highlights up on European tour YouTube channel.

That's not his usual caddy though!

Rugby player Niall O'Connor apparently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Harry’s wife had a baby a few weeks ago so he’s taking some time off

Keano wrote: »
    Harry’s wife had a baby a few weeks ago so he’s taking some time off

Could be an expensive week to take time off :-)

• Advertisement

Not so good today follows up a 64 with a 74 to lie 6 shots off the lead.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement