Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sorry but thats compete and utter balls, final hypothetical: if that shot had gone in and it had been darling Rory who had made it would ye still be calling it disgraceful?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Thargor wrote: »
    Sorry but thats compete and utter balls, final hypothetical: if that shot had gone in and it had been darling Rory who had made it would ye still be calling it disgraceful?

YES, and yes to any other scenarios you can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

You really don't know much about golf do you? And to suggest we would think any different if it was Rory is just childish.

The FACT is - it was a very poor shot. It was only a result of his ignorance and luck that he got lucky and the ball bounced towards the green. To think any else is just silly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Is it disgraceful when the shot is that good though? If it had gone in would it still be disgraceful?

You are joking right??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

HighLine wrote: »
    Definitely. And to make matters worse.. apparently he was wearing a black band of some sort in respect for Philip Hughes who, as we know, died as a result of a ball strike to the head.

What I don't get is that not only is he at fault (and his is the primary fault and has 95% of the blame for not calling) but on that tee box are 3 other professionals (2x caddie and 1 x playing partner) and possibly a rules official and none of them called 4.
    If he came near me with a signed glove or ball I'd shove it right up his @#$£;
    There was a lot of sympathy shown to a Spanish (???) player on a European Tour event who was struck on a parallel fairway which is as it should be. But these guys have no respect for any of the spectators.
    The irony of wearing the arm band for Phil Hughes is beyond parody.

In our house the rule is we dislike players who are slow or who do not shout fore. As my son reminds me, its amazing how few are left after a couple of months of TV golf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

who is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hoping Rory puts in 2 low rounds over the weekend. Also hoping this twat Chalmers collapses and somehow comes last. This was such a blatant purposeful non-fore call in search of a nice bounce off a spectator's head. How this is allowed to happen is beyond me.

http://instagram.com/p/v77NnSGg8z/?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video&modal=true

Given all the furor that is happening in Australia at the moment from the head injury sustained by cricketer Phil Hughes that cost him his life this week you'd imagine every professional down there would be shouting fore.

As has already been said, Disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Also everyone, please stop feeding the troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Do you play golf?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Don't feed the troll lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Rikand wrote: »
    Given all the furor that is happening in Australia at the moment from the head injury sustained by cricketer Phil Hughes that cost him his life this week you'd imagine every professional down there would be shouting fore.

As has already been said, Disgraceful

Only just seen this episode now.....shocking from Chalmers. I know some players are a bit slow to shout fore, but that was clearly dangerous for the spectators, who should have been warned. Hope he scores really badly in the next two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

A horror show from Rory.
    6 over with 1 to play to end any chance of retaining that trophy.

ForeRight wrote: »
    A horror show from Rory.
    6 over with 1 to play to end any chance of retaining that trophy.

Shot a 76 - didn't see it but couldn't see that coming! And Chalmers is in the joint lead :mad:

That was some round from Jordan Spieth this morning. To give you an idea of how good - check out Rory's tweet...

https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/538962492605857792

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Very admirable thing to say. Couldn't imagine a prominent former World no. 1 saying anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Would love a three way battle for the green jacket between Fowler, Speith and Rory down the back 9 next year.

Fair play to Rory for that comment - brilliant from Spieth.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Only just seen this episode now.....shocking from Chalmers. I know some players are a bit slow to shout fore, but that was clearly dangerous for the spectators, who should have been warned. Hope he scores really badly in the next two days.

Dammit, he did well enough to get a place in the Open next year.

Seems Monty might be sampling too much of the old Christmas tipple .....

Monty: McIlroy better now than Woods ever was
    "Tiger Woods is going to come back into the frame," Montgomerie told Kicca.com. "Is he going to be able to get back, not just to the levels he was, but better than that? Because that's where Rory McIlroy's taken the standard of golf: to one level beyond where Tiger was."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Seems Monty might be sampling too much of the old Christmas tipple .....

Monty: McIlroy better now than Woods ever was

It's hard to compare because time has moved on but I don't agree with you. It's pretty certain though that Woods is not currently as good and will not be as good as McIlroy..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Wonder if Mcilroy wasn't one of "ours" from the ET in Monty ' s mind would he be saying the same thing? Stupid thing to say imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rory - didn't win sports personality of the year.

A joke.

But - I guess the fact he plays golf , declared for Ireland and only one golf event is on British tv not helping him

As someone who has been a massive fan of both sports for over 20 years, I can say Rory was robbed. Also... It's called sports "personality"... of which, Lewis has none.

https://twitter.com/jamiecweir/status/544257740399738880

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I wasn't at all surprised. My prediction was Hamilton, McIlroy, Bale. Should have had a bet on 1-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Its a number of things really that cost Rory imo. (1.) There is very little golf on terrestrial TV in the UK anymore, (2.) May have been his negative media profile re Caroline Wozniacki and (3.) is that they simple see him as Irish and are more likely to vote for a British person.

Well done to the engineers.
    How you can give an award to someone who basically had a 50% chance of winning (his teammate the other 50%) is beyond me.

Letree wrote: »
    Its a number of things really that cost Rory imo. (1.) There is very little golf on terrestrial TV in the UK anymore, (2.) May have been his negative media profile re Caroline Wozniacki and (3.) is that they simple see him as Irish and are more likely to vote for a British person.

I would flip 2. around and say that people wouldn't be too bothered about his Rory's split but the fact that Hamiliton has a celebrity on his arm would be a massive positive.
    Kim Kardashin won it for Hamiliton... :)
    (I know it's not her but they look a bit alike and can't spell the other ones second name).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

PARlance wrote: »
    Well done to the engineers.
    How you can give an award to someone who basically had a 50% chance of winning (his teammate the other 50%) is beyond me.

I had a look at the past winners and Hamilton was runner up twice. Maybe there was a bit of that in the outcome. I think Rory was robbed though. 2 Majors and a Ryder Cup medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I wouldn't say Rory cares in the slightest. I bet he had no interest in being there at all last night. It's the biggest load of nonsense on to all year.

That and the royal variety show

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 22 Heavy Pierre

He'd some sour puss on him when he came 2nd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement