Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

I think Rory's achievements were all down to him. Hamilton on the other hand had a car that gave him a big advantage over the rest bar his team-mate. In reality Hamilton simply beat one other person. OK it was still a great achievement but not in the same league as Rory's year.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

stockdam wrote: »
    I think Rory's achievements were all down to him. Hamilton on the other hand had a car that gave him a big advantage over the rest bar his team-mate. In reality Hamilton simply beat one other person. OK it was still a great achievement but not in the same league as Rory's year.

Spot on, couldn't have said it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

stockdam wrote: »

Too true. Hamilton won a championship in arguably the least competitive season of F1 ever....also the title is Sports "Personality" of the year, and Hamilton has about as much personality of a sheet of blank paper

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Hamilton's world championship is much fresher in people's minds, and to the casual voter who may not follow F1 or golf the title of world champion is probably a lot more impressive than double major winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

....also the title is Sports "Personality" of the year, and Hamilton has about as much personality of a sheet of blank paper

+1 I think the 'personality' element of the award has been shown to be meaningless when someone like Ryan Giggs was able to win it. Personality me arse!

James Corrigan in the Telegraph isn't too pleased at Rory not getting the gong....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sports-personality-of-the-year/11294032/Sports-Personality-Rory-McIlroy-snub-is-a-travesty-he-should-not-bother-turning-up-again.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Shame he did not win, still an excuse to post this shot, what a wonderful photo!

B42zKYXIQAAXBtm.jpg:large

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭valoren

Top of both the PGA and European Tour money lists.
    Double major winner.
    Integral member of the Ryder Cup winning team.
    The world's number 1 golfer.
    First european to win 3 of the 4 majors.

I'd take a year like that over some obselete Beeb gong to be fair.
    If it was selected by a committee and he didn't win then it would be a snub.
    That it is a public vote renders it obselete as this years winner proves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

valoren wrote: »
    First european to win 3 of the 4 majors.

First in the modern era but 3rd overall

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I don't think Rory would have the same pull in UK as he does here. Anyway, I'd say he doesn't care a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

slave1 wrote: »
    Shame he did not win, still an excuse to post this shot, what a wonderful photo!

Fair play to you for saving the photo...

Unfortunately the phone used to take it was wiped shortly after...

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

vienne86 wrote: »
    I don't think Rory would have the same pull in UK as he does here. Anyway, I'd say he doesn't care a toss.

I think he doesn't appreciate the regard the Irish people hold him in. He is desperate for recognition and adoration in Britain. He sees himself as British. He couldn't hide the disappointment in his face at the BBC Awards.

Rory won our version in 2011 did he even turn up to the RTE Awards i can't remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Letree wrote: »
    I think he doesn't appreciate the regard the Irish people hold him in. He is desperate for recognition and adoration in Britain. He sees himself as British. He couldn't hide the disappointment in his face at the BBC Awards.

Rory won our version in 2011 did he even turn up to the RTE Awards i can't remember?

That's a ridiculous statement imo.

He doesn't appreciate the regard we hold him in? Can you give some examples of that?
    He supports the Irish Open when he could easily decide not to, he has decided to represent us in the Olympics, sure even today he was down visiting Coolmore Stud.

Rory is the world number 1 and famous world wide, I really doubt he craves the attention of anyone.

I probably wouldn't turn up to the RTE awards tbh. RTE is a state broadcaster, I don't think there's a strong connection between the North and it. The BBC is the main broadcaster that Rory would have grown up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

If he was so desperate he'd have decided to play for them in the Olympics. He'd every right to have been disappointed even the guy that won it said he thought McIlroy should have won it.

PARlance wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous statement imo.

He doesn't appreciate the regard we hold him in? Can you give some examples of that?
    He supports the Irish Open when he could easily decide not to, he has decided to represent us in the Olympics, sure even today he was down visiting Coolmore Stud.

Rory is the world number 1 and famous world wide, I really doubt he craves the attention of anyone.

I probably wouldn't turn up to the RTE awards tbh. RTE is a state broadcaster, I don't think there's a strong connection between the North and it. The BBC is the main broadcaster that Rory would have grown up with.

He is big into the Irish Open when its up North. The last time it was South in Kerry he messed about and missed the cut.

If he didn't turn up for our award then that was a snub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

He is big into the Irish Open when its up North. The last time it was South in Kerry he messed about and missed the cut.

Oh. You're one of them.

If he turned up to every Mickey Mouse awards gig he wouldn't have time for golf.

Maybe someday he'll get the adoration of a guy that thinks Fota Island is in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Great points very well made.
    No arguing with these stonewall facts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Letree wrote:

I've read and written some silly post on boards.......but this takes all biscuits........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Actually the last time it was South in Kerry he shot -3 and finished T34th

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/european/leaderboard/2011/161

But let's not let facts get in the way of your hatred for Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do not discuss players nationalities or who they should play for.
    no more warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭the anser

His golf swing is a thing of utter beauty, he could/should dominate the Majors for the next few years,when he's on form no-one will get anywhere near him, he loves the game and seems to be a nice bloke (despite the haters) and hey he's representing us at the Olympics? What's the problem.............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

I think he doesn't appreciate the regard the Irish people hold him in. He is desperate for recognition and adoration in Britain. He sees himself as British.

The guy grew up in Northern Ireland and doesn't give a toss about petty politic nonsense and for that he should be applauded. He's not desperate for anything. Take him for what he currently is and that's the best golfer in N.I., Ireland, the UK, Europe and the World.

PARlance wrote: »
    If he turned up to every Mickey Mouse awards gig he wouldn't have time for golf.

RTE Sports Personality of the year is a Micky mouse award??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

RTE Sports Personality of the year is a Micky mouse award??

Yes

I see Rory found his way to the RTE Awards after all. He was partying with Micky Mouse all night apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/30606378

Rory McIlroy's reaction to Sweet Caroline being played over the PA at the Ulster game. Pretty funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Not much he could do in that situation, other than shrug it off...

Here's to a great 2015 for him. I hope it all goes at least half as well as 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Funny reply from Rory to guy on twitter...
    http://balls.ie/golf/come-rory-mcilroy-twitter-best-not-miss/

334621.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

See he's down to play this week in Abu Dabi. A few more big names in the field too so I feel the season is getting under way now. Looking forward to Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He's been there a week or so now, horrible life really :o

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement