Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Judd Trump lost to Rory MacLeod in the first round of the snooker 2 years ago, and the pundits were saying he had a back injury. MacLeod said in response, I'm 46 years old, we all have aches and pains. Every golfer could have an excuse for underperforming. Look at Camilo Villegas, played the Korn Ferry this weekend a couple of weeks after his young daughter died. There are more people in the world than Rory, and how many excuses do you need. He is not performing, and whatever the reason, I think one of them is too many spoofers in the camp. Thin them out, how many do you need? A caddy, a coach, who else. You don't need sports psychologists or arse lickers. Just needs to play with freedom and start enjoying himself again.

Pretty sure he doesn’t use a psychologist. He said he reads plenty of books on the topic alright. Think he really only has Caddy, coach and putting coach.

First thing he needs to do is bring back that spider putter. While he doesn’t set the world alight with it he looks way more comfortable over the ball with it

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Dav010 wrote: »
    Personally, I think it is bad form for you and rooney30 to be speculating about personal/mental issues. He is just playing badly, we know nothing about his personal issues/mental health.

He is in a slump, he will get out of it.

I'm not speculating anything about Rory, I am just replying to someone making light of mental health issues and a specific instance of Bubba who was open about it and a general comment on how you never know what anyone is thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Judd Trump lost to Rory MacLeod in the first round of the snooker 2 years ago, and the pundits were saying he had a back injury. MacLeod said in response, I'm 46 years old, we all have aches and pains. Every golfer could have an excuse for underperforming. Look at Camilo Villegas, played the Korn Ferry this weekend a couple of weeks after his young daughter died. There are more people in the world than Rory, and how many excuses do you need. He is not performing, and whatever the reason, I think one of them is too many spoofers in the camp. Thin them out, how many do you need? A caddy, a coach, who else. You don't need sports psychologists or arse lickers. Just needs to play with freedom and start enjoying himself again.

Is Rory's team not quite tight as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Remind me wrote: »
    Is Rory's team not quite tight as it is?

I hope it is, but my point is that it is a simple game, keep it simple. Hopefully there will be a revival at some point soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Missed two putts inside 4 feet, and another inside 3 feet. He should be leading here. He’s made some decent birdie putts but those misses are shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭blackcard

tobsey wrote: »
    Missed two putts inside 4 feet, and another inside 3 feet. He should be leading here. He’s made some decent birdie putts but those misses are shocking.

3' 2", 3' 7" and 3' 10". Missed a number of short putts last week but this is unbelievably poor. 3 putts from 12, 15 and 17 feet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

blackcard wrote: »
    3' 2", 3' 7" and 3' 10". Missed a number of short putts last week but this is unbelievably poor.

The 3’ 2” on 13 was the one he made. He left it that far after being 2’ 6” away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭blackcard

tobsey wrote: »
    The 3’ 2” on 13 was the one he made. He left it that far after being 2’ 6” away!

The frustrating thing is that he has drove the ball well and played well tee to green this week compared to last week, would be in the lead except for those missed short putts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Russman

I’d say we might see the spider back in action tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭abff

If he’s sinking long putts and missing short ones, it has to be psychological.

The one he missed from 2’ 6” didn’t even touch the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

He is in a good position and played poor on the greens. If he can keep his form Tee-green and get some sort of rhythm on the greens then he has a chance. stating the obvious I know.

I'd say its mainly in the head his poor putting. no pressure on the practice green I reckon he isn't missing any of those putts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Russman wrote: »

My uncle would be my aunt if....

We've all had rounds like this, haven't we, where one part of the game costs us a good round. Admittedly, short putts being responsible is particularly frustrating. And worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Having watched an couple of hours of coverage last night, Rory wasn't the only one missing short putts. He did look frustrated though when missing them, like it was just one of those days. Still a decent first round and signs he's coming back into a bit of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Ya missing short putts are a killer, but at the same time he’s coming tied 4th...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

My uncle would be my aunt if....

We've all had rounds like this, haven't we, where one part of the game costs us a good round. Admittedly, short putts being responsible is particularly frustrating. And worrying.

We aren’t one of the best players in the world, and this isn’t a one off.

We aren’t one of the best players in the world, and this isn’t a one off.

Is that the Royal “we”?

If it’s a reference to Rory, while I agree that he has had problems with putting on and off, saying that he’s not ‘one of the best‘ players in the world is just ludicrous.

abff wrote: »
    Is that the Royal “we”?

If it’s a reference to Rory, while I agree that he has had problems with putting on and off, saying that he’s not ‘one of the best‘ players in the world is just ludicrous.

“We” isn’t of the Royal variety, Rory is one of the best golfers in the world and his putting struggles are not new nor uncommon. We/us on the other hand, not being among the best players in the world, it is no big thing if we have off days.

“We” isn’t of the Royal variety, Rory is one of the best golfers in the world and his putting struggles are not new nor uncommon. We/us on the other hand, not being among the best players in the world, it is no big thing if we have off days.

Sorry, I get it now. We’re in agreement so.

abff wrote: »
    Sorry, I get it now. We’re in agreement so.

No prob, poor syntax on my part.

• Russman wrote: »

On the money - he's changed his putter for today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Motoring today, seems happier in these tougher conditions where 2-putt-pars are the order of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Great to see Rory is stimulated this week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

only home now, what's the coverage like? Would love to see him put a run together

Great to see Rory is stimulated this week.

I wouldn't notice that type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I wouldn't notice that type of thing.

I wouldn't myself either but Sky comms have told me at least a dozen times!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Certainly an improvement on recent performances. Like the spider putter in his hand.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well we probably just got the real reason why Rory ain’t fully focused the last few weeks.

He is about to become a father for the first time to a baby girl due this week.

Fair play for keeping it quiet for so long. Announced as a baby girl.

As a fan of his I was wondering when this was going to happen alright. Had he it scheduled for the right week!!!!

Edit: also not sure if Steve sands was really supposed to be the one to reveal that on live tv!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

Well we probably just got the real reason why Rory ain’t fully focused the last few weeks.

As a fan of his I was wondering when this was going to happen alright. Had he it scheduled for the right week!!!!

Edit: also not sure if Steve sands was really supposed to be the one to reveal that on live tv!!!

I thought his mind was elsewhere as he Couldnt conceive....brilliant news...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,364 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great news for them. Wonder will his wife let him out more than once a week?

• Advertisement

Started with a 6 today at the par 5 first, but bounced back straight away with a birdie 3 at the second.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement