Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Nice start for Rory this morning.....67, joint lead. Quiet first 9 but then started holing the putts.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Just got a hole in 1 there now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He's some man for one man. Great birdie to finish as well and he's within striking distance of the lead! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

He was destroying the course today, should have had four more birdies easily if the putting was better.

He looks in great shape for this time of year, bodes well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »

Fair play to Rory. Great performance today.

Unreal for his last 7 European Tour tournaments

1st - British Open
    1st - WGC Bridgestone
    1st - PGA Championship
    2nd - Alfred Dunhill Links
    2nd - Race to Dubai Final
    2nd - Abu Dhabi HSBC
    1st - Dubai Desert Classic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

How far ahead is he in the world rankings now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

charlieIRL wrote: »
    How far ahead is he in the world rankings now?

187 points. He has 583 Stenson has 396.

To put that in context he got 80 points or winning at the weekend and his lead of 187 on its own would put him at World No 15 ahead of Dubuisson.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just to put some perspective (with the knowledge there was a tweak - but not much - in the ranking system since)....
    Rory is #1 with 11.66 points, that's just over 4 points ahead of Stenson. That's with the record like what Rikand posted

Inevitable Tiger comparison (just in case some of us are not old enough to witness his 2000/2001 seasons.

In June 2001 Tiger had 32.44 points and was 19.4 points ahead of Mickelson.
    He was winning everything, held all 4 majors at the time and other titles so he was simply taking all the points of offer almost. 6 wins in a row, a 45% PGA winning average.
    In the 2000 US Open only one player broke par, Tiger at -12, his nearest competitor was 3 over.

This is something Rory should be well aware of and be aiming for, now THAT would be something to emulate...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

cairny wrote: »

To put that in context he got 80 points or winning at the weekend and his lead of 187 on its own would put him at World No 15 ahead of Dubuisson.

The rankings are based on average points per tournament over the previous two years (subject to a maximum of 52 tournaments and a minimum divisor of 40) with a reduction applied to points earned from 3 months onwards. McIlroy is indeed 187 points ahead of Stenson, but he has only played 50 tournaments over the past two years, whereas Stenson has played 56, but only the most recent 52 count towards the rankings.

McIlroy's 583 points over 50 tournaments gives him an average of 11.66, while Stenson's total of 396 points over 52 tournaments gives him an average of 7.62.

McIlroy's win on Saturday was worth 50 points. If he had failed to pick up any points from the event, his average would be 1 point less and his gap over Stenson would be 3.04 points instead of 4.04 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

cairny wrote: »

You are actually wrong there on both instances.

OWGR is not done on the total points a player has, it's done on averages over last 2 years. Rory's avg is 11.66 and Stenson is at 7.62, so he is 4.04 points ahead.... enough on it's own to put him @ world no 18 :eek:

he actually only got 50 points for winning, he also got 30 points for coming second in Abu Dhabi, so it's 80 points gained for 2015. On the flip side, he has lost 38.08 points because the OWGR is done on averages, so he is dropping points he had won from the oldest events. Net result is a gain in points this year so far of 41.92.

Edit... I had started this before slave and abff posted but got called away!

Oh yea, I thought I heard commentator say yesterday that with this win he would be 12 points clear. I though it was a bit much, so either commentator didn't have a breeze or I need to clear the wax out of my ear

I'm on a tablet now so not going to check up but seeing as it was 2 years ago would he not be losing fractions of points as he probably had the rest of those points reduced slowly at weekly increments over the last ~90weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm on a tablet now so not going to check up but seeing as it was 2 years ago would he not be losing fractions of points as he probably had the rest of those points reduced slowly at weekly increments over the last ~90weeks

Events that took place within the last 13 weeks retain their full ranking points. After that, they lose 1/92nd of their value each week. If a player has played in more than 52 ranking events over the two year period, the points from any prior events will be eliminated both above and below the line when calculating his average points.

In Rory's case, any event up to and including the Dunhill Links in October 2014 will be losing 1/92nd of its points value each week. At present, this works out at a loss of 7.6 points each week, but this figure will change over the season as some events fall outside the two year window and other events pass the three month point and start losing part of their points value.

The thing to remember about this system is that the number of points a player loses in respect of a particular event is the same each week from week 13 onwards. The weekly loss is 1/92nd of the original points value, not 1/92nd of the residual balance.

abff wrote: »
    Events that took place within the last 13 weeks retain their full ranking points. After that, they lose 1/92nd of their value each week. If a player has played in more than 52 ranking events over the two year period, the points from any prior events will be eliminated both above and below the line when calculating his average points.

In Rory's case, any event up to and including the Dunhill Links in October 2014 will be losing 1/92nd of its points value each week. At present, this works out at a loss of 7.6 points each week, but this figure will change over the season as some events fall outside the two year window and other events pass the three month point and start losing part of their points value.

The thing to remember about this system is that the number of points a player loses in respect of a particular event is the same each week from week 13 onwards. The weekly loss is 1/92nd of the original points value, not 1/92nd of the residual balance.

Excellent explanation abff. I think I understand it, but will still be coming on to read your posts on boards on a weekend rather than trying to work out for myself anyone's ranking for the following week!

That's my understanding too, I think its the best system out there, it distinguishes between winning against a strong field versus winning against a weak field as the points on offer are rated based on the field in play (subject to minimum points) and I like the majors having their premium ranking points too.

My only negatives are the closed field events where lots of points are on offer to a chosen few but if you're among the best in the world then I can live with that gravy train. It also has a weakness when someone is not playing (well) as it does not accelerate their points loss quick enough, e.g. Tiger injured or Luke's fall from grace a year or so ago.

Overall, the best ranking system golf has had.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

*Just a reminder everyone, there is to be NO DISCUSSION of the ongoing court case, thanks*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

slave1 wrote: »
    Just to put some perspective (with the knowledge there was a tweak - but not much - in the ranking system since)....
    Rory is #1 with 11.66 points, that's just over 4 points ahead of Stenson. That's with the record like what Rikand posted

Inevitable Tiger comparison (just in case some of us are not old enough to witness his 2000/2001 seasons.

In June 2001 Tiger had 32.44 points and was 19.4 points ahead of Mickelson.
    He was winning everything, held all 4 majors at the time and other titles so he was simply taking all the points of offer almost. 6 wins in a row, a 45% PGA winning average.
    In the 2000 US Open only one player broke par, Tiger at -12, his nearest competitor was 3 over.

This is something Rory should be well aware of and be aiming for, now THAT would be something to emulate...

I don't disagree with any of Tiger's stats, but I'd wonder should Rory even care what another player did or didn't do ?
    I'm sure he's trying to be the first Rory McIlroy, not the second Tiger Woods.
    Of course, Tiger was a once in a generation golfer, no dispute there, but personally I think Rory is this generation's premier player and will be setting his own records. How they stack up against Jones, Hogan, Nicklaus or Woods, meh, who cares, they're all at the top of the list of all-time greats IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

charlieIRL wrote: »
    *Just a reminder everyone, there is to be NO DISCUSSION of the ongoing court case, thanks*

To be honest, it's ridiculous that we can't discuss something that is all over today's media. I'm not sure what legal advice you are getting, but there is no problem with discussing details and facts that are highlighted during the hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

We have to respect boards.ie wishes, if anyone has the time to look here for info, then they have the time to look onto irishgolfdesk twitter where he is tweeting blow by blow accounts from inside the court.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

From the charter

Discussion of Court Cases, whether they are pending, ongoing or closed is forbidden on boards. Dy discussing cases, there has been an emerging trend of defence teams increasingly looking for these sorts of issues to collapse trials, we are making it clear and stated policy of Boards.ie that you can no longer discuss an active/sitting court case as pretty much any sort of commentary on the issue can be classified as contempt. Offering opinion on the innocence or guilt of the parties involved for example is a definite no-no.

Next person to break this will be getting a little holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I saw a tweet from Paul Flynn (Dublin Footballer) that he walked past Rory in town yesterday and was starstruck.

I guess that tells you something about the esteem he is held in when he has that effect on another elite sportsman.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to add, and this is not a topic for further discussion here, none of the Mods (or indeed CMods) have had legal training. Boards prohibits discussion of ongoing cases because it may result in someone (possibly inadvertently) posting something that could be considered prejudicial or otherwise in contempt of court. The site adopts a better safe than sorry policy on such matters. Arguably we could allow posters to post links to press articles which summarise proceedings (and news media will have access to legal support so will in all probability have a lot more assurance over their own legal position), but it's very easy for posters to do their own searches. Hence we decided a blanket ban was entirely appropriate here.

Again though, please do not respond to this post in-thread. If you have any questions about moderation please take it to PM

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I saw a tweet from Paul Flynn (Dublin Footballer) that he walked past Rory in town yesterday and was starstruck.

I guess that tells you something about the esteem he is held in when he has that effect on another elite sportsman.

Yeah but Flynn, at the end of the day, is still an Amateur ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

You're comparing a part-time GAA player to the world's number 1 golfer - they're not even close to being in the same category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Rikand wrote: »
    Yeah but Flynn, at the end of the day, is still an Amateur ;)

Not disputing that, but he is a household name in his sport which as a result makes him very high profile in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Not disputing that, but he is a household name in his sport which as a result makes him very high profile in Ireland.

I'm guessing you're Paul Flynn?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

not sure I'd pick Paul Flynn out if he was standing in front of me. Jayo for sure, but not Paul Flynn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Paul Flynn's lawyers have been alerted to this scandalous defamation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Paul Flynn's lawyers have been alerted to this scandalous defamation

NO POSTS ABOUT PAUL FLYNNS LEGAL AFFAIRS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement