Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

Denny61 wrote: »
    Money and fame has gone to his head .add in arrogance and a artificial American twang. To this self centered golfer ..and you end up with a very inconsistent golfer ..and will never become one of the golfers.....end of

Rory McIlroy has consistently been one of the best golfers in the world over the past decade, look at how much time he occupied in the top ten of world rankings. He goes off the boil slightly and they come crawling out of the woodwork in droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

CMcsporty wrote: »
    What’s your hot pick?
    That he’ll contend?

Genuine question

All the players ahead of him have a grand total of one major win combined. Probably has more wins generally then them all combined too. He knows how to get it done better than any of them.

Because of that I find it pretty foolish to write him off completely imo, no matter how much you may hate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Rory McIlroy has consistently been one of the best golfers in the world over the past decade, look at how much time he occupied in the top ten of world rankings. He goes off the boil slightly and they come crawling out of the woodwork in droves.

He’s just shot a 68 at Winged Foot. 1 of 7 players to only shoot under par.
    He’s 7th
    What do you mean off the boil?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    All the players ahead of him have a grand total of one major win combined. Probably has more wins generally then them all combined too. He knows how to get it done better than any of them.

Because of that I find it pretty foolish to write him off completely imo, no matter how much you may hate him.

He’s never won a Major without leading after R3.
    Tiger only managed to do it on his 15th attempt.

Call me foolish? He won’t win tomorrow no matter how much you love him!

He’s never won a Major without leading after R3.
    Tiger only managed to do it on his 15th attempt.

I didn't say he is going to win tomorrow. I said it is foolish to write a 4 time major winner, within shouting distance, out completely when the players in front of him, bar one, have never won one at all.

And you are being foolish. You have a history of foolishness on here. I'm sure everyone else can see that for themselves.

• Advertisement

I didn't say he is going to win tomorrow. I said it is foolish to write a 4 time major winner, within shouting distance, out completely when the players in front of him, bar one, have never won one at all.

And you are being foolish. You have a history of foolishness on here. I'm sure everyone else can see that for themselves.

Give over!
    The proof is in the pudding. I was right before btw!
    I’ll be proven right again tomorrow.
    Foolish people wouldn’t know how many first time major winners there has been since McIlroy last won a major.
    Could you tell me that?

For the record I don’t hate McIlroy.
    But I do have zero tolerance at this stage for his excuses.

Give over!
    The proof is in the pudding. I was right before btw!
    I’ll be proven right again tomorrow.
    Foolish people wouldn’t know how many first time major winners there has been since McIlroy last won a major.
    Could you tell me that?

For the record I don’t hate McIlroy.
    But I do have zero tolerance at this stage for his excuses.

What I do know is that he has won 4 majors since anyone else ahead of him on the leaderboard won one.

Not sure what excuses McIlroy ever gives other than giving an honest appraisal of the state of his game when asked by media, but sure I will leave you with your own "tolerance"s there.

He probably has a 5% chance of winning tomorrow, are you going to come back to say you were "proven right" yet again if he doesn't happen to overhaul the 6 shots? Christ it would nearly be funny if it wasn't so sad.

That’s how odds work!!! A hot favourite for a golf tournament only has 9% chance of winning.
    I’ll tell you the answer by the way! 71% of the last 6 years of major winners have been first timers.
    I won’t be told that I’m been foolish when all I’m saying is the truth.
    You continue to not engage in conversation but only to call me names. Please stop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Rory, DJ, Rahm and Thomas have been fighting for world number one for over a year at this stage. Rory is playing them off the course at this stage and still getting crap. Perspective means nothing to some people. A top 5 would still be a massive failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Can't see anyone from Rory down winning this. Still in with a shot. But that 6 on the 4th in r2 will be his undoing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

6 back but who's knows, Wolff and bryson could easily shoot 74. Hasn't been anywhere near his best but you certainly couldn't rule him out just yet, will need to get off to a good start.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good lad Sporty, you're like mystic Meg saying a guy who's 6 shots back won't win!!

Who's your money on tonight?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I hope he doesn't try and force anything to get some early birdies, find that leads to his undoing. A -2 or -3 round will be interesting, the birdies dont have to come in the first 6 holes either

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If the course set up is very difficult today, there are lots of golfers that can’t be ruled out. That does not mean you have to think Mcilroy is going to win though. He needs to play really well and handle the pressure when he makes a mistake to win, not something he always does on Sunday. Those around him also have to do that of course.

And to use the “well he has won 4 majors” line to say his winning experience is an advantage is tiresome, do you think the other golfers care?

Dav010 wrote: »
    If the course set up is very difficult today, there are lots of golfers that can’t be ruled out. That does not mean you have to think Mcilroy is going to win though. He needs to play really well and handle the pressure when he makes a mistake to win, not something he always does on Sunday. Those around him also have to do that of course.

And to use the “well he has won 4 majors” line to say his winning experience is an advantage is tiresome, do you think the other golfers care?

You need to reread the posts, because you clearly havent picked them up right.

I was responding to posts claiming there is a 0 possibility of him winning. Regardless of what you think of McIlroy, a guy in the 4th last group with 4 majors and a bunch of untested players in front of him has a chance today.

Surely even you must see that?

I'm not saying he will win, as I said it is probably a 5% chance. I'm just saying it's a foolish statement to claim somebody in that position has 0 possibility of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's going to be interesting. Wolff has a two shot lead which is not exactly home and hosed. That course can absolutely cause you to bleed shots if you're not careful. And being careful is not always guaranteed to keep you out of trouble either. If asked to place a bet on the outcome, I'd be struggling to pick a winner.

You need to reread the posts, because you clearly havent picked them up right.

I was responding to posts claiming there is a 0 possibility of him winning. Regardless of what you think of McIlroy, a guy in the 4th last group with 4 majors and a bunch of untested players in front of him has a chance today.

Surely even you must see that?

I'm not saying he will win, as I said it is probably a 5% chance. I'm just saying it's a foolish statement to claim somebody in that position has 0 possibility of winning.

I’ve read the posts, he has a chance, but what’s your problem with posters having an opinion that he won’t win?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I'd say par wins this

I’ve read the posts, he has a chance, but what’s your problem with posters having an opinion that he won’t win?

They are perfectly fine to have an opinion that doesn't make logical sense. As I am to point out that opinion is foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's going to be interesting. Wolff has a two shot lead which is not exactly home and hosed. That course can absolutely cause you to bleed shots if you're not careful. And being careful is not always guaranteed to keep you out of trouble either. If asked to place a bet on the outcome, I'd be struggling to pick a winner.

Spot on. Look at Reed yesterday. -1 for the front 9 and cruising. The commentators couldn't praise him enough. Shot +8 for the back nine. The tournament can be won from anyone from +1 (possibly even +2) or better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'd say par wins this

Do we know if the course is going to be set up any harder or easier today?

They are perfectly fine to have an opinion that doesn't make logical sense. As I am to point out that opinion is foolish.

You are then electing yourself as the thread arbitrator of what is logical and foolish, both opposing opinions of him winning and tanking have merits.

You are then electing yourself as the thread arbitrator of what is logical and foolish, both opposing opinions of him winning and tanking have merits.

You still are failing to get it - I agree he could do well or badly later. That is not the point. I would say to read the posts again, but invariably it will go around in circles. So I'm just going to leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

I’ve a feeling Wolfe and Bryson will blow up . That leaves Rory two shots back . He is in with a real shout

rooney30 wrote: »
    I’ve a feeling Wolfe and Bryson will blow up . That leaves Rory two shots back . He is in with a real shout

That leaves him 2 shots back? Rory will starts before them, it would be equally logical to assume he could have blown up by the time the last group tee off.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

That leaves him 2 shots back? Rory will starts before them, it would be equally logical to assume he could have blown up by the time the last group tee off.

Your right , of course it is equally logical to think that he himself may have blown up by the time the leaders go out . It is however my opinion that Rory will play well, Wolfe and de chambeau will blow up, leaving him 2 shots behind the de facto leader Louis Ost . This is an opinion forum right ?

rooney30 wrote: »
    Your right , of course it is equally logical to think that he himself may have blown up by the time the leaders go out . It is however my opinion that Rory will play well, Wolfe and de chambeau will blow up, leaving him 2 shots behind the de facto leader Louis Ost . This is an opinion forum right ?

Certainly is, and that is why I would never say your opinion is foolish, I mightn’t agree with you, but neither of us would be speaking from a position of certainty.

Nice1!
    You catch my drift.
    Opinions make this platform work.
    Analysis beyond “he’s won four majors” would add something interesting.

Hopefully we get something to discuss this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭abff

I think he’s definitely in with a chance. But I have a feeling that Wolfe is going to deal with the pressure a lot better than people might expect and, if he does so, 6 shots might be too big an ask for Rory.

• Advertisement

Wolff is also my pick.
    He doesn’t appear to get overwhelmed. Today will be the litmus test.
    McIlroy or one of the three on Even would probably need to come through the first 3 holes unscathed If they are to apply some real pressure.
    Although I assume Wolff won’t be looking at the scoreboard on the front 9.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement