Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

He is so frustrating to watch. I have a feeling if you put him on a range with no pressure he would be stitching it to the practice flags all day. He just cant do it on the course. Hopefully he can do well at the Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Interesting closing comment by McGinley. Effectively called him a flat track bully, he's great when the birdies are on tap, and he needs to find a way to get the ball around when the going gets tough or on harder courses where you can't just attack attack.

Hard to argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Interesting closing comment by McGinley. Effectively called him a flat track bully, he's great when the birdies are on tap, and he needs to find a way to get the ball around when the going gets tough or on harder courses where you can't just attack attack.

Hard to argue with that.

did he ever figure that out himself then, he should get on the blower give him some of that wisdom

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Hard to argue with that.
    You could certainly say that about the US Open he won, but not sure that follows through for some of his other wins like the PGA at Kiawah Island. And US Opens are a bit unique in that (imo) they can be a bit of a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

did he ever figure that out himself then, he should get on the blower give him some of that wisdom

Why don't you give him some of your wisdom?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Hard to argue with that.

Mcginley is the worst commentator of the lot, he's the jamie redknapp of golf punditry, state the bleeding obvious !
    I wouldn't be too critical of mcilroy at this course he had two great rounds, just two very bad ones and the course made a fool of alot of great players.

Hard to argue with that.

I caught the tail end of something McGinley said, it was something to do with the wind blowing at the open in Scotland, and how will his science cope with that. something like that I'm not sure what the full thing was.

But weren't they probably all saying the same this weekend? And is Winged Foot not regarded as one of the toughest courses in the world? and he done pretty good around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

etxp wrote: »
    I caught the tail end of something McGinley said, it was something to do with the wind blowing at the open in Scotland, and how will his science cope with that. something like that I'm not sure what the full thing was.

But weren't they probably all saying the same this weekend? And is Winged Foot not regarded as one of the toughest courses in the world? and he done pretty good around there.

McGinley was referring to De Chambeau. BoardsMember was referring to McIlroy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Well holy god

McGinley was referring to De Chambeau. BoardsMember was referring to McIlroy

So who was McGinley calling a flat track bully?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

etxp wrote: »
    So who was McGinley calling a flat track bully?

Rory. You mentioned something McGinley had said about De Chambueau (Scotland, wind blowing etc etc) while you were replying to a post where McGinley was referring to McIlroy (flat track bully etc).

Just made it confusing is all...........no biggie

Rory. You mentioned something McGinley had said about De Chambueau (Scotland, wind blowing etc etc) while you were replying to a post where McGinley was referring to McIlroy (flat track bully etc).

Just made it confusing is all...........no biggie

Oops, got my wires mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Mcginley is the worst commentator of the lot, he's the jamie redknapp of golf punditry, state the bleeding obvious !
    I wouldn't be too critical of mcilroy at this course he had two great rounds, just two very bad ones and the course made a fool of alot of great players.

That's just not true. McGinley brings a fair bit of insight and data to back it up a lot of the time. If you don't like him, fair enough. But he's a decent standard of analyst/commentator.

Calling him the equivalent of vacant Jamie Redknapp is just ill informed or just demonstrates a dislike for the guy.

Why don't you give him some of your wisdom?

i don't have his number, do you?

you got anything to add

That's just not true. McGinley brings a fair bit of insight and data to back it up a lot of the time. If you don't like him, fair enough. But he's a decent standard of analyst/commentator.

Calling him the equivalent of vacant Jamie Redknapp is just ill informed or just demonstrates a dislike for the guy.

do you agree with what he said though? does it make any sense you? Which flat track courses is he referring to

its great when the birdies are on tap, only for him is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

do you agree with what he said though? does it make any sense you? Which flat track courses is he referring to

It’s a turn of phrase, it means he is good on easier courses or comps with inferior fields.

Makes sense to me.

McGinley has issues with Rory going back to not playing in Rio and not playing Irish Open when he was the host.

It is as obvious as the day is long when he is commenting about him that he has become hyper critical in the last couple of years. It is his prerogative and he is entitled to his opinion but it has definitely taken a 180 degree turn in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

So in your opinion, neither amateur/armchair golfers or former professional golfers are allowed to have an opinion against McIlroy because they don't know what they're talking about.

Might save you a lot of wasted time arguing if you could state who is allowed to have an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Coltart also commented much more cuttingly on the broadcast that Rory should lock himself in a darkened room and scream at his misuse of his talent.

McGinley has issues with Rory going back to not playing in Rio and not playing Irish Open when he was the host.

It is as obvious as the day is long when he is commenting about him that he has become hyper critical in the last couple of years. It is his prerogative and he is entitled to his opinion but it has definitely taken a 180 degree turn in recent years.

Ya I think you are right, there does seem to be some animosity there. But at the same time, I think his commentary is more unbiased now than it used to be. To be honest, all the sky commentators are ok in small doses, the only ones I really like are radar and Rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Augme

Tbf I don't think anyone is being too critical of him because of this course. They are being critical of him because of this course, and all the previous ones. For someone who consistently talked about as being one of the worlds best I think the fact he hasn't done a major in 6 years which says a lot, and is one of the reason people question him.

I think Mcginley comments were perfectly justified to make and I can't see how anyone could have an issue with what he said or feel it was completely inaccurate.

So in your opinion, neither amateur/armchair golfers or former professional golfers are allowed to have an opinion against McIlroy because they don't know what they're talking about.

Might save you a lot of wasted time arguing if you could state who is allowed to have an opinion?

i mean flat earthers have opinions too ya know that

but you could put them in the same bucket

they are all ****e talking

i mean he has 18 wins on the PGA tour, which weak fields was he beating exactly

easy courses that only he could take advantage off

come on now

Augme wrote: »
    Tbf I don't think anyone is being too critical of him because of this course. They are being critical of him because of this course, and all the previous ones. For someone who consistently talked about as being one of the worlds best I think the fact he hasn't done a major in 6 years which says a lot, and is one of the reason people question him.

I think Mcginley comments were perfectly justified to make and I can't see how anyone could have an issue with what he said or feel it was completely inaccurate.

Is he not one of the best then? Is Dusting Johnson not one of the best

who are the best if not them

come on now

Majors tend to have all the top players and more difficult course set ups.

He is a vacant jamie redknapp for anyone who knows anything about golf,
    so the ill informed comment is totally incorrect.
    He's more interested in dying his hairpiece and fake teeth and keeping sky onside than he is about being an actual pundit.
    always says the obvious and pc thing.
    Bland beyond belief.

Is he not one of the best then? Is Dusting Johnson not one of the best

who are the best if not them

If this was the DJ thread we would probably be saying that he hasn’t realised his potential in the majors either. But it’s the RMcI thread.

He is a vacant jamie redknapp for anyone who knows anything about golf,
    so the ill informed comment is totally incorrect.
    He's more interested in dying his hairpiece and fake teeth and keeping sky onside than he is about being an actual pundit.
    always says the obvious and pc thing.
    Bland beyond belief.

I just don’t get that, I’d much prefer him over Faldo, Monty, Butch etc. If you watch the golf channel, they are much worse. There simply isn’t a huge amount to say apart from the obvious about course/players etc.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Majors tend to have all the top players and more difficult course set ups.

and its been a round robin of who has managed to win them over the last few years, so are they all ****e cause they only manage the one

what about the tour champs, the WGC, the players, all 2019

all renowned for having weak fields, weak courses i suppose

the US Open is the one that plays itself up as being hard, and he was t8

thats still a good result

i mean you could say something if he was on the european tour, like say mcginley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

come on now

The strawman is strong with the flat earthers comparison. FWIW, I agree with your take on McIlroy for the most part, but the way you're getting your point does no favours for this side of the discussion.

He's a supremely talented guy and people get frustrated when he doesn't always live up to that talent week in week out. Sometimes the way people vent that frustration is reactionary and over the top, but it doesn't mean that their arguments don't have a shred of validity.

Your post above basically says anyone who doesn't think the same way as you is full of shite. Hardly worth arguing with as it doesn't seem like you're open to other opinions.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    I just don’t get that, I’d much prefer him over Faldo, Monty, Butch etc. If you watch the golf channel, they are much worse. There simply isn’t a huge amount to say apart from the obvious about course/players etc.

i guess we all have our favoured pundits aswell as golfers,
    i do agree with you on faldo, and Monty ect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement