Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Augme

Is he not one of the best then? Is Dusting Johnson not one of the best

who are the best if not them

Depends what you define as the best I guess. Both are extremely talented but I also wouldn't put both as heavy favourites to win any major any time soon, especially rory. You can justify it with DJ based on his recent form at least though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I wonder if his approach to the first yesterday made the top deck would his day have been different, he was a half club short so only himself to blame. He would have had that skip to his step. Bryson playing the way he was he wasn't going to be caught in any case.

Watching Rory over a 5 foot putt is much more stressful than it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sausages14

Is he not one of the best then? Is Dusting Johnson not one of the best

'Dusting' Johnson - I see and love what you did there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Dav010 wrote: »
    Majors tend to have all the top players and more difficult course set ups.

He won The Players and Tour Championship last year. Fields don’t really get stronger than those.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

fullstop wrote: »
    He won The Players and Tour Championship last year. Fields don’t really get stronger than those.

Would the majors not be stronger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Depends on the Major, Most if not all of them have some spots kept free for past champions to play indefinitely. I have read some debates that the masters has quite a weak field even though its a major. not sure I would agree with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭abff

I guess the best way to objectively measure the strength of a field is by looking at the total world rating points for that event.

The US PGA generally has the highest ranking of any of the majors because of the size of the field (168 players) while the Masters has the lowest because it only has around 90 or so players taking part. The Tour Championship is lower than a lot of regular tournaments because it only has 30 participants.

But the Players Championship generally has one of the strongest fields of the year and in 2018 and 2019 had the 3rd strongest field of the year behind the USA PGA and the Open Championship, with the US Open 4th and the Masters 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Statistically, no. They let amateurs and a certain amount of players from other tours enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

abff wrote: »
    I guess the best way to objectively measure the strength of a field is by looking at the total world rating points for that event.

The US PGA generally has the highest ranking of any of the majors because of the size of the field (168 players) while the Masters has the lowest because it only has around 90 or so players taking part. The Tour Championship is lower than a lot of regular tournaments because it only has 30 participants.

But the Players Championship generally has one of the strongest fields of the year and in 2018 and 2019 had the 3rd strongest field of the year behind the USA PGA and the Open Championship, with the US Open 4th and the Masters 5th.

The US media loves pushing this angle. But frankly The Players having more players from 100-150 in the world does not make it more competitive than The Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

AdamD wrote: »
    The US media loves pushing this angle. But frankly The Players having more players from 100-150 in the world does not make it more competitive than The Masters.

Well......it would if it also included the same number or higher from the worlds top 100 players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Coltart also commented much more cuttingly on the broadcast that Rory should lock himself in a darkened room and scream at his misuse of his talent.

Thats consideranly more than McGinley has ever said. I agree McGinley / Rory relationship is not what it was, as pointed out, but he's pretty professional in how he calls it for Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Hole 1 & Hole 4 contain everything you need to know about his game why he was never in contention to win the US Open on Sunday.

After shooting a 75 he see's fit to rain on Bryson's parade (67) & first Major win.
    “Look, again, whether that’s good or bad, but it’s just the way it is. With the way he approaches it, with the arm-lock putting, with everything, it’s just where the game’s at right now."
    https://golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2020-rory-mcIlroy-says-bryson-dechambeau-is-taking-advantage-of-where-the-game-is-right-now

All to deflect from his own poor performance in a major. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Hole 1 & Hole 4 contain everything you need to know about his game why he was never in contention to win the US Open on Sunday.

After shooting a 75 he see's fit to rain on Bryson's parade (67) & first Major win.
    “Look, again, whether that’s good or bad, but it’s just the way it is. With the way he approaches it, with the arm-lock putting, with everything, it’s just where the game’s at right now."
    https://golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2020-rory-mcIlroy-says-bryson-dechambeau-is-taking-advantage-of-where-the-game-is-right-now

All to deflect from his own poor performance in a major. Again.

Interesting he mentions the arm lock putting . What is his issue here ? Is he hinting that it could be considered anchoring ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

rooney30 wrote: »
    Interesting he mentions the arm lock putting . What is his issue here ? Is he hinting that it could be considered anchoring ?
    I've seen a few commentators mention it as being anchoring in all but name. To be honest, I feel it's pretty close to anchoring myself. I can see virtually no way that the putter can go off line when held like that. But it is legal right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

https://www.usopen.com/stats/player-stats.html#!&strokes-gained=all

Rory McIlroy was ranked 3rd in Fairways Hit, 3rd in Greens in Regulation, 6th in Driving Distance, 50th in Putting, 41st in Approach, and 39th in Around The Green.
    I will act as a consultant, and say he gets worse the closer he gets to the hole. :)

Rory McIlroy was ranked 3rd in Fairways Hit, 3rd in Greens in Regulation, 6th in Driving Distance, 50th in Putting, 41st in Approach, and 39th in Around The Green.
    I will act as a consultant, and say he gets worse the closer he gets to the hole. :)
    Are you sure he's getting closer? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I haven't been a fan of McGinley's punditry since the RC. I've been watching allot of golf since Harbour town in April & he has gotten allot better.
    He's also been very fair and consistent in his criticism of McIlroy over that time.
    & yes he may be pissed-off with him, justifiably id say, but he's calling it correctly.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/arid-40053857.html
    I cant see him winning a Green Jacket either.

I haven't been a fan of McGinley's punditry since the RC. I've been watching allot of golf since Harbour town in April & he has gotten allot better.
    He's also been very fair and consistent in his criticism of McIlroy over that time.
    & yes he may be pissed-off with him, justifiably id say, but he's calling it correctly.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/arid-40053857.html
    I cant see him winning a Green Jacket either.
    I wouldn't say it's justified considering McIlroy was the first to come out and support him for Ryder Cup captain when Monty decided to have another tilt at it and was supported by Darren Clarke iirc. All because the USA had selected Tom Watson and Monty thought he was the 'best' man to oppose him. That support from McIlroy was crucial to McGinley getting confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

It must be difficult for a world class golfer going through a dip in form.
    Their worry must be can they ever to reach the heights again.
    There may be other circumstances (business, personal, health, contracts) be causing problems.

When I was at the Open in Portrush last year I got into conversation with an American.
    He had been a caddy on the European tour about 50 years ago and being on holiday at the Open in Ireland was a great occasion for him.
    As we were talking he recognised an Irish tour pro from his days on tour, introduced himself, and got chatting about the old days. The Irish tour pro was 80 years old.
    Pros make money from the game but they are also the biggest fans.
    I think Irish fans and professionals love to see an Irish player doing well, and if they offer opinion it is well intentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's justified considering McIlroy was the first to come out and support him for Ryder Cup captain when Monty decided to have another tilt at it and was supported by Darren Clarke iirc. All because the USA had selected Tom Watson and Monty thought he was the 'best' man to oppose him. That support from McIlroy was crucial to McGinley getting confirmed.

McGinley touches on this in a podcast he did with No Laying Up, really good ep. Some of the insights into his ryder cup experiences were very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭boardise

So, pretty much the same as almost all high handicap club golfers ! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Is he experimenting with the DeChambeau approach this week? Leading the field in distance with a 340 driving average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Is he experimenting with the DeChambeau approach this week? Leading the field in distance with a 340 driving average.

He posted some pictures a couple of weeks ago of his swing speed

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

I think he said he's trying it out this week so he knows he has it in his locker if he needs it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

neddynasty wrote: »
    I think he said he's trying it out this week so he knows he has it in his locker if he needs it at some stage.

He’s always had driving distance in his locker, he just leaves his short game at the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

He’s always had driving distance in his locker, he just leaves his short game at the hotel.

Its usually not even in the same state

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

2nd in the field in birdies this week, too many mistakes have knocked him back a bit. He has bogeyed the 7th each day, a 520 yard par 5 that he should be eating up (to be fair, day 2 was due to an unfortunate lost ball that plugged next to the green and was never seen again).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

2nd in the field in birdies this week, too many mistakes have knocked him back a bit. He has bogeyed the 7th each day, a 520 yard par 5 that he should be eating up (to be fair, day 2 was due to an unfortunate lost ball that plugged next to the green and was never seen again).

I agree that the mistakes have cost him too much, some wild shots have resulted in bogeys. But that lost ball was ridiculous. Good chance of a 4 turns into a 6. He’d probably still be too far back now even with a 4 there but it would have made a big difference. It was funny seeing 10 people including Rory and Na rubbing the ground to find koepka’s ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

is he trolling us???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

gypsy79 wrote: »
    is he trolling us???

:D:D:D

He was going so well and then just capitulated. It would have you worrying what will happen when he’s in contention, maybe at Augusta. He seems so close to being at his best but throws in some horror holes and runs of holes too often.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement