Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Quick google of 'Paul Flynn Household name' brings up the The Tannery Cookery School & Townhouse in Dungarvan. 5 Star reviews.

Worth checking out by all accounts.

Quick google of 'Paul Flynn little known amatuer footballer, well known only by Dublin football fans(May-August) and certainly not a household name in Ireland unlike Rory McIlroy' brings up Paul Flynn GAA player!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I thought Paul Flynn was a hurler from Waterford!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I thought Paul Flynn was a hurler from Waterford!

He must own the Cookery School in Dungarvan so - bit by bit its all starting to make sense now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Back on discussing Rory's golf please...

The trial is due to last 8 weeks so when is Rory scheduled to return to action?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The trial is due to last 8 weeks so when is Rory scheduled to return to action?

5 weeks off

Seve OB wrote: »
    5 weeks off

Pity all the momentum that he has built up will be lost.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Pity all the momentum that he has built up will be lost.

well how long did he have off over christmas? he was back in Dubai practising on 5th Jan and I don't think he has had a day off since then. he has only played in 2 tournaments and a Pro-Am in that time, so I don't think he has built up any momentum. he just got stuck back into it where he left it off last year, and there is no reason why he won't be able to do the same again in 5 weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'm hoping that the lawyers just get talking and the whole case is called off......and Rory gets back to doing what we all want to see him doing. This is a distraction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..but his XMas break was an end of season planned and enjoyable one, not sure his current forced break will allow him to recharge his batteries

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I agree with the above... I think the 5 weeks off is very bad timing with the run in the The Masters. Obviously he will be practicing like crazy here but there is no substitute for competitive golf.

I wasn't saying anything about bad timing. I was arguing the momentum comment. It won't affect his momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

You could argue that once this issue is resolved he will be in devastating form. He certainly upped his game when sorting out previous issues.

He speaks as though he is mentally prepared for both the short and medium term, whatever may come. Once an issue is resolved, he parks it and moves on.

I'm not a huge golf follower but I admire his mental strength. To be able to come through the scrutiny of his personal life, his change of clubs and current issue is no small thing for a young person. How many would crack up?

This period will be a small footnote on his wiki page soon enough.

The "change of clubs" was a non issue, created by the media and hyped by the Media. It was an excuse for his lull in form, but not an excuse he used. He is a top pro, those guys can make the worst of clubs look good.

Having said that, he did trial new clubs recently and is not playing with them. They wont use stuff that isn't up to their high standards, so back when he moved to Nike, it was no different. If he felt the clubs on offer, weren't up to the job, he would not have played with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Sounds like he'll be back sooner rather than later. Wonder will the schedule be added to.

AGC wrote: »
    Sounds like he'll be back sooner rather than later. Wonder will the schedule be added to.

I hope you're right. This brinkmanship from lawyers irritates me, but it seems just to be the way they do things.

Sounds very positive for his golf if what Brian Keogh just tweeted is true. I'd say the Honda Classic will definitely be added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Seve OB wrote: »
    The "change of clubs" was a non issue, created by the media and hyped by the Media. It was an excuse for his lull in form, but not an excuse he used. He is a top pro, those guys can make the worst of clubs look good.

Having said that, he did trial new clubs recently and is not playing with them. They wont use stuff that isn't up to their high standards, so back when he moved to Nike, it was no different. If he felt the clubs on offer, weren't up to the job, he would not have played with them.

No way did he have an option not to play the Nike clubs.

It's small margins at the top level. It had to be an issue, maybe not the only one but certainly not a "non issue".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

cairny wrote: »
    No way did he have an option not to play the Nike clubs.

It's small margins at the top level. It had to be an issue, maybe not the only one but certainly not a "non issue".

Did they not have to come up with a new driver and ball for him to use? and since then everything has gone swimmingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

The equipment "issue" was the ball, he wasn't comfortable with any ball they tried, some spun too much, others not enough.
    Nike created a prototype ball based closely on his old ball to try get it right, and finally they did, the balls he plays isn't and never will be available to retail buyers, much like most of the "tour" balls.

I know this seems matter of fact, but i have it on very good authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The equipment "issue" was the ball, he wasn't comfortable with any ball they tried, some spun too much, others not enough.
    Nike created a prototype ball based closely on his old ball to try get it right, and finally they did, the balls he plays isn't and never will be available to retail buyers, much like most of the "tour" balls.

I know this seems matter of fact, but i have it on very good authority.

Surely they could just take his old ball and give it a fresh coat of paint with the Nike logo on top of it and not say a word to anyone ? :)

the balls he plays isn't and never will be available to retail buyers, much like most of the "tour" balls.

all the more reason to play on the Boards GS this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Rikand wrote: »
    Surely they could just take his old ball and give it a fresh coat of paint with the Nike logo on top of it and not say a word to anyone ? :)

Some might say that's what actually happened.................................................................................................................

HighLine wrote: »
    Sounds very positive for his golf if what Brian Keogh just tweeted is true. I'd say the Honda Classic will definitely be added.

Ach why do the lawyers have to wait until they are on the steps of the court to get talking? To justify their fees? What a load of nonsense.

Settled

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Quelle surprise! :rolleyes:

Settled

Great news. A needless distraction removed. Think he will at least add the Honda Classic to his schedule.

Great news. A needless distraction removed. Think he will at least add the Honda Classic to his schedule.

It's still down on his website as being on his schedule

It's still down on his website as being on his schedule

Just saw that... good stuff. He has unfinished business there after letting it slip from his grasp last year. His approach to 18 on the final day was one of the best shots of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just saw that... good stuff. He has unfinished business there after letting it slip from his grasp last year. His approach to 18 on the final day was one of the best shots of the year.

Am genuinely delighted, don't care who won or lost just want to see the man back in action.

Re: that shot; it was class, remember it clearly, would have been all the better had he made the putt and won the tournament but alas he faltered, I always feel that when the putt is made after a shot like that it makes the shot all the better.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement