Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Some 22 handicapper throwing out the advice. Every club has one.

Jimmy Dunne was a scratch golfer back in his younger days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Jimmy Dunne was a scratch golfer back in his younger days.

Jack Nicklaus is a member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Dav010 wrote: »
    Jack Nicklaus is a member.

The member in question was Jimmy Dunne not Jack Nicklaus: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/masters/rory-mcilroy-reveals-colourful-dressing-down-from-augusta-member-that-helped-inspire-masters-revival-39745450.html

I'm sure more would have been made of it had Jack Nicklaus said it to Rory between rounds

The member in question was Jimmy Dunne not Jack Nicklaus: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/masters/rory-mcilroy-reveals-colourful-dressing-down-from-augusta-member-that-helped-inspire-masters-revival-39745450.html

I'm sure more would have been made of it had Jack Nicklaus said it to Rory between rounds

Thanks, he mentioned it last night, I didn’t know the member had been identified.

I think he will go on a big run but probably too far now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Playing round 3 with an amateur and a 63 year old!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I think he will go on a big run but probably too far now.

Usual story. When was the last time he won a Major? Looked it up there, 2014.

I’m curious why he still gets so much media attention. He’s rarely involved in the business end of Majors in recent years. He often ends up top 10 but his chance of winning often having been blown by a poor opening round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

TheCitizen wrote: »

I’m curious why he still gets so much media attention. He’s rarely involved in the business end of Majors in recent years. He often ends up top 10 but his chance of winning often having been blown by a poor opening round.

Google: "career grand slam"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,188 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He's back!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 gaelar29

PP have him 4th favourite now:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

Why do any of them get media attention in that case? Since 2014 who has been consistently at the business end of the majors?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,188 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Found the bunker on 12, holed it.

He's back alright, -8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

He has played some terrible iron shots but is putting and scrambling well

DJ looks unstoppable though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Three putted from 9 feet for bogey on the par-5 13th. Giving up two shots to the field. Gone.

Did he really have a chance after the first day?

Head gone.

Keano wrote: »
    Did he really have a chance after the first day?

I don't think his play has warranted much more than his score given that his approach play hasn't been particularly good. -5 was probably flattering to deceive.

I don't agree that his head is gone but his approach play just isnt up to scratch in order to contend.

I don't agree that his head is gone but his approach play just isnt up to scratch in order to contend.

He needs birdies on the par 5s, a par having visited the water is an opportunity missed by going for the green with his second. But I suppose if he has to chase it, it was risk reward and a chance of an eagle.

Dav010 wrote: »
    He needs birdies on the par 5s, a par having visited the water is an opportunity missed by going for the green with his second. But I suppose if he has to chase it, it was risk reward and a chance of an eagle.

Yes it’s risk reward and he needs to take it on. IMO, his play on that hole, his play since the bogey and general play today has not been indicative of someone who’s head is gone. Your assessment is hasty imo.

It’s by no means a perfect round but he has kept his head and is playing pretty well.

Yes it’s risk reward and he needs to take it on. IMO, his play on that hole, his play since the bogey and general play today has not been indicative of someone who’s head is gone. Your assessment is hasty imo.

It’s by no means a perfect round but he has kept his head and is playing pretty well.

Good birdie, ya, might have called that early.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Finishes on -8. Almost certainly too much to do unless DJ implodes tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

he's fought back well. Deserves credit not the constant put downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Happy4all wrote: »

1 bogey in his last 38 holes is brilliant playing.

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Google: "career grand slam"

And? We already know that for 6 years now.

Happy4all wrote: »
    He’s been a consistent top 10 finisher in Majors over recent years without ever being really in contention to win. That’s just a fact.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He’s been a consistent top 10 finisher in Majors over recent years without ever being really in contention to win. That’s just a fact.

Consistently finishing top 10 in majors is no mean feat but it’s not where he’d like though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

True his consistency is incredible. Rarely has a no show at a major.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

True his consistency is incredible. Rarely has a no show at a major.

Rarely in actual contention to win though, remarkable.

I’m hoping the numbers break so that Rory & Brooks get paired together.

Irrespective of the result, it would be fun to watch them chase the final few pairings.

Keano wrote: »
    Consistently finishing top 10 in majors is no mean feat but it’s not where he’d like though

Aye, he’ll be disappointed with that as they say.

• Advertisement

I’m hoping the numbers break so that Rory & Brooks get paired together.

Irrespective of the result, it would be fun to watch them chase the final few pairings.

Indeed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement