Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,366 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Even if he had a E or -1 first round he'd just be in the mix behind DJ. A performance that you cant be ashamed about losing to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Mushy wrote: »
    Even if he had a E or -1 first round he'd just be in the mix behind DJ. A performance that you cant be ashamed about losing to

True, DJ just operating on a different level at present.

I suppose the critique is simply he should be leading the charge as “best of the rest” and perhaps putting on the pressure in the final pairing.

True, DJ just operating on a different level at present.

I suppose the critique is simply he should be leading the charge as “best of the rest” and perhaps putting on the pressure in the final pairing.

Thankfully it's only the 3rd day. Considering after the first round he was out of it and now hes right amongst them all bar one, it's why hes up amongst the best in the world.

Bit of an if my auntie had balls situation alright, and the criticisms of him of terrible first rounds are valid, but thatll take way too much away from Johnson this week

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

One thing that sticks out to me watching this is how DJ, dispite his incredible natural ability, still keeps the game so very simple.

He plays his fade wherever possible, no messing about.

For example he took 3W on the 13th just so he could guarantee hitting the fairway.

There's a lesson in there for all of us.

After all, golf isn't about your good shots it's about the bad ones, and reducing the amount amount and degree of them.
    He does that very well.

Has been a constant force on the tour for well over 10 years now.

#1 for the foreseeable

Thankfully it's only the 3rd day. Considering after the first round he was out of it and now hes right amongst them all bar one, it's why hes up amongst the best in the world.

Bit of an if my auntie had balls situation alright, and the criticisms of him of terrible first rounds are valid, but thatll take way too much away from Johnson this week

I think it’s been one of his most mature performances in a major in recent years. He really composed himself after that 6.

Clearly he has contended with first round issues in majors for a while but if he can go out tomorrow and shoot something like a 68 I think that will give him a lot of confidence moving forward.

• Advertisement

I think it’s been one of his most mature performances in a major in recent years. He really composed himself after that 6.

Clearly he has contended with first round issues in majors for a while but if he can go out tomorrow and shoot something like a 68 I think that will give him a lot of confidence moving forward.

Definitely. Wont stop the usual commentary, but I wouldnt be surprised if his personal life has him more laid back on the golf course. Maybe that explains his start, if I got away first time in a few weeks I'd be all over the place

djr15 wrote: »
    One thing that sticks out to me watching this is how DJ, dispite his incredible natural ability, still keeps the game so very simple.

He plays his fade wherever possible, no messing about.

For example he took 3W on the 13th just so he could guarantee hitting the fairway.

There's a lesson in there for all of us.

After all, golf isn't about your good shots it's about the bad ones, and reducing the amount amount and degree of them.
    He does that very well.

Has been a constant force on the tour for well over 10 years now.

#1 for the foreseeable

Id be happy to see him win it, he deserves a few majors with his talent. I wouldn't like to see him collapse tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rory shot the second best round of the day today with his -5. At least he doesn’t have to wait to wait long for next years Masters.

This is his last event of the year I believe

Keano wrote: »
    Rory shot the second best round of the day today with his -5. At least he doesn’t have to wait to wait long for next years Masters.

This is his last event of the year I believe

He doesn’t want a Masters with an asterisk beside it anyway, they’re just practice rounds for April ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

He is going to get close to DJ just to make the pain of Thursdays round worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 dodge challenger

Bogey just about ends his hopes. Need DJ to slip up now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Finally birdies 13,unlucky for some..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I think he has been magnificent. Really fancy his chance to finally win it next April.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I know people fancy Rory here next time and he was close, but to be honest some of his bad shots were a bit worrying.

They were seriously bad shots , let us call them the big miss , these will be trouble with real pressure.

I know people fancy Rory here next time and he was close, but to be honest some of his bad shots were a bit worrying.

They were seriously bad shots , let us call them the big miss , these will be trouble with real pressure.

I mentioned already that I felt his score was rather flattering in R2 & R3. I felt today was probably pretty fair but his 2nd shot in many instances was just not up to standard.

He generally scrambled well, drove the ball well and made some really nice putts but -14 over the final 3 rounds is probably a little flattering.

Some great signs but I'm sure he'll be busy in the off season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

I don't know it is a good sign or a bad sign but Rory was 66, 67, 69 for the last 3 days, and still left plenty of shots out there. Hit the water on 15 two days in a row, only made birdie on 13 once all week. Putting stats were very good but dont feel the putter was ever hot.

As always, if he can improve his shots from 130 - 170 yards in, he"ll be in with a shout of some majors next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

For a guy who they say is as thick as ****. DJ showed some great golf intelligence over the 4 days . Laying up on a few of the par 5s when there was some risk,
    not chasing pins , hitting the safe side of the green time and time again. Rory could learn a lot from his methodical approach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

It feels like this performance has been the way Rorys majors have gone for the last few years, one terrible round, gets back into a decent position and ends up a top 10 without ever looking like winning. Hard to say what it is but it just seems he isn't capable of stringing 4 good rounds together anymore. He still has the game to compete at the highest level and I would still rate him higher than the likes of JT and Rahm but I can't see how he'll win another major unless he gets rid of that disastrous round from his game.

It feels like this performance has been the way Rorys majors have gone for the last few years, one terrible round, gets back into a decent position and ends up a top 10 without ever looking like winning. Hard to say what it is but it just seems he isn't capable of stringing 4 good rounds together anymore. He still has the game to compete at the highest level and I would still rate him higher than the likes of JT and Rahm but I can't see how he'll win another major unless he gets rid of that disastrous round from his game.

If he can just place himself within a couple of shots of the lead going into the back 9 he is in with a good chance. He doesn't really need to shoot the lights out on day 1 or even day 2 or 3. He just needs to stay in touch for the final round.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

rooney30 wrote: »
    For a guy who they say is as thick as ****. DJ showed some great golf intelligence over the 4 days . Laying up on a few of the par 5s when there was some risk,
    not chasing pins , hitting the safe side of the green time and time again. Rory could learn a lot from his methodical approach

I remember reading an article a few years ago that resonated with me. Think it was Walsh in the Times. Could be wrong.

The article explored the difference between Colin Montgomerie and Ernie Els, and why one of them could seal the deal in majors and the other could not. The summary judgement was that Els, being (allegedly) thick as pig **** wasn’t capable of over analysing the final day of a major. So while the (allegedly) bright Monty could genuinely understand the magnitude of every stroke he made, and ponder strategies to overcome the situation, Els would simply let the yardages guide him.

• Advertisement

If he can just place himself within a couple of shots of the lead going into the back 9 he is in with a good chance. He doesn't really need to shoot the lights out on day 1 or even day 2 or 3. He just needs to stay in touch for the final round.

100%, I think that's what's so frustrating about him. If he can just be in the last few groups on the Sunday at a major I think he can have that tiger effect on the field where if he makes a charge like he did today it can unsettle other players. As it is he almost always makes an early charge but he's too far back for it to even register on the leaderboard, maybe if he eagled 8 today it would have caused a bit of a stir and possibly affected DJ but that big a gap to the lead is too big a hurdle to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Maybe he's just not good enough. Or as good as people think. He'd only won majors on rain soaked courses. His high bombs landing soft. Target golf. He hasn't won in the last 24 majors now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

thewobbler wrote: »
    I remember reading an article a few years ago that resonated with me. Think it was Walsh in the Times. Could be wrong.

The article explored the difference between Colin Montgomerie and Ernie Els, and why one of them could seal the deal in majors and the other could not. The summary judgement was that Els, being (allegedly) thick as pig **** wasn’t capable of over analysing the final day of a major. So while the (allegedly) bright Monty could genuinely understand the magnitude of every stroke he made, and ponder strategies to overcome the situation, Els would simply let the yardages guide him.

Was that a satirical piece? An in-depth and rigurous analysis on the risks of over-analysing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Was that a satirical piece? An in-depth and rigurous analysis on the risks of over-analysing.

David Walsh is a pretty good journo, I think his opinions of various sports are a good read, I doubt he has ever claimed that they are definitive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

100%, I think that's what's so frustrating about him. If he can just be in the last few groups on the Sunday at a major I think he can have that tiger effect on the field where if he makes a charge like he did today it can unsettle other players. As it is he almost always makes an early charge but he's too far back for it to even register on the leaderboard, maybe if he eagled 8 today it would have caused a bit of a stir and possibly affected DJ but that big a gap to the lead is too big a hurdle to overcome.

He was in the last group 2 years ago.

Whatever about most majors, even a boring E on Thursday he wasnt going to be hassling DJ such was the standard of the latter. Even a solid -2 (DJ worst round of the week), leaves him 4 off ultimately. Certainly not the week where anyone can look back on and say he could easily have won that one

bailey99 wrote: »
    Maybe he's just not good enough. Or as good as people think. He'd only won majors on rain soaked courses. His high bombs landing soft. Target golf. He hasn't won in the last 24 majors now.

I think when you look at his performance through the last 3 rounds, you can clearly see that he's good enough. The talent to still win, is obvious.

If your theory is correct about rain soaked courses then Augusta in November offered a good opportunity to repeat. He'll likely never get as good an opportunity there again.

Multi-major winners such as Els went through similar barren patches; Els 97-02, Seve 84-88, Faldo 92-96.
    Rory has gone on longer without a victory but the reason why is not a lack of talent as he's been winning other events in the interim.

There are issues there that need to be addressed and I agree, I don't think he's quite as gifted as many originally thought but he's more than good enough to still win majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Rory situation is quite unique. The stats show that its the first round in majors are killing him. Its not like a drought where he just isn't playing well enough to win one. Hopefully with only 5 months to the next Masters he won't have built it up too much.

Whatever about most majors, even a boring E on Thursday he wasnt going to be hassling DJ such was the standard of the latter. Even a solid -2 (DJ worst round of the week), leaves him 4 off ultimately. Certainly not the week where anyone can look back on and say he could easily have won that one

Yeah I don't think it would have made a difference this year but my point was that if he could keep himself closer to the lead going into the final round of a major he has a good chance of putting others off by making an early charge. Similar to what Tiger did throughout his career and even last year with Molinaris collapse. We've seen players with a nice lead collapse on the back 9 of Augusta so often, I don't think it would have happened this year with DJ but say if Rory was -15 through 9 and DJ looked up and saw that after dropping those couple of shots on 4 and 5 yesterday, you never know what might have happened. Problem for Rory has been he's put himself out of contention too early to be a factor in the last round. Same applies to JT and Rahm, I think if either of those had been in a position to make a charge yesterday we might have had at least a bit of drama over the back 9 rather than the procession it turned into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yeah I don't think it would have made a difference this year but my point was that if he could keep himself closer to the lead going into the final round of a major he has a good chance of putting others off by making an early charge. Similar to what Tiger did throughout his career and even last year with Molinaris collapse. We've seen players with a nice lead collapse on the back 9 of Augusta so often, I don't think it would have happened this year with DJ but say if Rory was -15 through 9 and DJ looked up and saw that after dropping those couple of shots on 4 and 5 yesterday, you never know what might have happened. Problem for Rory has been he's put himself out of contention too early to be a factor in the last round. Same applies to JT and Rahm, I think if either of those had been in a position to make a charge yesterday we might have had at least a bit of drama over the back 9 rather than the procession it turned into.

In fairness, I don't think he ever goes out with the intention of NOT being close to the lead.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement