Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Rory has a massive advantage when it comes to tour championships in that another 15 million dollars means **** all

To even the most successful of the other golfers 15 million is life changing compared to wealth. ie doubling wealth

I’ve read that viewpoint being used as a negative, he is now set up financially for life baring calamitous investments or a couple of nasty divorces. So, he may be less focused.

I don’t know which viewpoint is right, or whether either even matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

I would have always assumed there was more pressure on players keeping their tour card to stay financially sound than guys at the top competing for majors.

I guess both are different.

Only Rory will really know how he really feels under the gun.

The Players Champion, RBC Canadian Open champion, Tour Championship winner & HSBC winner in 2019.
    Came out in 2020 pre covid with huge consistency and was playing well with 6 top 5s in a row which included the HSBC win…
    Post covid has been much different.

We will never know how he would have gone in a normal 2020 season without covid, but he was certainly trending nicely.
    Still in the top 3 masters favourites for me along with DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

Russman wrote: »
    I don't disagree with any of that. Its Majors that the greats are judged by, and by any measure Rory has under achieved in the last 5 years. I wouldn't deny that for a second.
    I think the other big wins show he can still get the job done quite often when he has a chance, and he mostly hasn't been giving himself chances. Of all his top 10s in Majors, off the top of my head I can't think of all that many where he was realistically in the hunt on the Sunday. I'm sure there were some, Reid's Masters definitely, and maybe Molinari's Open but even then Molinari still had the downwind par 5 to play, so maybe not.

That's fair, but you also have to consider how good he is. Winning a couple of tournaments every year should honestly be his base level, the minute he comes up against proper pressure, in the form of a major, he will have at least 1 crazy round(almost guaranteed at this stage). A round so bad that I don't believe it has anything to do with just having a bad day, it's rooted in his ability to handle the pressure of the event. How many times have we seen him do it, only to have a stormer for the rest of the weekend, and end up top 10, once the pressure is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

McIlroys problems all stem from his own intrinsic self-doubt, he's got some talent and skill but he just has this constant nagging voice deep within his own psyche, it's basically Rory whispering to himself that he's a little Gobsh1te and its very hard to disagree with his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭wildrover444

Think Rory playing the next 2 tournaments on pga tour so interesting to see does he build on this. I can see him having couple of top tens. Think that's how he started out last year before covid hit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Dav010 wrote: »
    Agree totally, does anyone care about the tour comps Tiger, Jack, Greg, Nick, Seve won? I bet most would struggle to tell you how many/which ones they won, majors are the currency the big boys deal in.

So majors are what they deal in Greg has 2, Seve has 5 and Nick has 6. The other two are machines! Rory has every chance of passing out Nick. However, will that be enough to silence his critics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Keano wrote: »
    So majors are what they deal in Greg has 2, Seve has 5 and Nick has 6. The other two are machines! Rory has every chance of passing out Nick. However, will that be enough to silence his critics?

No - Irish people are never happy plus we like to moan ..lol..

Keano wrote: »

Dunno Keano, I really don’t think it is up to you are anyone else to decide when he is beyond criticism. I disagree with you that he has “every chance” of winning three more majors, nothing over the past couple of year, which are his prime, suggests he will do that. If anything, the past 6 yrs suggest he does not have the mental strength to put 4 decent rounds together on majors weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Nicklaus won 11 of his Majors after he turned 30. McIlroy is only 31. Assuming his 30's are his career peak, he has circa 40 majors or so to pick up a few more. His minimum goals would be to surpass Faldo's haul to be the top European major winner and to win the Masters to square off the slam.

valoren wrote: »
    Nicklaus won 11 of his Majors after he turned 30. McIlroy is only 31. Assuming his 30's are his career peak, he has circa 40 majors or so to pick up a few more. His minimum goals would be to surpass Faldo's haul to be the top European major winner and to win the Masters to square off the slam.

As Keano so aptly put it, Nicklaus and Tiger are machines, Mcilroy most certainly is not. Will winning get easier the older Mcilroy gets? Would you say he has improved as a player since he won 4 majors ‘12-‘14? I wonder has the overall standards of golfers improved since 2014?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

conor-w wrote: »
    That's fair, but you also have to consider how good he is. Winning a couple of tournaments every year should honestly be his base level, the minute he comes up against proper pressure, in the form of a major, he will have at least 1 crazy round(almost guaranteed at this stage). A round so bad that I don't believe it has anything to do with just having a bad day, it's rooted in his ability to handle the pressure of the event. How many times have we seen him do it, only to have a stormer for the rest of the weekend, and end up top 10, once the pressure is off.

Agree with a lot of that. Personally I think he’s head and shoulders above the likes of DJ, JT etc. and should absolutely be winning a couple of times a year.
    I don’t know why he sometimes has these brain fart rounds on Thursdays and Fridays tbh. I think up til maybe two years ago he didn’t really wedge it close enough and was prone to missing some silly putts. The putting is much better now.
    I’m not saying it’s definitely not pressure, I just don’t think it’s as simple as that, he’s around long enough at this stage. Sometimes I feel he looks like he’s trying to hit a fade a lot, when his natural shape is draw, and I think at times he’s too aggressive for the situation, but far be it for a weekend golfer to tell someone like him what he’s doing wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

He’s playing torrey pines this week

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

US Open prep I suppose.

Thought it was unusual alright that after traveling all the way to the UAE that he wasn't playing Dubai now I can see why.

2 and half months to Masters. Hopefully he gets a good run at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

Lip Out wrote: »

Ian Poulter says it is harsh to criticise someone who doesn’t win a tournament, yes indeed Poults, no irony there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

Ian Poulter knows how to troll people on Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

OEP wrote: »
    Ian Poulter knows how to troll people on Boards

Lol, so true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

He's right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Anatom wrote: »
    He's right though.

Stop...dont troll the trolls who are trolling the trolls!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

Probably shouldn't expect too much from Rory this week. Might be an element of jet lag and I reckon he'll be experimenting with some shots and angles etc. Also he would hardly want to win this time round and be facing the unlikely task of a repeat win later in the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Being great is about winning and in time Rory will go down in history for his wins, no one will remember all the top 5s in Dubai, if you offered Rory one win out there in exchange for all his top 5's he'd take the win.
    Poor ole Paddy had a notorious record of all those runner ups before he shone, no one will remember him now for those, he will be remembered for the three Major wins.
    It's all about Winning tournaments, not consistent top finishes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Started very well again on the course.

Started very well again on the North course.

Says South Course on PGA site. Most of the leaders are playing North ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

boardise wrote: »
    Says South Course on PGA site. Most of the leaders are playing North ..

Yeah that's right, South course playing tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Pretty poor golf from him today after a really nice start. Missed 7 fairways in a row. Lucky not to be OB a few times.

Tougher conditions today but still no excuse for missing all those fairways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Pretty poor golf from him today after a really nice start. Missed 7 fairways in a row. Lucky not to be OB a few times.

Tougher conditions today but still no excuse for missing all those fairways

32 GIR through 2 rounds, tying his 2nd-most through 36 holes on the PGA tour.

He’s still not going to win!

His wedge/short iron play has been mediocre for a long time now .
    I see from the PGA shot tracker that at the par 4 fifth today he hit a good drive to 133 yards of the green.The second ends on the green
    63 ft from the hole !! That's desperately poor.
    He's been scrambling well to obtain his position -but I'm thinking the scrambling stats is the last table you want to be top of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

He's playing terrible but still close to the top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

OEP wrote: »
    He's playing terrible but still close to the top

He’s not playing terrible at all. He’s playing like himself, a lad that bombs it off the tee with no distance control on his irons whatsoever.

Absolute myth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement