Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

I'm a better putter than McIlroy

Season, amazing his people haven't contacted you for a lesson? Even remotely, I'd imagine he'd learn a thing or two from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Thank you, glad you agree.

It is quite possible you are Season, let’s be fair, there are probably lots of amateurs who are. It’s whether you could perform to your ability, consistently, when it matters and when the pressure is on. You may be able to do that as well, but maybe not, then again neither can Mcilroy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Dav010 wrote: »
    It is quite possible you are Season, let’s be fair, there are probably lots of amateurs who are. It’s whether you could perform to your ability, consistently, when it matters and when the pressure is on. You may be able to do that as well, but maybe not, then again neither can Mcilroy.

Historically he seems to do alright under pressure. You don’t get the amount of wins & majors he has without doing well under pressure.

Please continue though, the debate of best putter between random poster vs McIlroy is funny.

Historically he seems to do alright under pressure. You don’t get the amount of wins & majors he has without doing well under pressure.

Please continue though, the debate of best putter between random poster vs McIlroy is funny.

I’m sure the statisticians amongst us will be able to post his putting stats, all I can do is base my opinion on what I see on TV and the regularity with which he seems to have costly misses on makable putts.

In relation to pro v amateur, I don’t know how good a putter Season is, so I can’t say he/she is better than Mcillroy, but you would have to admit that there are probably a lot of non-pro golfers who are better at reading greens and sinking putts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Its not possible to say you are as good or better a putter as a pro. On thing already mentioned is doing under pressure, from retaining your card to winning a major, and everything in between.

The bigger aspect though is how difficult some of the greens are on the pro tour. I dont think many of us have an idea just how fast, how much break and subtlety there is, how much they vary. At the very least, it would take most amateurs a long time to get used to playing on them.

• Advertisement

I’m sure the statisticians amongst us will be able to post his putting stats, all I can do is base my opinion on what I see on TV and the regularity with which he seems to have costly misses on makable putts.

In relation to pro v amateur, I don’t know how good a putter Season is, so I can’t say he/she is better than Mcillroy, but you would have to admit that there are probably a lot of non-pro golfers who are better at reading greens and sinking putts.

I watch him from the 10 to 20 foot range and am amazed at how little he seems to sink. I never really expect them to fall when watching him.

Being realistic if I was playing the sort of greens he is playing I'd probably struggle too. Putting is a strong part of my game. But likely not at his level.

I watch him from the 10 to 20 foot range and am amazed at how little he seems to sink. I never really expect them to fall when watching him.

Being realistic if I was playing the sort of greens he is playing I'd probably struggle too. Putting is a strong part of my game. But likely not at his level.

Your post was obviously given in a tongue-in-cheek manner but the fact someone actually thinks that an amateur golfer of almost any ability could putt as well as McIlroy on tour is just very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

how many 20 foot putts do you reckon you hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

An interesting comment by Peter Lawrie on Golf Weekly is that amateurs always underestimate distances. And he's right, especially on the greens. When we see a pro over a 6 foot putt on TV, we expect it basically to be a tap in but 6ft putts for me (good putter off 8) are anything but a tap in! And often times when amateurs say they missed a 3 foot put or something, it was probably only 2 feet.

OEP wrote: »
    An interesting comment by Peter Lawrie on Golf Weekly is that amateurs always underestimate distances. And he's right, especially on the greens. When we see a pro over a 6 foot putt on TV, we expect it basically to be a tap in but 6ft putts for me (good putter off 8) are anything but a tap in! And often times when amateurs say they missed a 3 foot put or something, it was probably only 2 feet.

id say most can tell the difference between a 2 foot and 3 foot putt

at 30 feet, everyone is guessing unless you measure it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Last 4 seasons putting stats (ranking/total players). I would go back further but for some reason the older season stats wont load for me.

20/21: 53/242 ( season so far)
    19/20: 122/193
    18/19: 24/188
    17/18 97/193

Average: 74/204

So the stats say McIlroy is in the top 37% of putters on tour, and that Seasons is a better putter than at least 63% of PGA Tour professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Approach play and around the green is a far bigger issue recently for Rory rather than putting.
    he is outside the top 100 in strokes gained for these two areas, and proximity to the hole he is 200th.
    If he improved those 3 areas he would challenge a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

There's times I think he'd be better off with a 6 iron approach than a wedge these days. So frustrating to see how badly he's liable to miss with a wedge in hand.

Good to know he is in the top 37%. Anything above that would not be great for a top golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I honestly cannot see Rory winning another major.
    He will win the odd tournament if he gets off to a flyer but I just can’t see him winning a major with all the top players there.

Good to know he is in the top 37%. Anything above that would not be great for a top golfer.

I'm sure he's glad that percentage only includes pro golfers, who knows where he might rank if Season 2 & a host of other amateurs were included.

I'm sure he's glad that percentage only includes pro golfers, who knows where he might rank if Season 2 & a host of other amateurs were included.

That is a very fair point, well made.

Given that most golfers, amateurs particularly, are poor putters, would his ranking position not be a lot closer to the top than the bottom? Maybe you think the more amateurs you include, the worse Mcilroys ranking position would be, now that I don’t agree with. But you point is no less funny because of that.

I know ye are taking the Pi** but is putting not actually the part of the game where amateur's are closer to the pros?

Given that most golfers, amateurs particularly, are poor putters, would his ranking position not be a lot closer to the top than the bottom? Maybe you think the more amateurs you include, the worse Mcilroys ranking position would be, now that I don’t agree with. But you point is no less funny because of that.

No no, I'd be firmly in the camp of increased amateurs would lead to a higher ranking for McIlroy or any other pro.
    I'm glad you at least know that, you wouldn't want your position to appear ridiculous or anything.

I know you suggested that Season 2 and a lot of amateurs are probably better than him which I assume most people agree is one of the more humourous things they have read in quite a while.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Flip it on it's head for a second. Everyone lauded Speith's putting for years. Where is he now?

• Advertisement

No no, I'd be firmly in the camp of increased amateurs would lead to a higher ranking for McIlroy or any other pro.
    I'm glad you at least know that, you wouldn't want your position to appear ridiculous or anything.

I know you suggested that Season 2 and a lot of amateurs are probably better than him which I assume most people agree is one of the more humourous things they have read in quite a while.

I think that suggesting that there aren’t amateurs out there that are better putters is at least equally humorous. Funny guys we are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

I think that suggesting that there aren’t amateurs out there that are better putters is at least equally humorous. Funny guys we are.

Well we already Seasons 2 is much than Rory on the greens so I'd say he's not the only one.

Perhaps to you.

Although I'm sure there are some anomalies out there, I think most would agree that your suggestion that there is "a lot" and perhaps Season 2 might be one of them is what we all find most funny.

Perhaps to you.

Although I'm sure there are some anomalies out there, I think most would agree that your suggestion that there is "a lot" and perhaps Season 2 might be one of them is what we all find most funny.

Within the tens of millions of people who play golf, I’m confident there are more than a few “anomalies”.

As this is an avatar based discussion forum, I’m sorry Azalea Billions Griddle, I really can’t be as sure as you about how talented Season is on the green. He/she could be a wizard.

to suggest that one is a better putter than a pro without ever testing oneself at the same level is also frankly laughable

You wont event get a chance to :D

to suggest that one is a better putter than a pro without ever testing oneself at the same level is also frankly laughable

You wont event get a chance to :D

Hmmm, if only I had thought to make that point from the very start.

Hmmm, if only I had thought to make that point from the very start.

where

etxp wrote: »
    I know ye are taking the Pi** but is putting actually the part of the game where amateur's are closer to the pros?

only this guy

there you have it the facts speak for themselves :D

• Advertisement

etxp wrote: »
    there you have it the facts speak for themselves :D

I actually thought that was Season 2 ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement