Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭OEP

ankles wrote: »
    No pressure, here we go again. He'll finish top 10 yet, albeit with no chance of winning. A game that can challenge the gods but can't stand the pressure

So you think he should not try and have a good round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

No pressure, here we go again. He'll finish top 10 yet, albeit with no chance of winning. A game that can challenge the gods but can't stand the pressure

Perfect example of a flawed McIlroy narrative.

Play well on the final day even though he's out of contention then "He only does it when the pressure is off"

Play poorly on the final day even though he's out of contention then "He's a quitter who can't dig in"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Perfect example of a flawed McIlroy narrative.

Play well on the final day even though he's out of contention then "He only does it when the pressure is off"

Play poorly on the final day even though he's out of contention then "He's a quitter who can't dig in"

More often than not he has a great final round when out of contention. I've said before I'm a fan. Just frustrated at how often his game suffers under pressure when he's in contention at the weekend. On the Saturday when he doesn't ove on moving day he comes god on Sunday. And when he's in contention on Sunday he struggles to bring it home. Not all the time, he's got way too much talent for that. But enough to frustrate, him as well as us

More often than not he has a great final round when out of contention. I've said before I'm a fan. Just frustrated at how often his game suffers under pressure when he's in contention at the weekend. On the Saturday when he doesn't ove on moving day he comes god on Sunday. And when he's in contention on Sunday he struggles to bring it home. Not all the time, he's got way too much talent for that. But enough to frustrate, him as well as us

He was never in contention this week. He has 28 wins, which is equal to DJ I think. No other player from their generation comes close so how can you say he struggles to win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

OEP wrote: »
    He was never in contention this week. He has 28 wins, which is equal to DJ I think. No other player from their generation comes close so how can you say he struggles to win?

Talent wise he is arguably more gifted than other players of his generation, wouldn’t you say?

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Talent wise he is arguably more gifted than other players of his generation, wouldn’t you say?

I don't really want to go through that cycle that seems to happen every second week here. I've no issue in criticism for him but those comments about playing good on the final day when out of contention are just a bit stupid really. Actually I wouldn't say he is arguably more talented than DJ to be honest, the rest of them yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

He is on a similar level to Dustin and a few others

I don't really want to go through that cycle that seems to happen every second week here. I've no issue in criticism for him but those comments about playing good on the final day when out of contention are just a bit stupid really. Actually I wouldn't say he is arguably more talented than DJ to be honest, the rest of them yes.

It’s fair to say the reason that the cycle repeats regularly, is because he plays that way regularly.

I think the term often used is “mercurial”, great interspersed with ordinary and bad.

Personally I think he is more talented than DJ, but everyone has their own opinion.

It’s fair to say the reason that the cycle repeats regularly, is because he plays that way regularly.

Personally I think he is more talented than DJ, but everyone has their own opinion.

Part of it is that he is in contention so often, so it looks as if he falls away all the time but what I'm saying is that if you look at in the context of how often he actually wins then he's not doing bad - taking Tiger and and Jack out of it, how many other players have had 28 wins at his age? I'm too lazy to look it up but I'd say only a handful.

I'd also say he's more talented than DJ but it's not clear cut. He also has more majors, and same wins younger so that's probably enough to say he is.

I think the term often used is “mercurial”, great interspersed with ordinary and bad.

That's how it works for most glpro golfers

It's not that easy to win, plenty never manage it

He has managed it a lot

It might be more competitive now than it's ever been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Fair ****ing frustrating anyway. Putter on fire today but pathetic yesterday. Still blowing hot and cold with his irons and wedges too. Needs consistency across the board.

Think he will ultimately be disappointed with this week. Thought the course would suit him well. The awful start on Thursday plus the awful round yesterday gave him no chance of a victory.

On to Riviera in 2 weeks time. A place he should have won last year but for a final round melt down of sorts.

I heard it filtered through to him that a load of amateurs were much better putters than him and it took the wind out of his sails

One minute he's the most talented golfer in a generation, now he is a worse putter than season2

I heard it filtered through to him that a load of amateurs were much better putters than him and it took the wind out of his sails

One minute he's the most talented golfer in a generation, now he is a worse putter than season2

I suspect he knows there are better putters out there than him, and what a municipal authority is. 😜

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

They've all got serious talent, I wouldn't say he's anymore talented than the likes of DJ, JT or Rahm, why would you think McIlroy is more talented?

I suspect he knows there are better putters out there than him, and what a municipal authority is. 😜

Have you ever used those words yourself cowboy 🀠 municipal authority

I doubt he's thinking those better putters are posting Shiite on boards at the same time

The hubris of people is amazing at times

They've all got serious talent, I wouldn't say he's anymore talented than the likes of DJ, JT or Rahm, why would you think McIlroy is more talented?

Personal opinion, I do, when it all comes together.

But not even in the top 300 putters in Ireland, all things considered

But not even in the top 300 putters in Ireland, all things considered

Where did you get that stat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Irish media build him up because he's Irish but there's no way he's anymore talented than anyone else, he's just very very good.

Where did you get that stat?

From the same place anyone else is getting it

There are close to 200k golfers in the country

That's a teeny tiny percentage of them

• Advertisement

There are close to 200k golfers in the country

And the stats for the 300 best putters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Irish media build him up because he's Irish but there's no way he's anymore talented than anyone else, he's just very very good.

DJ & Rory are the most talented players on tour-ignoring Tiger of course.

I don't think Rahm, JT, Bryson, Xander, Rose are on their level, they just don't have the A-game of DJ & Rory.

Nothing between Rory & DJ for me, Rory showed more at a younger age but DJ has a more well rounded game.

Perhaps Hovland, Morikawa might prove to be on that level but dont think we've seen enough of them quite yet.

And the stats for the 300 best putters?

That's a teeny tiny percentage of them

Very small

DJ & Rory are the most talented players on tour-ignoring Tiger of course.

I don't think Rahm, JT, Bryson, Xander, Rose are on their level, they just don't have the A-game of DJ & Rory.

Nothing between Rory & DJ for me, Rory showed more at a younger age but DJ has a more well rounded game.

Perhaps Hovland, Morikawa might prove to be on that level but dont think we've seen enough of them quite yet.

And he could hardly win a game of pitch n putt according to boards

Everyone goes on about majors being the only currency, which is fair, so that puts Rory and Brooks at the top of current generation. Koepka only has 4 other wins if you exclude the Japan Tour and Challenge Tour - Rory has 24 more wins.

Even though DJ has underperformed in majors it would be stupid not to say he's one of the best of this generation, with 2 majors and 26 other wins.

There are other golfers who may turn out to be better, but I don't see any metric you can use against Rory and DJ and maybe Koepka (just because of majors) being better than the rest. So it's not just Irish media

Everyone goes on about majors being the only currency, which is fair, so that puts Rory and Brooks at the top of current generation. Koepka only has 4 other wins if you exclude the Japan Tour and Challenge Tour - Rory has 24 more wins.

Even though DJ has underperformed in majors it would be stupid not to say he's one of the best of this generation, with 2 majors and 26 other wins.

There are other golfers who may turn out to be better, but I don't see any metric you can use against Rory and DJ and maybe Koepka (just because of majors) being better than the rest. So it's not just Irish media

Speith has 3 majors and what 18 wins or something?

By that metric he's up there too

Speith has 3 majors and what 18 wins or something?

By that metric he's up there too

Yea, didn't realise he had that many wins

Edit: He actually only has 10 others wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Augme

https://m.independent.ie/sport/golf/a-putting-green-and-a-mirror-rory-mcilroy-explains-how-old-technique-sparked-stunning-performance-40068010.html

Interesting read. Plenty in there for his fans and detractors. Get the sense it is written by a very fair weather golf person. I get the sense it is articles like this that frustrate people in relation to McIlroy and I know Rory has absolutely zero say in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,396 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In end of 2014 Rory had 4 majors. At start if 2021 he still in same figure. I say you have got some odds in that 7 years ago.

I just wonder though how much pressure he has put himself under especially the last few years going into the big events when you see the awful thursdays in general he seems to have.

• Advertisement

In end of 2014 Rory had 4 majors. At start if 2021 he still in same figure. I say you have got some odds in that 7 years ago.

I just wonder though how much pressure he has put himself under especially the last few years going into the big events when you see the awful thursdays in general he seems to have.

Surely that pressure comes with the job description for top sports people?

Maybe putting a line on his ball will help putting consistency.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement