Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

I think all he needs at the masters is the focus to be on other players for the first few days. Come in 2 or 3 shots back on the final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

Rikand wrote: »
    Ah sure anyone can have a bad week at the office

According to golfwrx he was trying new shafts in his irons this week. Might have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Russman wrote: »
    According to golfwrx he was trying new shafts in his irons this week. Might have something to do with it.

New shafts, altered lie angles, new driver head and heavier shaft, new ball, all in play in Riviera.
    major changes being made, and i would predict all for the good.

New shafts, altered lie angles, new driver head and heavier shaft, new ball, all in play in Riviera.
    major changes being made, and i would predict all for the good.

Interesting. Good info, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

1st round today ...misses putts from 3 1/2, 4 1/2 ( twice) and 6 1/2 ft.
    Pretty dismal again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I'd love to know his ranking for putting. Can't seriously be in the top 100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

His putting is shocking. I can't believe he can't find someone to teach him how to putt properly. It's far and away the weakest part of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

bailey99 wrote: »
    His putting is shocking. I can't believe he can't find someone to teach him how to putt properly. It's far and away the weakest part of his game.

Oddly enough he does, Brad Faxon.
    I remember watching the 1997 Ryder Cup and they were discussing various players and it was put to Colin Montgomerie that Brad Faxon was one of the best putters in the world. Monty said that might be true but that no-one could ever remember him sinking a crucial putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

bailey99 wrote: »

Believe it or not his wedge play is worse

Longer courses would be a huge benefit to him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I agree, there's not many players out there that split fairways, leave a 9/wedge in and then miss the green.
    At that level it's like missing your mouth with your fork

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Well Brad faxon isn't working. He's been with him for at least two years of and it's made diddly difference

I presume there are two key parts to putting --putting stroke and reading the green.
    The putting stroke can be adjusted and experimented with through coaching suggestions .
    Reading the line is a more subtle skill but one would expect an established topline pro to have amassed enough experience to become adept at this. They almost always play on fast true greens,they practise the course beforehand and they have caddies to advise as well.

Yesterday McIlroy said he made the same misread on the first three short misses and then finally over-compensated to miss the fourth. This is just risible from a player of his standing.
    He can't prosper if he constantly gifts the field 7 or 8 silly putting misses per tournament which he has been doing regularly of late.

I think he looks much a better putter with the mallet though rather than the anser style. But hey, what do I know.

The frustrating thing for me as a fan is that he doesn't even have to putt well, all he has to do is putt ok to be right up there IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

If it's reading the greens that is the issue then maybe he should get a proper caddy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Salvadoor wrote: »
    If it's reading the greens that is the issue then maybe he should get a proper caddy

What's a proper caddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

What's a proper caddy?

Not a friend, someone with tour experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Salvadoor wrote: »
    Not a friend, someone with tour experience

Someone like JP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Believe it or not his wedge play is worse

Longer courses would be a huge benefit to him

This is it. McIlroy isn't losing to his rivals on the greens, it's is approach. OWGR top 8 and their putting stats this season:

110 - DJ
    127 - Rahm
    53 - JT
    6 - Schauffele
    24 - Hatton
    213 - Morikawa
    40 - Cantlay
    114 - McIlroy

So he's ahead or Rahm and just behind DJ. But for approach:

1 - DJ
    14 - Rahm
    16 - JT
    21 - Schauffele
    11 - Hatton
    3 - Morikawa
    50 - Cantlay
    119 - McIlroy

That kills him. He's miles behind his peers there.

Those four putts he missed yesterday are shocking, but he only lost 1 stroke to the field on the green yesterday. The question is does he make 3 or 4 of them today instead and have the round of the day, or miss them and the longer ones he made on other holes and shoots even.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

tobsey wrote: »
    This is it. McIlroy isn't losing to his rivals on the greens, it's is approach. OWGR top 8 and their putting stats this season:

110 - DJ
    127 - Rahm
    53 - JT
    6 - Schauffele
    24 - Hatton
    213 - Morikawa
    40 - Cantlay
    114 - McIlroy

1 - DJ
    14 - Rahm
    16 - JT
    21 - Schauffele
    11 - Hatton
    3 - Morikawa
    50 - Cantlay
    119 - McIlroy

Those four putts he missed yesterday are shocking, but he only lost 1 stroke to the field on the green yesterday. The question is does he make 3 or 4 of them today instead and have the round of the day, or miss them and the longer ones he made on other holes and shoots even.

What does “only lost one stroke on the field” mean when considered along with those short length misses?

Dav010 wrote: »
    What does “only lost one stroke on the field” mean when considered along with those short length misses?

If 5 players had the same putt on the day, 4 made it and 1 didn’t. The field took 6 shots to hole out from that distance. The field average is 1.2. Mcilroy took 2 putts so lost 0.8. The other 4 players made it and gained 0.2 each. Sum all the strokes gained putting for the field and you end up with 0. It shows how well a player performed compared to the average. There’s more value to it than using total number of putts or even putts per GIR. If a player two putts from 30 feet they haven’t lost anything to the field in putting, but they probably did in approach if the average distance from the hole was 10 feet for example

• Advertisement

If 5 players had the same putt on the day, 4 made it and 1 didn’t. The field took 6 shots to hole out from that distance. The field average is 1.2. Mcilroy took 2 putts so lost 0.8. The other 4 players made it and gained 0.2 each. Sum all the strokes gained putting for the field and you end up with 0. It shows how well a player performed compared to the average. There’s more value to it than using total number of putts or even putts per GIR. If a player two putts from 30 feet they haven’t lost anything to the field in putting, but they probably did in approach if the average distance from the hole was 10 feet for example

What’s the point of a stat that says you lost one stroke on the field, when the sample includes half the field who haven’t a hope of winning? What matters is that he missed a number of putts that he would have been expected to make.

It’s the scores on the card that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

What’s the point of a stat that says you lost one stroke on the field, when the sample includes half the field who haven’t a hope of winning? What matters is that he missed a number of putts that he would have been expected to make.

It’s the scores on the card that matter.

Because you can compare his putting stats to the others in the top 10 or whatever if you want. So if the others in the top 10 are all gaining a stroke putting and he's breaking even you can use that as a measure of him falling behind the top guys in putting.

blue note wrote: »
    Because you can compare his putting stats to the others in the top 10 or whatever if you want. So if the others in the top 10 are all gaining a stroke putting and he's breaking even you can use that as a measure of him falling behind the top guys in putting.

Does how he compares to others change the scores on his card, or change the fact that he missed a number of shortish putts?

I get that some are into stats, strokes gained on this and that, but at the end of a round, it’s the scores on those 18 holes that count, not that you gained on an average which includes a quarter of the field that are miles behind the leaders. The worse the back markers play, the better the stroked gains stats look for a player like Mcilroy, does it change his score though?

Does how he compares to others change the scores on his card, or change the fact that he missed a number of shortish putts?

I get that some are into stats, strokes gained on this and that, but at the end of a round, it’s the scores on those 18 holes that count, not that you gained on an average which includes a quarter of the field that are miles behind the leaders. The worse the back markers play, the better the stroked gains stats look for a player like Mcilroy, does it change his score though?
    That’s a fair point, but he ended the day -3, 3 back of the leader. So to only highlight 4 poor putts in what was a solid round is disingenuous. There was no mention of the 8 footer or 10 footer he did make which made big difference to his score on those holes.

That’s a fair point, but he ended the day -3, 3 back of the leader. So to only highlight 4 poor putts in what was a solid round is disingenuous. There was no mention of the 8 footer or 10 footer he did make which made big difference to his score on those holes.

I don’t think it is disingenuous, I think it is more so to ignore the missed easier putts on 4 holes , and highlight the moderate length ones he got on 2.

I'd be interested to see how many strokes he loses to the field on the par 5s. ...seems to be scoring poorly on them lately ...another clunker of a DB 7 today.

I don’t think it is disingenuous, I think it is more so to ignore the missed easier putts on 4 holes , and highlight the moderate length ones he got on 2.

That’s why I brought up stoked gained. It doesn’t ignore any putts. It adds them all up and sees how well you did. You were saying you prefer to look at the score on the card, he shot 69 in the end, a decent round. Yea the four putts were bad but most of the rest was very good. If he missed those four and shot one or two over then that would be different

Why didnt he take a drop!!

110 - DJ
    127 - Rahm
    53 - JT
    6 - Schauffele
    24 - Hatton
    213 - Morikawa
    40 - Cantlay
    114 - McIlroy

1 - DJ
    14 - Rahm
    16 - JT
    21 - Schauffele
    11 - Hatton
    3 - Morikawa
    50 - Cantlay
    119 - McIlroy

Part of it that he looks like he misses more because every putt is shown

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Part of it that he looks like he misses more because every putt is shown

..well he does putt more than most

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement