Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

he was tied 6th, its not like he missed the cut

considering he is so shocking at golf by all accounts, that's a good result

Don't you know around here McIlroy needs to win or he will get criticised, any other other Irish player can finish in 20th or 30th and they're a great lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Don't you know around here McIlroy needs to win or he will get criticised, any other other Irish player can finish in 20th or 30th and they're a great lad.

Ya? Who is a “great lad”?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

gypsy79 wrote:
    You think he is just his friend who holds his bag. If you believe that then you need take a long hard look at yourself

Ouch, that hurt.
    Have you putted on courses in California, Florida, Georgia, North or South Carolina. Long Island or anywhere else that has US tour venues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

First Up wrote: »
    Ouch, that hurt.
    Have you putted on courses in California, Florida, Georgia, North or South Carolina. Long Island or anywhere else that has US tour venues?

I'm sure Harry has

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Dav010 wrote: »
    There was no cut.

Maybe you are confusing it with his last tournament, where he did miss the cut.

I was using it as an example

perfect and when did he miss the cut before that?

• Advertisement

I was using it as an example

perfect and when did he miss the cut before that?

I think it was the complete implosion at the Open, a pretty good run. Glad I could help, thought you were confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bit mad how there was no issue with Harry's USA grass knowledge when shooting the low round on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Ouch, that hurt.

No point arguing with lunacy like this. How do you know I havent and what difference would that make?

Rory be like, ah I heard an 18 handicapper lad living in Dublin 7 once played on these green. I should give him a call

Mushy wrote: »
    Bit mad how there was no issue with Harry's USA grass knowledge when shooting the low round on Saturday

Maybe the caddies are less important when the player is playing well, and more so when they are playing badly or in times of stress. Faldo credited his caddy with keeping him calm at stressful times, Woods is particular about his caddies for the same reason. I’m not convinced about the caddy argument either way, I suspect some players come to rely on their caddies advice, others just need them to carry the bag, at the end of any discussion, only one takes the shot.

Maybe the caddies are less important when the player is playing well, and more so when they are playing badly or in times of stress. Faldo credited his caddy with keeping him calm at stressful times, Woods is particular about his caddies for the same reason. I’m not convinced about the caddy argument either way, I suspect some players come to rely on their caddies advice, others just need them to carry the bag, at the end of any discussion, only one takes the shot.

This is it, I'd imagine the type of caddy is particular to every player and their personality - so that's why I think the argument of Rory needing an "experienced" caddy is nonsense. Harry is obviously someone he is comfortable with and is also a former amateur international

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's been pointed out so many times over the year, the issue is his irons approach, he's leaving himself under too much pressure due to proximity to the flag.
    This is not the caddy's fault, Rory has the correct club, he just can't get the distance/direction to where it needs to be.

Fix that and then all else will fall into place, his irons were unreal when he won the Irish Open and he won that with woeful putting stats.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

I heard in the commentary yestetday Harry played this course in some International Amateur event a few years back.
    I think they said he had 7 birdies.
    Thats pretty good green reading if true.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    No point arguing with lunacy like this. How do you know I havent and what difference would that make?

l

Well I asked you and you haven't answered.

The difference it would make is that you would understand that there is huge variation in putting across the US, because different types of grass are used in different parts of the country. A caddy experienced in the different grasses will be better equipped to read them and will be more useful than one who isn't.

Well I asked you and you haven't answered.

The difference it would make is that you would understand that there is huge variation in putting across the US, because different types of grass are used in different parts of the country. A caddy experienced in the different grasses will be better equipped to read them and will be more useful than one who isn't.

What does that have to do with Harry Diamond?

OEP wrote:
    What does that have to do with Harry Diamond?

You figure it out.

You figure it out.

No, I think you just made a very poor argument against him being his caddy

OEP wrote:
    No, I think you just made a very poor argument against him being his caddy

Looks like you don't understand my argument but that's OK.

That someone who has been a caddy for 4 years on the PGA tour doesn't have experience on the different types of greens in the US?

OEP wrote:
    That someone who has been a caddy for 4 years on the PGA tour doesn't have experience on the different types of greens in the US?

Doesn't have enough experience maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Bring back JP...........so we can blame him again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

By your logic , players playing the pga tour should really only employ caddies that have grown up playing US courses. I think it’s clear to everyone that this is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

Does Rory actually use his caddie for lining up putts ? Open to correction, but I'm sure I've seen/heard he doesn't ?

His father could take the bag for a while , if rory starts to play bad he could get an earful of... 'pull yourself together ye little sh*t, you're bringing shame on the family playing like that'..

rooney30 wrote: »
    By your logic , players playing the pga tour should really only employ caddies that have grown up playing US courses. I think it’s clear to everyone that this is nonsense

Clear nonsense, you say.

Interestingly, of the 19-20 winners on PGA Tour, the vast majority had American caddies. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was replicated on the tour.

https://www.thecaddienetwork.com/2019-20-pga-tour-winning-player-and-caddie-pairs/

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

Clear nonsense, you say.

Interestingly, of the 19-20 winners on PGA Tour, the vast majority had American caddies. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was replicated on the tour.

https://www.thecaddienetwork.com/2019-20-pga-tour-winning-player-and-caddie-pairs/

Of course , most winners were from the US too, follows suit that most of their caddies will be American . Says more about the quality of US players over their international counterparts , than anything else

Of course , most winners were from the US too, follows suit that most of their caddies will be American . Says more about the quality of US players over their international counterparts , than anything else

So you don’t think that knowledge of American courses plays a part in players on the PGA tour employing American caddies? Interesting, personally I would have thought that any player who wants a caddie to do more than carry a bag, would employ someone who brings insight to the party.

This caddy argument has probably gone too far but it's something that really annoys me for some reason. I just think it's such a daft argument because it's not something anyone outside of the player's inner circle has any knowledge of whatsoever. Each player has their preference on what they need from a caddy. For example, Lowry said he likes his caddy to take his mind off the golf and talk ****e during a round essentially but that could drive another player nuts. You can see how Spieth and Greller chat constantly over the ball. DJ has his putt reading routine with Austin etc. Patrick Reed has his brother in-law who was working in medical sales before this, and his wife before that. It's not like Rory has picked a former drinking buddy or something - Harry won a matchplay 7&5 at The Concession with something like 7 birdies.

OEP wrote: »
    This caddy argument has probably gone too far but it's something that really annoys me for some reason. I just think it's such a daft argument because it's not something anyone outside of the player's inner circle has any knowledge of whatsoever. Each player has their preference on what they need from a caddy. For example, Lowry said he likes his caddy to take his mind off the golf and talk ****e during a round essentially but that could drive another player nuts. You can see how Spieth and Greller chat constantly over the ball. DJ has his putt reading routine with Austin etc. Patrick Reed has his brother in-law who was working in medical sales before this, and his wife before that. It's not like Rory has picked a former drinking buddy or something - Harry won a matchplay 7&5 at The Concession with something like 7 birdies.

Is Harry working out for Rory these days?

Is Harry working out for Rory these days?

Rory seems to think so

• Advertisement

Its a game of fine margins at that level.

Rory's putting lapses get highlighted a lot around here. He doesn't take as much advantage of his length as he might and it looks like he could use some help.

Maybe Harry Diamond gives him bad advice or maybe he doesn't say anything. Either way, a caddy with a better understanding of the varied grass types on greens might be better able to help than one who isn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement