Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Wombatman wrote: »
    Bring back JP...........so we can blame him again.

I don’t think there would be a snowballs chance in hell of that ever happening

Caddy argument is daft. Some around here would think that there is some sort of university diploma you should be getting in order to become a caddy.

Harry is a great fit for Rory IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

Rory's wedge play is shockingly poor and today is no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Lip Out wrote: »
    Rory's wedge play is shockingly poor and today is no exception.

His putting is saving bar that 3 putt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Seve OB wrote: »
    I don’t think there would be a snowballs chance in hell of that ever happening

Caddy argument is daft. Some around here would think that there is some sort of university diploma you should be getting in order to become a caddy.

Harry is a great fit for Rory IMO.

Lots of people who have university diplomas have f**k all practical ability when they start a job, but experience and knowledge is a valuable asset in the workplace. The argument seems to be that one of the worlds best players has a caddy with no previous experience in the job of caddying. Whether that is a help or hindrance when it comes to Mcillroys performance is arguable.

Long putt coming up, considering the discussion over the past 24hrs, interesting to see if this will be a 2 or 3 putt.

V good 2 putt, to tie lead.

4 birds in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Looks like he could beat both of his playing partners by 10+ strokes today. Often difficult to get momentum when you are watching people struggle, but he hasn't show that so far today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

gypsy79 wrote: »
    111 yards out on 18 in the middle of the fairway

Leaves himself 43ft from the pin......I would be disappointed and I am an 18 handicapper

Yet his wedges are the problem

What's that like 10 metres away? The way I'm I've played last year I'm just happy when I hit the green.

What's that like 10 metres away? The way I'm I've played last year I'm just happy when I hit the green.

I’d be happy to see a green. Great to see crowds there again.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Lots of people who have university diplomas have f**k all practical ability when they start a job, but experience and knowledge is a valuable asset in the workplace. The argument seems to be that one of the worlds best players has a caddy with no previous experience in the job of caddying. Whether that is a help or hindrance when it comes to Mcillroys performance is arguable.

Long putt coming up, considering the discussion over the past 24hrs, interesting to see if this will be a 2 or 3 putt.

V good 2 putt, to tie lead.

4 birds in a row.

Ah no experience apart from the last 5 years!!

Has Rory even been outside the world top 20 in that time?

No experience of caddying for other golfers and honing the skills which may be necessary to give guidance/assistance when needed. I’m not arguing against you, as I’ve posted, I’m not sure what benefits if any an experienced caddy might give to an individual golfer, they all probably have different views on what they look for in a caddy.

Having your friend/brother/wife etc caddy may have benefits that another caddy don’t have, but we all at times benefit from impartial opinions and home truths that someone close to us just don’t feel comfortable saying. Also, I’m sure it is far more difficult to tell someone close to you it isn’t working, than an employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Looks like he could beat both of his playing partners by 10+ strokes today. Often difficult to get momentum when you are watching people struggle, but he hasn't show that so far today.

Good point, players often find that hard, fair play to him.

• Advertisement

Colin Byrne recently said to become a great caddy first find a great player!

I'd take that to mean that caddys have minimal affect especially for the best players in the world. There's only so much info you can give a player but ultimately its player that has to hit the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

So do we blame his putting, wedge play, driving or caddy for him being at the top of the leaderboard?

So do we blame his putting, wedge play, driving or caddy for him being at the top of the leaderboard?

If only life was this simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Good point but they don't give out the trophy on a Thursday so let's wait and see but I do see a few big wins for him this year

That was with some awful wedge play....if he could get that right he will be number 1 by a stretch again. His putting is nowhere near as bad as it was. He is in middle of field

Drove ball magnificently and his iron play is best on tour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

gypsy79 wrote: »
    111 yards out on 18 in the middle of the fairway

Leaves himself 43ft from the pin......I would be disappointed and I am an 18 handicapper

Yet his wedges are the problem

If you are an 18 handicapper who regularly hits greens from over 100 yards out your putting stats must be shocking.

If you are an 18 handicapper who regularly hits greens from over 100 yards out your putting stats must be shocking.

I suspect a high percentage of amateurs would have lower handicaps if they were good putters. We all know players with higher handicaps who hit greens regularly but can’t putt for s**te. No shame in that, we don’t rely on it to make a living.

Almost 4 shots gained putting today, if he can keep that up into the weekend he'll be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Since Rory entered the top 10 in the OWGR for the first time in late 2009, he's only been outside it a handful of times (majority in 2010). His worst ranking since first entering the top 10 is 13th in 2018. During the week he was 13th, he won the API and jumped back into the top 10 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

neddynasty wrote: »
    Since Rory entered the top 10 in the OWGR for the first time in late 2009, he's only been outside it a handful of times (majority in 2010). His worst ranking since first entering the top 10 is 13th in 2018. During the week he was 13th, he won the API and jumped back into the top 10 again.

He is 5th in the most weeks in the top 10 since the rankings started 35 years ago.

Woods 906 weeks
    Els 788 weeks
    Mickelson 775 weeks
    Norman 646 weeks
    McIlroy 556 weeks
    Singh 544 weeks
    Faldo 473 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Soooo frustrating watching him tonight. Aside from Laird, he's the only player in the top 10 who didn't finish under par. This is what he did lately.

Missed a short putt on 18 for par to finish 1 over having been very bad with his approaches, chipping and putting. 4 back, so he's not out but he'll need a huge improvement over today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

SuprSi wrote: »
    Soooo frustrating watching him tonight. Aside from Laird, he's the only player in the top 10 who didn't finish under par. This is what he did lately.

Missed a short putt on 18 for par to finish 1 over having been very bad with his approaches, chipping and putting. 4 back, so he's not out but he'll need a huge improvement over today.

Finished level for the day, but yes very frustrating to watch today. Doesn’t look like his long game is there at the moment. Chipping was unusually bad today but thought he putter ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder how many fairways he hit today. Didn’t seem like many.
    I though he was getting back to near his best but his golf today was nowhere near and yet he’s only four shots off the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I wonder how many fairways he hit today. Didn’t seem like many.
    I though he was getting back to near his best but his golf today was nowhere near and yet he’s only four shots off the lead.

Seemed to lose a lot right off the tee, but hit 9/14 going by shot tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

fullstop wrote: »
    Seemed to lose a lot right off the tee, but hit 9/14 going by shot tracker.

Surprised at that. Didn’t seem that many but maybe they only showed his misses,

Thanks for reminding me

But a big issue is that I am short off the tee. So far too often a wedge from 60-100 yards is my third

Struggled yesterday, still has a squeak but would need to bring his Thursday form into Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,374 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Struggled yesterday, still has a squeak but would need to bring his Thursday form into Sunday.

I'm going to go out in a limb and say he'll try force some early birdies which won't work out, leaving himself worse off than the start.

Hopefully not though!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Mushy wrote: »
    I'm going to go out in a limb and say he'll try force some early birdies which won't work out, leaving himself worse off than the start.

Hopefully not though!

I think he'll get the early birdies to pull himself to within 1 but then on the 6th hole, having seen Brysons drive from yesterday he'll try hit the green, come up short, take a 9 and then watch as Bryson lobs it on with a 3 wood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

I think yesterday was his bad round.
    He normally has 1 and then plays free and loose when the pressure's off.
    If he goes out today with that mindset he will win.
    Putter is vastly improved IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement