Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

2 in the water on 6. That finishes that

Brain dead stuff on 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Went for the most aggressive line and didn’t execute. Still the wrong course management decision. Players going to struggle today and just needed to keep the driver in play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Rikand wrote: »
    I think he'll get the early birdies to pull himself to within 1 but then on the 6th hole, having seen Brysons drive from yesterday he'll try hit the green, come up short, take a 9 and then watch as Bryson lobs it on with a 3 wood

Are you a time traveller:)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Went for the most aggressive line and didn’t execute. Still the wrong course management decision. Players going to struggle today and just needed to keep the driver in play

Ah De Chambeau getting in his head now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

costacorta wrote: »
    Ah De Chambeau getting in his head now .

How do you come to the conclusion that DeChambeau had anything to do with what he just did?! He wasn’t trying to drive the green, he wasn’t even trying to hit it where DeChambeau hit it yesterday. He said to the caddy “I was looking right of there”. He hooked it.

Some double bogey it must be said. He drives me ****ing mad. So frustrating to follow.

So reckless what does he be thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

fullstop wrote: »
    How do you come to the conclusion that DeChambeau had anything to do with what he just did?! He wasn’t trying to drive the green, he wasn’t even trying to hit it where DeChambeau hit it yesterday. He said to the caddy “I was looking right of there”. He hooked it.

That comment was for the benefit of cameras, on 1st Tee shot he thought he'd made it over until it stalled, look at the footage

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Ya he hooked it twice , another person who thinks Rory is the greatest golfer on tour I suppose? .He will be alright for rest of round now as pressure of winning is gone .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

I can’t believe he got it down in 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ya he hooked it twice , another person who thinks Rory is the greatest golfer on tour I suppose? .He will be alright for rest of round now as pressure of winning is gone .

By the way - just to be clear only Rory and Brooks have 4 majors that are currently active on tour.

Rory has won way more outside of that. So by definition - Rory is the greatest golfer on tour.

Just so we are all clear here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

By the way - just to be clear only Rory and Brooks have 4 majors that are currently active on tour.

Rory has won way more outside of that. So by definition - Rory is the greatest golfer on tour.

Just so we are all clear here.

This thread should be renamed - Rory Mcilroy greatest golfer on tour

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    This thread should be renamed - Rory Mcilroy greatest golfer on tour

He won the FedEx in 2019 -

People post here as if he is a lad in about 47th in Cat 2 - in the club medal, or a Turkey shoot.

In the drink on 11. Once again his head is completely gone. While he battled well the last two days when he wasn’t playing that well, he has just dropped his head here and can’t just grind it out.

Same **** different week really. One good round followed by average and crap rounds. Obviously not trusting his swing and not confident in it. Still good enough to contend most weeks but he is ultimately really far off winning tournaments again.

People can support and follow him but also be really critical of his game.

Just to confirm the frustration he dumps it in water on 11 and then gets up and down again from 139 yards to save par.

At the moment he’s not even close to it, but over the last 10 years he most likely is.
    Wrong on your second prediction there too. He’s dropped 2 more shots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

At the moment he’s not even close to it, but over the last 10 years he most likely is.
    Wrong on your second prediction there too. He’s dropped 2 more shots.

If he rebounds well its because he's freewheeling as the pressure is off, if he doesn't, his head is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If he rebounds well its because he's freewheeling as the pressure is off, if he doesn't, his head is gone.

Succinctly put.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Another top 10 clocked in! :D

Front door top 10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

A model of consistency, he’ll be delighted.

Dav010 wrote: »
    A model of consistency, he’ll be delighted.

Don’t think he will tbh. Bad round today.

Outside the Top 10 in the world now.

Harry and/or Michael will be nervous over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

Looking at his full scorecard I observed that in his last 51 holes his only birdies were at the par 5s
    -shows how much his game inexplicably fell away from the heady heights of day 1.
    After that 66 you'd probably have got decent odds against his not breaking 70 again.
    In fact he wouldn't have needed to- three 70s would have sufficed !
    I still think he'll pull off a win over the next 2/3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

He hasn't been as good as he usually is off the tee the last few weeks, and his irons haven't been good either. He said as much before the WGC, and that he was working on stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Ah McIlroy, the enigma.

And this thread is hilarious.

I think it's valid to state that Rory is both an incredible talent with incredible achievements AND a bit of a choker/underachiever. For me, it's not a case of either or. It does show to me though that golf, even for the pros, is 99% between the ears. Something is holding him back - it's not like he hasn't got all the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Rory is an enigma alright.

Talk of blaming the caddy is premature, it’s not like he’s missing out by a shot here or there, he’s fully 6/7 shots off the winner.

He does need a change IMO and not just about caddy/coach but a perspective change. He comes across as someone who knows his own mind but perhaps isn’t willing to take advice/direction/instruction to his detriment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

This twitter exchange between Max Homa and ESPN sportswriter van Valkenburg amused me :)

https://twitter.com/KVanValkenburg/status/1368968029736931333?s=19

Well he has started like he did in port rush in 2019. What a ****ing disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Double bogey at opener . Next up par 5. Needs to get birdie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement