Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Can't see him competing this week, you really need to be on your game for Sawgrass.

Can't see him competing this week, you really need to be on your game for Sawgrass.

Yes it's not the place to be if you have a 2 way miss and it is obviously playing tough looking at the early scoring. Finau +5 after 5 as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

you really need to be on your game for Sawgrass.

This is true ! You can't fake it round that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

3 over now, good luck

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lot of players over par, have the toughened up the course for this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

3 over after 4 holes. Completely off his game or is this his game now?

Missed cut a danger now

Straight into the water off the tee on 18 too, he'll be very lucky to make the cut playing like this

And into the water with his 3rd, he might as well go home now

Finishes the 9th with an 8, putting him +7 after 9. I actually feel sorry for him now, his head is down, his game is in absolute tatters and I don't think he knows what to do about it.

• Advertisement

Safe to say he's missing the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

Maybe this will be the catalyst to go off and figure it out. He was getting away with it the last few weeks - decent finishes without ever actually playing that well.

Needs to try and meet Bannon somewhere for a few weeks practice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Can’t see him winning this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Even the green jacket is a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Actually probably not that guaranteed yet. Scoring is very difficult so he could easily get it back towards even. Although he looks like the way he is playing there is only one way he is going.

Cantalay, Finau, stenson, Xander all having shockers so far

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Actually probably not that guaranteed yet. Scoring is very difficult so he could easily get it back towards even. Although he looks like the way he is playing there is only one way he is going.

Cantalay, Finau, stenson, Xander all having shockers so far

True, T58 is +3
    Plenty more going to have nightmares out there.

+6 now, confidence seems to be gone.

I feel a sacking coming on. Diamond or Bannon will be for the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Panrich

I think he has had issues getting enough time with Bannon since lockdown and it is showing. Diamond would certainly be in the crosshairs you'd think though as it's an easy enough change to make.

The problem I see for Rory is that he comes across as a player who likes to make his own mind up and wouldn't lean on his caddy for shot/line advice too much. In that case, a change on the bag won't make much difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

No one will be sacked. They'll leave to pursue other opportunities. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

A shocker with an iron of the 6th tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Holy ****, that’s a wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

A new coach or caddie is not going to fix the issues we are seeing. I think it's more on the mental side. Hoping he can find winning ways again this year. Too much talent to stay down.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Lip Out wrote: »
    A new coach or caddie is not going to fix the issues we are seeing. I think it's more on the mental side. Hoping he can find winning ways again this year. Too much talent to stay down.

Most sensible quote on here in a long time.. Couldn't agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

Lip Out wrote: »

I don't think a coach or caddy will change things either but there are definitely issues with his swing, the mental side has never caused him to have misses like he's having today.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Sloppy finish.. 2 into the bunker behind the green on the 9th, and 4 to get down..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

2 sixes and a 8 on the card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

Whatever about other issues ,the woes on the green continue
    Missed putts today of 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ,10ft . ( rounded to nearest half foot).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

OEP wrote: »
    I don't think a coach or caddy will change things either but there are definitely issues with his swing, the mental side has never caused him to have misses like he's having today.

Some of the misses today were extraordinary. Players can have one or two real bad ones a round but Rory was all over the place. Mostly snap hooks which leads to lack of distance control. Wasn’t the only problem today considering the amount of putts he missed also.

Great chances for birdie after starting with double and misses both only to go and 3 putt the next from 20 feet. Just criminal really.

With how bad he is swinging the club lately it’s actually an achievement that he finished top10 the last few weeks.

The break next week and this weekend will hopefully do him well. I personally think he does need to freshen things up with a new caddie but the current bad play isn’t down to him in fairness. I’d get Bones on the bag. Experience and won’t be afraid to make his opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement