Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Doing well today, Only 2 over. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Rory reckons that the problems he's having with his swing lately are because he's been chasing more swing speed, trying to match Bryson.

I find that ridiculous, the guy who was longest on tour the last few years (or thereabouts), chasing more speed. Whatever about speed training for those with average speeds, you wouldn't think he'd be that far behind Bryson that he'd want to go messing with his swing so much.

Of all the things for him to want to improve.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/golf/news/12176/12244355/rory-mcilroy-developed-swing-flaws-after-bryson-dechambeau-inspired-him-to-increase-speed-and-distance

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

SuprSi wrote: »
    Rory reckons that the problems he's having with his swing lately are because he's been chasing more swing speed, trying to match Bryson.

I find that ridiculous, the guy who was longest on tour the last few years (or thereabouts), chasing more speed. Whatever about speed training for those with average speeds, you wouldn't think he'd be that far behind Bryson that he'd want to go messing with his swing so much.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/golf/news/12176/12244355/rory-mcilroy-developed-swing-flaws-after-bryson-dechambeau-inspired-him-to-increase-speed-and-distance

Rory talks a good bit of sh"t. But if that is true. Fair play Bryson . Because he is winning the mental game over them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Rory talks a good bit of sh"t. But if that is true. Fair play Bryson . Because he is winning the mental game over them all.

Well over Rory anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

munster87 wrote:
    Well over Rory anyway

Nothing wrong with experimenting. Rory isn't the only one DeChambeau has given food for thought.

You can't expect him to replicate in a few weeks what DeChambeau has been developing for years. He might continue with it or decide it's not for him. Either is better than ignoring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

First Up wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with experimenting. Rory isn't the only one DeChambeau has given food for thought.

You can't expect him to replicate in a few weeks what DeChambeau has been developing for years. He might continue with it or decide it's not for him. Either is better than ignoring it.

Not sure about that. Rory has well enough in length to compete for any tournament out there.

His weaknesses are well know and where his focus is required.

Rory doesn't have time or age on his side to be looking at what Bryson is doing.

Madness.

Bryson is not exactly winning loads of majors or shooting bizarre low scores that Rory has and can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

SuprSi wrote: »

One of the reasons Rory is so well liked in golf is that he is generally honest in interviews and answers all the questions. It’s starting to become a case that he needs to stop doing all that talking. Just become a bit boring and answer so plainly.

Very strange of him to chase that extra speed though. That has never been his issue. As he said with Bryson he also has an advantage as his irons are all same length for getting out of the rough.

Rory’s biggest issue is that he doesn’t take advantage of his length. Poor distance control with his irons and his wedge play is just not good enough to win tournaments at the moment considering how many wedges he leaves himself. Although going by the stats from 100 to 125 he sits at T40 which is well ahead of the likes of DJ, Bryson and Xander.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Rory is going to win the masters

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Madness.

Curiosity more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

ForeRight wrote: »

Unlikely, he's been far more primed in other years to win it and still hasn't managed it.

• Advertisement

Unlikely, he's been far more primed in other years to win it and still hasn't managed it.

Exactly. Being primed has not worked so let’s go into it in terrible form. He should win it by 4 shots this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Exactly. Being primed has not worked so let’s go into it in terrible form. He should win it by 4 shots this year.

At least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't think it's surprising that he is reportedly chasing extra speed even though he is already one of the longest on tour with a glorious swing. He's human and DeChambeau may have gotten inside his head. Rory has become accustomed to being the big dawg on tour in terms of driving. Yes the likes of Watson, Finau and D. Johnson might have out hit him at times but there was nowhere near the hype around their driving as there is about DeChambeau. Now that DeChambeau has a major and is winning other tournaments, his game can't be dismissed as "gorilla golf".

DeChambeau has an uglier but arguably lower injury risk and more scalable swing than Rory's. Add to this the injuries and surgeries that Woods has had over the years, Rory may be subconsciously worried that something similar will happen to him while another part of his brain is telling him that he must go harder and faster.

Going to be very interesting to see what price he will be. Surely his biggest odds in years.

10 years since the back 9 meltdown too.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

boardise wrote: »
    Whatever about other issues ,the woes on the green continue
    Missed putts today of 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ,10ft . ( rounded to nearest half foot).

Wow. In terms of strokes gained/lost Rory in those 7 missed putts lost on average 4.5 strokes to the field!!! You cannot compete giving away that many shots on the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Wow. In terms of strokes gained/lost Rory in those 7 missed putts lost on average 4.5 strokes to the field!!! You cannot compete giving away that many shots on the green.

I do not know where to look up stats on players such as longest drives, most recoveries, shots gained from drives etc. However, just looking at McIlroy he has to be one of the worst putters on tour. Last week at Bay Hill I was watching Sky and Spieth was having one of those days when everything dropped. He reached his 16th hole and the commentator told us that he had made over 140' of putts so far. He forgot to mention that on one of the holes he had a hole in one, and on another he chipped in from off the green. McIlroy NEVER produces stats like that. Based on the figures you quoted he probably made about a foot of putts on those 6 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

It will surprise you so that McIlroy had better strokes gained putting than Spieth at Bay Hill last weekend. You can't trust only what the coverage shows.

Hopefully one day.

I feel his bottle is gone a little. The pressure he puts himself under to win. The pressure coming from the golfing public, media etc. He was supposed to be the new big thing after Tiger a few years back but it has sort of fizzled out.

Thats where his focus needs to be. He can play the game and hit the shots as we see when he has blown up and goes on a run to climb back up the leaderboard.

He needs his nerve back.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Based on? I hope it’s not his current form.

Based on? I hope it’s not his current form.

Have a good feeling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have a good feeling

Haha I don’t. Best of luck. What price did you get?

Haha I don’t. Best of luck. What price did you get?

I don’t gamble. It’s a mugs game that’s why you never see paddy power cycling to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I don't think it's surprising that he is reportedly chasing extra speed even though he is already one of the longest on tour with a glorious swing. He's human and DeChambeau may have gotten inside his head. Rory has become accustomed to being the big dawg on tour in terms of driving. Yes the likes of Watson, Finau and D. Johnson might have out hit him at times but there was nowhere near the hype around their driving as there is about DeChambeau. Now that DeChambeau has a major and is winning other tournaments, his game can't be dismissed as "gorilla golf".

DeChambeau has an uglier but arguably lower injury risk and more scalable swing than Rory's. Add to this the injuries and surgeries that Woods has had over the years, Rory may be subconsciously worried that something similar will happen to him while another part of his brain is telling him that he must go harder and faster.

If u don't think its surprising then it says more about how poorly you judge his mentality to be than anything else. I am absolutely flabbergasted by the suggestion that he has any focus on gaining length. It literally is the very last thing he should be spending any time thinking about or working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

If u don't think its surprising then it says more about how poorly you judge his mentality to be than anything else. I am absolutely flabbergasted by the suggestion that he has any focus on gaining length. It literally is the very last thing he should be spending any time thinking about or working on.

He literally admitted it to the cameras in his interview on Friday that he has.

Russman wrote: »
    He literally admitted it to the cameras in his interview on Friday that he has.

I'm not denying he is. Not at all. What I am saying is that if people don't find it surprising that he is, that would surprise me.

A lot of people think he talks a bit too much, talks sh1te at times. But to think that he's actually spending time on improving his length....my first reaction was that this must be a wind up. He's in a whole.different realm of stupid now for me, gone way past where he's ever been before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm not denying he is. Not at all. What I am saying is that if people don't find it surprising that he is, that would surprise me.

A lot of people think he talks a bit too much, talks sh1te at times. But to think that he's actually spending time on improving his length....my first reaction was that this must be a wind up. He's in a whole.different realm of stupid now for me, gone way past where he's ever been before.

Ahh right.
    Totally agree that him, with his level of ability, getting fixated with what Bryson did is absolute madness. It’s definitely not that part of his game that he needs to look at to see why he hasn’t added to his majors.

Russman wrote: »
    Ahh right.
    Totally agree that him, with his level of ability, getting fixated with what Bryson did is absolute madness. It’s definitely not that part of his game that he needs to look at to see why he hasn’t added to his majors.

Exactly, like talk about missing the point. Its mind blowing. I still can't actually believe it.

And taking it a step further.....with one of his issues being consistent distance control in his wedges, this preoccupation is surely more likely to make his problems worse in that department. Not to mention make a balls of his biggest strength.

The theme of not having people around him that help him make prudent choices seems to resonate with this latest focus. It's maddening.

So a change has taken place. Let’s see what happens now.

https://twitter.com/jcorrigangolf/status/1374077748868755456?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

So a change has taken place. Let’s see what happens now.

https://twitter.com/jcorrigangolf/status/1374077748868755456?s=21

I really hope this works out for him, i'm a big Rory fan and its tough to watch him play so bad with the potential he has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

etxp wrote: »
    I really hope this works out for him, i'm a big Rory fan and its tough to watch him play so bad with the potential he has.

At 31 years old and 12 years on tour, surely “potential” no longer applies, he’s not a kid anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement