Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I don't think playing everyday is physically demanding for a fit man but mentally it must be draining.

Especially when you are at the level rory is at. The mind just has to have down time from the prep and demands of medal golf at that level day after day.

Missing this cut is good for the irish open because he will be all guns blazing again next week imo. He will be raring to go

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ForeRight wrote: »
    I don't think playing everyday is physically demanding for a fit man but mentally it must be draining.

Especially when you are at the level rory is at. The mind just has to have down time from the prep and demands of medal golf at that level day after day.

Missing this cut is good for the irish open because he will be all guns blazing again next week imo. He will be raring to go

Hope so.

He plays there a good bit - , just turn up they let him out.

Will be interesting how he plays on links. Or if he has to change game.

I'd say if wind down - could be a very low score up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

"Hello Nike, it's Rory. I know you're paying me $250m but I won't be at the corporate day on Monday". I'm sure it'd be just that simple Fixde!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

But tell that to BMW - the 5 million they have put up - one of the few big guys left in Euro Tour as a big sponsor.

Im not sure where you're going with this, Are you suggesting he pulls his game and misses cuts on purpose!? Thats how im reading it, you remember he won this event last year. High profile championships are his thing, defending titles all these things that make him stand out as the best player in the world are his thing, missing cuts on purpose is not his thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Yes, I detest it.

The big bad world and all that.

But there is also a way of managing time better - the Monday was poor managment.

Your post above explains that his comercial commitments can impact on his game. I don't think anyone could disagree with that.

Not going to matter that much - but a guy who has done a real job all week is turning up Saturday and world number 1 couldn't make it. "5 weeks in a row".

"Give me a break - I'm pumping **** all week - paid 80 quid to see Rory".

We give out about Footballers - but that is taking the piss.

It's not the practice and possibly not even the other commitments. The real mental drain is winning. It sounds counter-intuitive, but the mental effort that goes into playing error free golf, leading tournaments and putting pressure on your opponents is extremely draining. You need to draw on all your reserves and leave nothing behind. It's only when you start again at another tournament and find that the reserves are gone that provides the evidence. It's like running a marathon and starting another one a week later. Everything feels good until you're a few miles in and your legs feel like lead and you can't find the energy to up your pace.

Last year he had a week break between the players and the BMW PGA and two weeks between the Masters and the Wells Fargo. This year, the matchplay was much later than last year, so he's just had a very intensive run of matches, especially considering the seven rounds he played at the matchplay. That's fifteen rounds of competitive golf in three weeks.

You just can't keep that kind of level up for that length of time. I'm not even sure he'll be in great shape for the Irish Open.

Tournament|Tour|Week|Year|Place
    BMW PGA CHAMPIONSHIP|EUR|21|2015|MC
    Wells Fargo Championship|USA|20|2015|1
    THE PLAYERS Championship|USA|19|2015|T8
    WGC-Cadillac Match Play|USA|18|2015|1
    Masters Tournament|USA|15|2015|4
    Arnold Palmer Invitational|USA|12|2015|T11
    WGC-Cadillac Championship|USA|10|2015|T9
    The Honda Classic|USA|9|2015|MC
    BMW PGA CHAMPIONSHIP|EUR|21|2014|1
    THE PLAYERS Championship|USA|19|2014|T6
    Wells Fargo Championship|USA|18|2014|T8
    MASTERS TOURNAMENT|USA|15|2014|T8
    Shell Houston Open|USA|14|2014|T7
    WGC-Cadillac Match Play|USA|10|2014|T25
    The Honda Classic|USA|9|2014|T2

As you can see, last year he played a run of two and then had a break. The calendar really hasn't suited him this year.

• Advertisement

Any Hermitage members on here.

Was rory playing there last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Oh no....... Disaster. That's probably the rest of the year gone?

https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/617994883496849408
    https://instagram.com/p/4ylZoer2LI/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Is that for real? Can't find anything about it on the Internet.

It's real!!!!

What an absolute idiot playing kick about astro holy god. That's just braindead.

abff wrote: »
    Is that for real? Can't find anything about it on the Internet.

He has literally just posted it up.. the media storm will follow in due course..

• Advertisement

It's so annoying.. I know he has to have a life outside of golf but jesus.... The Open at St Andrews now gone.

It's real!!!!

What an absolute idiot playing kick about astro holy god. That's just braindead.

Seems rather foolish alright. I wonder how long he'll be out for.

abff wrote: »
    Seems rather foolish alright. I wonder how long he'll be out for.

I can't believe it to be honest. It's downright stupidity. I'd say his sponsors are fuming.

A professional athlete cannot be playing astro games with groups of normal lads who lunge around the place.
    He may have done it by twisting himself and not a tackle but it's still idiocy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Rory played hermitage alright ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Cant call him braindead for playing football in fairness. Could of easily done as much damage in the gym or on a bicycle. Very unfortunate timing wise alright.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I can't believe it to be honest. It's downright stupidity. I'd say his sponsors are fuming.

A professional athlete cannot be playing astro games with groups of normal lads who lunge around the place.
    He may have done it by twisting himself and not a tackle but it's still idiocy imo.
    Why would they be fuming. He's going to still be all over the news for the next few weeks.

I don't think his friends would be kicking lumps off him and as jay said above could easily have happened in the gym or even running on his own.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Cant call him braindead for playing football in fairness. Could of easily done as much damage in the gym or on a bicycle. Very unfortunate timing wise alright.

Eh no he wouldn't.

A contact sport on a stupid astro surface against a load of lads barrelling around is a bit more likely for serious injury than a controlled gym session with your personal trainer.

You may as well say sure he's as likely to get hit by a bus crossing the road. If say his Managment are going mad over this. surely he has to be minding himself and his body and not putting himself in a situation whereby this is inevitable.

We've all had horrible injuries playing 5 a side over the years I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Spot on. He can't wrap himself in bubble wrap when not playing. It's unfortunate but these things happend. He's much better off playing playing 5-a-side with his friends than being holed up.

Braindead is a bit harsh, but I think there's a big difference between working out in a gym and playing a sport that requires a lot of twisting and turning. Given what's at stake for him (and his sponsors, support team, etc.), I would think what he did was a bit on the risky side.

Ok braindead is harsh I agree but it's irresponsible

Imo of course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Keano wrote: »
    I don't think his friends would be kicking lumps off him and as jay said above could easily have happened in the gym or even running on his own.

Absolute nonsense. Far more likely to get injured in a contact sport than by running or gym work. Spieth with a big smile on his face now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

neddynasty wrote: »
    Spot on. He can't wrap himself in bubble wrap when not playing. It's unfortunate but these things happend. He's much better off playing playing 5-a-side with his friends than being holed up.

Yes, but he really should try to ensure the activities he gets involved with to unwind or whatever are unlikely to leave him injured. 5 a side soccer (I used to play) is borderline tbh, there's so many injuries from this game i couldn't believe it when I played, we used have a guy badly injure themselves every 5 or 6 games or so,so that is a bit high. normally it happened when a guys foot sticks on the ground and he damages his ankle, knee, hip, etc against his own momentum.

Mind you, Its not as bad as when Paul Casey bust his collarbone &shoulder snow boarding, now that is asking for trouble..,,, and he got it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Keano wrote: »
    Why would they be fuming. He's going to still be all over the news for the next few weeks

Ya being on social media and newspapers with crutches and a Nike tshirt is just as good as him playing 4 rounds of a major on worldwide tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Not the wisest things to be playing 10 days before a major but it's not as stupid as Paul Casey who went snow boarding and wrecked his shoulder, that wasn't before a major but for a pro golfer to do such a risky activity is moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Ahh jaysus lads, idiocy is a bit OTT. It could happen to a bishop.
    Pure bad luck. If he came off his bike while out cycling you'd have people saying he shouldn't be doing that either.

Obviously we don't know the exact circumstances yet, but I can't imagine he plays "competitively", so if it was just a kick about with friends it was probably just bad luck.

Some media questioning if he will be at The Open... they should be questioning the rest of the year. Also... it's his left ankle... which for a right handed golfer takes the most abuse in terms of roll and twisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

hawkelady wrote: »
    Rory played hermitage alright ...

What??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well this should make the open interesting. And may give us more balanced tv coverage.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well this should make the open interesting. And may give us more balanced tv coverage.

The Open would have been just as interesting if not more had he been playing. Also.. he is world no. 1... he deserves to have the lion's share of coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Eh no he wouldn't.

A contact sport on a stupid astro surface against a load of lads barrelling around is a bit more likely for serious injury than a controlled gym session with your personal trainer.

You may as well say sure he's as likely to get hit by a bus crossing the road. If say his Managment are going mad over this. surely he has to be minding himself and his body and not putting himself in a situation whereby this is inevitable.

We've all had horrible injuries playing 5 a side over the years I'm sure.

So your saying that a a young man can only do something outside of his sport if it suits his management team or is safe controlled environment?? I have seen some serious injuries in the gym in my time from people running on treadmill or doing basic squats ect it don't take much.

And everyone assuming he was on astroturf he literally could of been sitting off on a chair having a beer and his mates started playing footie and he was looking on feeling left out so jumped up and joined in?? No1 knows what happened.

Give the chap a break let him enjoy his life how he likes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement