Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭newport2

Did Jordan at least get yellow carded for the tackle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

newport2 wrote: »

Nope because dustin Johnson was the ref ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

jayo26 wrote: »
    So your saying that a a young man can only do something outside of his sport if it suits his management team or is safe controlled environment?? I have seen some serious injuries in the gym in my time from people running on treadmill or doing basic squats ect it don't take much.

And everyone assuming he was on astroturf he literally could of been sitting off on a chair having a beer and his mates started playing footie and he was looking on feeling left out so jumped up and joined in?? No1 knows what happened.

Give the chap a break let him enjoy his life how he likes.

No that's not what I said at all.

If you think he's as likely to get a serious injury in the gym as he is playing 5 a side that's fine. I'm not going to argue. I strongly disagree though.

He's in the gym everyday and I'm yet to see him on crutches in a boot cast.

I know he could get injured in the gym but the likelihood is far far less and playing football he can't control what others do to him so imo he has a responsibility to limit this possibly happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Big time golfers don't get penalised. Now it the offender was a young Thai it would be different.

ForeRight wrote: »
    No that's not what I said at all.

If you think he's as likely to get a serious injury in the gym as he is playing 5 a side that's fine. I'm not going to argue. I strongly disagree though.

He's in the gym everyday and I'm yet to see him on crutches in a boot cast.

I know he could get injured in the gym but the likelihood is far far less and playing football he can't control what others do to him so imo he has a responsibility to limit this possibly happening.

I dont mean to sound like im looking for an argument or been an ass but i tink its so unfair for people to jump to conclusions about things like this without knowing full facts or circumstances.

As to chances of injuries in gym im not been funny either but have you seen tye weightlifting that rorys does in the gym he does it on a major scale like serious amount of weights this type of lifting causes regular injuries even to proffesionals that ment to know what they lift.
    Millions of people play football on a daily basis and never ever get injured i play regular with a bunch of 15 mates and we have never had an injury he could of easily rolled his ankel with no1 even near him.

• Advertisement

I dont mean to sound like im looking for an argument or been an ass but i tink its so unfair for people to jump to conclusions about things like this without knowing full facts or circumstances.

As to chances of injuries in gym im not been funny either but have you seen tye weightlifting that rorys does in the gym he does it on a major scale like serious amount of weights this type of lifting causes regular injuries even to proffesionals that ment to know what they lift.
    Millions of people play football on a daily basis and never ever get injured i play regular with a bunch of 15 mates and we have never had an injury he could of easily rolled his ankel with no1 even near him.

If Conor McGregor injured his ankle today playing football with mates the week before his fight would that be irresponsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

If Conor McGregor injured his ankle today playing football with mates the week before his fight would that be irresponsible?

Isnt Conor McGregor a wrestler? I thought those were rigged, no? :D

Isnt Conor McGregor a wrestler? I thought those were rigged, no? :D

No way. WWF is 100% real. Athletes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 djohnsongmx

I dont agree with people who say "shur it could have happened in the gym or on the exercise bike". If it happened in the gym you would say that the injury was unavoidable as the gym work is a necessary part of his preparation for playing golf. But this five-a-side wasnt preparatory work, it was just for fun, and didnt contribute anything towards his golf game.

Secondly, I cant understand how his sponsors dont have clauses against him engaging in semi-dangerous activities. Or maybe he is in breach of his contract?

Either way, it's terrible disappointing.

I guess it's up to him at the end of the day. I think if I was in his position I would avoid contact sports and the like, a bad injury could ruin his career. That said, I've never been in his position, so I can't say for sure!

It's a pity though. I hope it heals properly and doesn't become a recurring injury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

But this five-a-side wasnt preparatory work, it was just for fun, and didnt contribute anything towards his golf game.

Having fun away from golf is what he has credited in the past for performing well in big comps.

It happens all the time in ufc its a perfect example of it. Gsp fell off a bike a couple weeks before a fight a few year ago, another fighter fell off a mountain bike these things happen. A footballer last week misses pre season training after letting a wardnrobe fall on his foot, it was a freek accident he cant wrap himself up.

yipsnomore wrote: »
    Having fun away from golf is what he has credited in the past for performing well in big comps.

Why can't he just have normal fun like Tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

In before this is just pre-match hype and he makes a lazarus style recovery to play in the Open and win it

Maybe he was and he's just saying it was football. Easier than trying to explain how the swing snapped and all three fell on top of him....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

on the actual injury itself... the ligament is fairly commonly injured. When you 'roll' your ankle this is generally the ligament involved. Complete rupture would normally require surgery, especially in top class athletes.

The big problem is that ankle ligaments are not great healers, and the long term impacts may be worse that the initial disappointment on missing the open (Assuming it is confirmed. Which to me seems inevitable).

stooge wrote: »
    on the actual injury itself... the ligament is fairly commonly injured. When you 'roll' your ankle this is generally the ligament involved. Complete rupture would normally require surgery, especially in top class athletes.

The big problem is that ankle ligaments are not great healers, and the long term impacts may be worse that the initial disappointment on missing the open (Assuming it is confirmed. Which to me seems inevitable).

To me that's the biggest concern. It'll never be as strong again, is it's something that's going to crop up every once in a while now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

I dont agree with people who say "shur it could have happened in the gym or on the exercise bike". If it happened in the gym you would say that the injury was unavoidable as the gym work is a necessary part of his preparation for playing golf. But this five-a-side wasnt preparatory work, it was just for fun, and didnt contribute anything towards his golf game.

Secondly, I cant understand how his sponsors dont have clauses against him engaging in semi-dangerous activities. Or maybe he is in breach of his contract?

Is he not allowed to have fun ?
    He's a person, not a robot who's sole reason for existing is to play golf.

As regards semi dangerous activities, I hardly think 5 a side soccer would come into it, in all seriousness.

No doubt Faldo will be spouting off on TV about how stupid it was and how he'd never have done that bla, bla, but not all pros want to be a virtual hermit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

HighLine wrote: »
    It's so annoying.. I know he has to have a life outside of golf but jesus.... The Open at St Andrews now gone.

Not just saying this - but I hate to see golfers do anything else (before this) , I pulled out of a game of stag football last year as I may get injured for golf :eek::D true.

When I hear about them play tennis I even get nervous - as for skiing etc :eek:

Not even a fan of them doing impact sports - even running. Rory's job is to win a **** load of majors - he says he is retiring in 40s.

OK - now the real world, Rory wants a normal life , he is different , he wants to do the things that people his age do. There is a lot to be admired in that.

So - things like this will happen, but 1 , not during golf season. 2 not week before a big tournament , 3 never before a major.

I think we are seeing more and more, Rory likes to be his own man , do what he wants - again to be admired.

But - everyone in life needs a manager , a friend , a father. Who says -

Rory, "cop the **** on and get off that pitch".

Russman wrote: »
    Is he not allowed to have fun ?
    He's a person, not a robot who's sole reason for existing is to play golf.

As regards semi dangerous activities, I hardly think 5 a side soccer would come into it, in all seriousness.

No doubt Faldo will be spouting off on TV about how stupid it was and how he'd never have done that bla, bla, but not all pros want to be a virtual hermit.

Ahh Russman come on.

Most of us on here have played 5 aside.

You don't play it the week before.

You would not believe what top athletes do , not to get a cold prior to an event. Won't even touch a lift button.

• Advertisement

Ahh Russman come on.

You would not believe what top athletes do , not to get a cold prior to an event. Won't even touch a lift button.

Even before the match just say "OK lads, 5 grand a head for anyone who doesn't tackle me". A bargain for him at 25k, he makes more than that a shot.

It happens all the time in ufc its a perfect example of it. Gsp fell off a bike a couple weeks before a fight a few year ago, another fighter fell off a mountain bike these things happen. A footballer last week misses pre season training after letting a wardnrobe fall on his foot, it was a freek accident he cant wrap himself up.

That doesn't really address my question to be fair.

If mcgregor today announced he was out of his fight this week due to playing football last night I find it hard to believe anyone wouldn't be thinking WTF is he doing playing football.

A bike injury is normal training and unavoidable. A falling wardrobe.... Freak injury.

Playing football injuries are inevitable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Activate those glutes baby

If mcgregor today announced he was out of his fight this week due to playing football last night I find it hard to believe anyone wouldn't be thinking WTF is he doing playing football.

A bike injury is normal training and unavoidable. A falling wardrobe.... Freak injury.

Imagine even if one of the Donegal players (amateurs) went to Jim McGuinness with that the year they won AI. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Ahh Russman come on.

Yeah, but Fix, where does he draw the line ?
    Its probably something he's done thousands of times and never gotten an injury. Yes golfers are top sportsmen and the trend is towards being athletes, but its not like they're completely finely tuned specimens like sprinters or cyclists.
    Sergio is famous for being a footy fan and occasionally playing for his team. I'm sure there are others.

Rory can't wrap himself in cotton wool. As you say, we've all probably played 5 a side, I dare say we've done it the night before going to work the next day too, without a second thought. Golf is Rory's job and I'm sure he looks at it similarly (granted there's obviously a labour of love in being a pro golfer). I'd say it never entered his head that he might hurt himself or if he did it might be a pulled muscle or something.

I'd totally agree if as mentioned earlier, he was off snowboarding mid season or something like that, but a kick about with friends, meh, pure bad luck.
    I think even Davis Love and a couple of pros actually did a day or two of snowboarding last year maybe, on the Monday/Tuesday before a tournament, now thats madness !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Nope because dustin Johnson was the ref ;-)

Always seen DJ as more of a linesman.

PARlance wrote: »
    Always seen DJ as more of a linesman.

Brilliant :)

Injuries in football are not inevitable they happen yehh but not frequent to the extent of Rory's injury,
    ok fair enough if your playing a full blooded game of football where two sides are going at it you could say there is a chance but he was having a kick about with mates you wouldn't imagine they be any two footed chalenges going in he never stated it was even an organized game as I said before it could of been simply few mates hoofing the ball to each other and he rolled his ankle or twisted it badly.

Injuries in football are not inevitable they happen yehh but not frequent to the extent of Rory's injury,
    ok fair enough if your playing a full blooded game of football where two sides are going at it you could say there is a chance but he was having a kick about with mates you wouldn't imagine they be any two footed chalenges going in he never stated it was even an organized game as I said before it could of been simply few mates hoofing the ball to each other and he rolled his ankle or twisted it badly.

You haven't addrsssed my mcgregor question yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Even before the match just say "OK lads, 5 grand a head for anyone who doesn't tackle me". A bargain for him at 25k, he makes more than that a shot.

Surely Rory is worth more than Messi ?

Anyway, upshot is that Tiger will be able without any real challenge for the Open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement