Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Letree wrote: »
    Which ones came after mid may apart from the US open.

I'll give you a clue.
    1 of them is your national (assuming you're Irish) Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Which ones came after Wells Fargo on 17th May apart from the US open.

Maybe have a look at his European Tour stats rather than just his PGA ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

PARlance wrote: »
    I'll give you a clue.
    1 of them is your national (assuming you're Irish)

True that brings him up to May 31st, i was looking at PGA Tour Stats. He is still well rested though.. just not as well rested as i had thought ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

1 tournament in 8 weeks at the height of summer, that is too much time off. He is 26 not 56. He has a responsibility as No 1 to show up for the fans. Whether that is for fans to see him live or to see him on Sky etc. Its golf fans who have made him what he is today.

What the **** are you on about? The fans made him what he is? Not his own skill or talent or his own hard work or his sponsors or his trainers? Being world No1 doesn't give him any more responsibilities than any other pro golfer.

Reading some posts on this thread beggars belief! Obviously some people believe he should be locked up in a padded room and only allowed out to train and play tournaments. Sad stuff to be honest. Id hate to be his shoes today. On top of the disappointment at not being able to play he has all this vitriol and critisism being heaped upon him by people who probably couldn't achieve half of what he's achieved if they had 10 lifetimes to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Isnt it funny that this thread thats about our very own world number one only seems to get busy when people want to have a pop at him or have a moan about him, just goes to show the mentality of it people would rather moan then sit back and enjoy the talents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Ligament, schligament. Tiger won the US with a torn ligament AND a broken leg. Venturi won a US suffering dehydration and heatstroke against medical advice playing 36 holes on the last day. Baggio played the last 10 years of his career without ever being injury free. Butcher played on for England even when he didnt have a drop of blood left in him. Ali boxed with a broken jaw.

Kickabout with his mates ? Expecting him on the first on the Old Course on Thursday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

jayo26 wrote: »
    Isnt it funny that this thread thats about our very own world number one only seems to get busy when people want to have a pop at him or have a moan about him, just goes to show the mentality of it people would rather moan then sit back and enjoy the talents.

Not sure about that.

He is world number 1 , he just signed a large endorsement deal , part of this deal is to keep active in the public eye. Rory and Nike want to be talked about. Can you have it every way ?

Top level sport is partially about opinions and fans, without them, there is no major deal.

I've followed many sport over many years. Genuinely many of the dramas with Rory have been of his own making.

He initially encouraged the idea , of sharing everything online with his fans - it is a daft aspect of modern life.

But there has been a big non golf story with Rory every what , 6 months or so.

So - no, isn't funny, it is bloody annoying, Rory is creating these situations. I'd love if it was just golf.
    People asking these questions - doesn't make them dislike Rory or anything like it. Real fans/supporters of any team or individual, feel frustration , disappointment, the joys and the sadness with them.

Perhaps, not just golf is what Rory wants, but it does mean he is sacrificing part of his golf career . It is fascinating as it seems a very unusual choice for one with so much talent and so young. There is a massive curiosity in me, to what could he do if he said , ok 3 years flat out - just golf. But he is just not like that. It has almost been like he has been burnt out a few times already in his mid 20s. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Not sure about that.

He is world number 1 , he just signed a large endorsement deal , part of this deal is to keep active in the public eye. Rory and Nike want to be talked about. Can you have it every way ?

Top level sport is partially about opinions and fans, without them, there is no major deal.

I've followed many sport over many years. Genuinely many of the dramas with Rory have been of his own making.

He initially encouraged the idea , of sharing everything online with his fans - it is a daft aspect of modern life.

So - no, isn't funny, it is bloody annoying, Rory is creating these situations. I'd love if it was just golf.
    People asking these questions - doesn't make them dislike Rory or anything like it. Real fans/supporters of any team or individual, feel frustration , disappointment, the joys and the sadness with them.

Perhaps, not just golf is what Rory wants, but it does mean he is sacrificing part of his golf career . It is fascinating as it seems a very unusual choice for one with so much talent and so young. There is a massive curiosity in me, to what could he do if he said , ok 3 years flat out - just golf. But he is just not like that. It has almost been like he has been burnt out a few times already in his mid 20s. :eek:

Burnt out, probably not- bored? Maybe.

Not sure about that.

Or maybe Rory just wants to enjoy his life at the same time. I know what your saying about about dedicating himself to the sport ect but maybe he just wants to have his life outside it and no1 can say he is wrong for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Or maybe Rory just wants to enjoy his life at the same time. I know what your saying about about dedicating himself to the sport ect but maybe he just wants to have his life outside it and no1 can say he is wrong for that.

I would take that view too. Maybe he is being irresponsible, but it is his choice. But it is a great chance for Spieth to go to number 1.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    I would take that view too. Maybe he is being irresponsible, but it is his choice. But it is a great chance for Spieth to go to number 1.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I dont think it helps speith that much unless he wins nearly every tournament he enters, dont golf rankings work stupidly on average of tournaments entered or something so it could actually help someone hold onto ranking spot by not playing for a short period of time.
    I know that's probably not the best way of describing it but I know its not simply straight forward as speith playing and winning so he overtakes Rory

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not sure about that.

He's golfed since he was 4 years old(?) and has never done anything else but put all his time and focus into the game. While the rest of his peers were going the college route, a break from the norm, he was grinding away. So he has been going flat out for 20 years ;)

vienne86 wrote: »

And that is it.
    Most sports are at such a high level. If Rory "chose life" as they say in trainspotting.
    There are plenty of lads who will just pick up majors.

And Rory is so good he is still winning. But what could he do will be in my mind.

Just a major adjustment for me to see a lad at top without that mental desire.

Maybe Rory is right. But nobody should doubt it is different.

Playing 5 aside week before Open, is totally ridiculous.
    People can say all they want about mates and all that.

If they were mates they'd say. Sit this out Rory.

Keano wrote: »
    He's golfed since he was 4 years old(?) and has never done anything else but put all his time and focus into the game. While the rest of his peers were going the college route, a break from the norm, he was grinding away. So he has been going flat out for 20 years ;)

Agree a factor . Tiger did 30 before he lost plot.

It is a bizarre life. Can actually understand burn out.

you'd go nuts.
    So if Rory can do both (a bit of a normal life) fair play.
    I'm not sure you can do both sadly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Agree a factor . Tiger did 30 before he lost plot.

It is a bizarre life. Can actually understand burn out.

you'd go nuts.
    So if Rory can do both (a bit of a normal life) fair play.
    I'm not sure you can do both sadly.
    He might disagree looking at his 4 majors !

Keano wrote: »
    He might disagree looking at his 4 majors !

Could easily be more.
    That is how good he is.

Can't see him win one this year. This season gone.

Will be interesting how he recovers.

Won't underestimate an ankle injury or a forced break on a golfer at all.

He could have ended his career . That is how crazy it was.

Look at casey was it 4 years so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I think it would be different if golf was a team sport as Rory would be letting down teammates and his club. As it is its only himself and a billion dollar company(Nike) thats involved so nobody should be getting too worked up

Tugboats wrote: »
    I think it would be different if golf was a team sport as Rory would be letting down teammates and his club. As it is its only himself and a billion dollar company(Nike) thats involved so nobody should be getting too worked up

Except golf fans who think Rory can break every golf and major record.

That is another criticism I'd have of the people who criticise the critics.

Perhaps some golf fans have more ambition for Rory, than they can imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Tugboats wrote: »

So it's OK to let someone down if they're a billion dollar company?

And Rory's management company, caddy, coach, etc, don't count?

I dont know any golf fans who are invested in one player:confused: I watch golf events not caring who wins. I think most people are like that?

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    So it's OK to let someone down if they're a billion dollar company?

And Rory's management company, caddy, coach, etc, don't count?

No I said previously its not ok but its between Nike and Rory. Same with the rest of his team who Rory employs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

I'd be a Rory fan and I think he can potentially break a lot of records. But I'd rather see him have a more rounded balanced life and not break so many records than live in a Tiger like bubble tbh.

I mean, golf careers are a lot longer than most sports. Its not like footballers are done at 35 and then have 30 or 40 years to enjoy the spoils they've earned. Rory could be playing for decades yet (despite what he says). What's the point in him making all the money, having all the fame etc, if he can't actually enjoy it ?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I dont think it helps speith that much unless he wins nearly every tournament he enters, dont golf rankings work stupidly on average of tournaments entered or something so it could actually help someone hold onto ranking spot by not playing for a short period of time.
    I know that's probably not the best way of describing it but I know its not simply straight forward as speith playing and winning so he overtakes Rory

It's not as simple as a straight average of points won per tournament entered. There's an adjustment applied from 13 weeks onwards so that the number of points won in the tournament is reduced by 1/92nd each week until it disappears from the reckoning two years after the tournament was played.

The number of tournaments counting is also subject to an upper limit of 52 and a lower limit of 40. Therefore, if someone plays more than 52 tournaments over a two year period, only the most recent 52 tournaments are taken into account. And if someone has played fewer than 40 tournaments, their total adjusted points are divided by 40, no matter how few tournaments they have played.

This partly explains why Tiger Woods has fallen down the rankings so rapidly. Admittedly, his form has been terrible, but the fact that he has played only 25 tournaments whereas his total adjusted points are divided by 40 when determining his average points for world ranking purposes means that he is currently ranked 226th. If there was no minimum divisor, he would be ranked almost 100 places higher in 130th.

Rory has played 48 tournaments over the last two years and the reduction in his average world ranking points due to the application of the adjustment referred to above will be partly mitigated by a reduction in his divisor. But the fact that he will not be earning any unadjusted points while he is absent due to injury will cause his overall average to reduce, even though it might initially increase slightly in some weeks when his divisor reduces.

So it's not inevitable that Spieth will catch him in the world rankings, but his absence will make it a lot easier for Spieth to do so and he will almost certainly be caught if he has an extended absence which causes his divisor to fall much below 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Could easily be more.
    That is how good he is.

Can't see him win one this year. This season gone.

Will be interesting how he recovers.

Won't underestimate an ankle injury or a forced break on a golfer at all.

He could have ended his career . That is how crazy it was.

Look at casey was it 4 years so far.

After seeing Rory now at 26 I'm beginning to wonder is he? I'm not talking about his swing. Golf (and any sports) is more than just being the best at whatever technique is required. Having the best golf swing (which he may not even have - Oosthuizen) doesn't guarantee you anything in this sport. Plenty of players out there with polished swings beyond belief that can't make the cut. Example from the other end of the spectrum (exaggeration of course) is Spieth. You don't need a swing that makes people go 'aaaaahhh' to win. You just need to get the ball in the hole.

Rory is obviously a multi major winner calibre player. He's already proven it and there will be more to come. He's currently the best golfer in the world no doubt. But he's not quite in the Tiger league threatening slams and winning 7 out of 10 over 10+ years.

Having said that I'd say he has more between the ears than Tiger and is not quite as one-dimensional. But for an obsession like being the best golfer ever or such thing being a bit thick and one-dimensional may not be bad.

Russman wrote: »
    I'd be a Rory fan and I think he can potentially break a lot of records. But I'd rather see him have a more rounded balanced life and not break so many records than live in a Tiger like bubble tbh.

I mean, golf careers are a lot longer than most sports. Its not like footballers are done at 35 and then have 30 or 40 years to enjoy the spoils they've earned. Rory could be playing for decades yet (despite what he says). What's the point in him making all the money, having all the fame etc, if he can't actually enjoy it ?

I agree with you that Rory should have a life outside golf, not just for the sake of his mental health but also because in the long run it will probably allow him to keep playing for longer without going nuts. It must be incredibly difficult living in the kind of bubble that he has had to deal with for most of his life.

But I also think there has to be some common sense in how he chooses to unwind and playing a game of soccer with his mates shortly before a major is probably not the safest way to go about unwinding. Having said this, I think he was extremely unfortunate and I hope that his absence from the sport will be relatively short lived and that he will make a complete recovery, with no long term ankle problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Boskowski wrote: »
    After seeing Rory now at 26 I'm beginning to wonder is he? I'm not talking about his swing. Golf (and any sports) is more than just being the best at whatever technique is required. Having the best golf swing (which he may not even have - Oosthuizen) doesn't guarantee you anything in this sport. Plenty of players out there with polished swings beyond belief that can't make the cut. Example from the other end of the spectrum (exaggeration of course) is Spieth. You don't need a swing that makes people go 'aaaaahhh' to win. You just need to get the ball in the hole.

Rory is obviously a multi major winner calibre player. He's already proven it and there will be more to come. He's currently the best golfer in the world no doubt. But he's not quite in the Tiger league threatening slams and winning 7 out of 10 over 10+ years.

Having said that I'd say he has more between the ears than Tiger and is not quite as one-dimensional. But for an obsession like being the best golfer ever or such thing being a bit thick and one-dimensional may not be bad.

I agree that you don't need a good swing to win but when Rory is on form and putting well he is unstoppable. He can tear a golf course to pieces unlike any other pro. His main problem though is consistency, especially his putting stroke.

Tiger dominated in a weak enough era, the calibre of player now I think is much better. Day, speith, scott, mcilroy, watson if they had been around during tiger's glory years I'm sure would have given him more problems. Regardless of that, he won what was there to be won and his records will be hard to surpass never mind the Bear.

The biggest issue for me is not that he played football, or that he will miss the Open. It is that such a bad injury may impact his swing/confidence or long term durability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

But it's none of their business! If Rory woke up in the morning and decided that he was done with golf and that he wanted to be a sheep farmer instead it's nobodies business but his own. This mentality that he somehow owes something to the fans is totally illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Eric the Eagle

Might be a bit harsh to say Tiger dominated in a weak enough era.

It did contain Singh, Els and Mickelson who have 12 majors between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭newport2

Might be a bit harsh to say Tiger dominated in a weak enough era.

It did contain Singh, Els and Mickelson who have 12 majors between them.

It did contain Harrington, Singh, Els and Mickelson who have 15 majors between them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭valoren

Could it be that this accident is merely a twisted ankle and the brace is a precaution only?

But the Nike "suits" have had a word in Rory's ear and said they'll spin this as a potentially season ending injury and that he miraculously recovers and grimaces his way to retaining the Open. Just like Tiger in 2008. Just do it! Now that's good copy!

I've grown so cynical. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement