Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

HighLine wrote: »

Did he have many ales consumed by the time he let this "slip" occur ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Rikand wrote: »
    Did he have many ales consumed by the time he let this "slip" occur ? ;)

Think you might be on to something there...

https://twitter.com/IrishGolfDesk/status/621301422483767296

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I haven't been able to find any updates on Rory's injury. What are the chances of him being able to play in either the Bridgestone or the PGA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

abff wrote: »
    I haven't been able to find any updates on Rory's injury. What are the chances of him being able to play in either the Bridgestone or the PGA?

I would say it's still very doubtful. It's only three weeks since the injury and it will be four and a half to the Bridgestone and five and a half to the PGA.

It all depends on how quickly he has the brace off and starts rehab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The silence is deafening all right, which makes me think he is nowhere near getting back playing. I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 to the above, here's the official announcement...

AKRON, OH – Rory McIlroy and Chris Kirk have informed tournament officials that they will not be playing next week’s World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational at Firestone Country Club, August 5-9, due to injury.

“Unfortunately, I will not be defending my World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational title,” said McIlroy, who is still recovering from an ankle injury suffered in early July. “Best of luck to all the competitors, and I look forward to returning to Firestone in 2016.”

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/bridgestone-invitational/news/2015/07/29/mcilroy-kirk-miss-bridgestone-invitational.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Very hard to see him playing in the PGA now.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Very hard to see him playing in the PGA now.

On the other hand he seems to be approaching this on a tournament by tournament basis. Alternatively, we've seen no sign of him near a golf course which would be the first indication that his recovery is almost complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Beaulieu

Read on FB last evening that someone saw him at Driving range in Quinta in Portugal. Dont have any more info than that.

This photo was published in the Telegraph the day after the one tweeted above and shows a close up of the ankle support:

356758.jpg

It's an Aircast A60 ankle support used in the rehab of ankle injuries. The benefit of this kind of support is it allows the ankle to be used normally but prevents recurrence of the injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

rrpc wrote: »
    This photo was published in the Telegraph the day after the one tweeted above and shows a close up of the ankle support

It's an Aircast A60 ankle support used in the rehab of ankle injuries. The benefit of this kind of support is it allows the ankle to be used normally but prevents recurrence of the injury.

Nasty looking bruise.

D Hayes wrote: »
    Nasty looking bruise.

Yeah, looks like the residue of the bleed from the injury. That photo was taken about nine to ten days after, so there would still be residue. Must have swollen up like a balloon :eek:

An unconfirmed report that Rory is to play a practice round at Whistling Straights this Saturday..
    http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/rory-mcilroy-play-practice-round-whistling-straits-saturday-ahead-pga-championship

In the meantime... having some fun before the injury...

Hmmm. I'd be very surprised if he is back next week. And frankly I hope he isn't - I really enjoyed the coverage of St Andrews with no Rory and no Tiger at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hmmm. I'd be very surprised if he is back next week. And frankly I hope he isn't - I really enjoyed the coverage of St Andrews with no Rory and no Tiger at the weekend.

If he's going to the bother of playing a practice round then he is definitely playing next week. Not sure why you wouldn't want to see him back but each to their own I suppose.

I think on balance, I'd prefer to see Rory McIlroy playing The Open at St. Andrews rather than Nick Faldo.

But each to their own.

So according to Rory's publicist, he has not booked a practice round...

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2015/8/4/mcilroy-not-booked-for-us-pga-comeback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

pistol_75 wrote: »
    If he's going to the bother of playing a practice round then he is definitely playing next week.

I would say it's more of a fitness test/test of his injury rather than a "practice" round as such.
    I wouldn't say he's definitely playing next week up until he gets on the first tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think it is quite likely he will be playing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is that brace/support allowed on the course?

I'd imagine his trouble would be rolling onto the left foot on the downswing, that and seizing up after a day's walk.

PARlance wrote: »
    I would say it's more of a fitness test/test of his injury rather than a "practice" round as such.
    I wouldn't say he's definitely playing next week up until he gets on the first tee.

He wouldn't need to go to Whistling Straits to do a fitness test.

razorblunt wrote: »

I'd imagine his trouble would be rolling onto the left foot on the downswing, that and seizing up after a day's walk.

Yeah that is true.. I rolled my left ankle over a month ago now.. I can walk/run no problem but a full golf swing rolling over on the left foot still hurts like a mofo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He wouldn't need to go to Whistling Straits to do a fitness test.

And he would announce that he is playing if he was definitely playing

PARlance wrote: »
    And he would announce that he is playing if he was definitely playing

Apparently he's not booked for a practice round now after all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

HighLine wrote: »
    Yeah that is true.. I rolled my left ankle over a month ago now.. I can walk/run no problem but a full golf swing rolling over on the left foot still hurts like a mofo.

That's it. I rolled my ankle quite badly about 3 years ago. It took about 10 weeks for the swelling and bruising to subside, was back running after 12 or so, but even then a full golf swing was causing trouble up to 6 months afterwards.

I know he'll be getting world class care but these types of injuries have footballers out for months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Apparently he's not booked for a practice round now after all :(

So I gather .....who started that rumour????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement