Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Good win for Rory.

People seem to admire his skills even if they dislike him in general. He'll never be a PH type hero, and he is probably happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    Good win for Rory.

People seem to admire his skills even if they dislike him in general. He'll never be a PH type hero, and he is probably happy enough with that.

Have you read the PH thread on here haha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads any idea why he was playing in Auz.

Contractual I guess.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Nice for him to win . But seems a nothing tournament.

Ok he was up against a couple of the big lads.
    Lovely looking place.

But I think we all know he seems to have got back on top of things slowly over last few months.

He has got one headache out of way. But a few others still hanging around.

I like the bloke . Not easy for your life to transform so quickly as it has for him in 5 years. But as others have said here try a 9 to 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Lads any idea why he was playing in Auz.

Contractual I guess.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Nice for him to win . But seems a nothing tournament.

Ok he was up against a couple of the big lads.
    Lovely looking place.

But I think we all know he seems to have got back on top of things slowly over last few months.

He has got one headache out of way. But a few others still hanging around.

I like the bloke . Not easy for your life to transform so quickly as it has for him in 5 years. But as others have said here try a 9 to 5.

I'm sure money came into it, but then it comes into just about every tournament apart from the majors.
    I wouldn't call the Australian Open a nothing tournament. It's been around over 100 years and has some pretty big names on the trophy.

First Up wrote: »
    I'm sure money came into it, but then it comes into just about every tournament apart from the majors.
    I wouldn't call the Australian Open a nothing tournament. It's been around over 100 years and has some pretty big names on the trophy.

I know that. But you have 3 tours all chasing the same names.
    Only for Day . Scott . Rory. It would struggle to catch the imagination.

Yes it has a great history. But another European event is on this weekend.

It is the same problem in europe with tournaments of big history. Unless you have big money . The big names . Your in trouble.

Anyway poor field imo.

• Advertisement

But as others have said here try a 9 to 5.

I'll take one, beats an 8 - 6.30 :cool:

ForeRight wrote: »
    Have you read the PH thread on here haha

:D Yes, but he has some following. People support PH, they follow Rors to watch his skills.

I know that. But you have 3 tours all chasing the same names.
    Only for Day . Scott . Rory. It would struggle to catch the imagination.

Yes it has a great history. But another European event is on this weekend.

It is the same problem in europe with tournaments of big history. Unless you have big money . The big names . Your in trouble.

Anyway poor field imo.

It is summer time in the Southern Hemisphere. Hardly surprising that they are playing golf in South Africa. It wasn't a European Tour event; it was co-sanctioned and the field wasn't all that strong there either. You think McIlroy should have played there instead? What would that prove?

It is summer time in the Southern Hemisphere. Hardly surprising that they are playing golf in South Africa. It wasn't a European Tour event; it was co-sanctioned and the field wasn't all that strong there either. You think McIlroy should have played there instead? What would that prove?

Yes fair enough - I'd say he is just meeting contractual obligations. A pay day -it is a poor field - there is no real debate about that.

This is not the thread for it - but golf is a bit too spread now. Too long a season.

America and majors is only place you see top players (top 20) up against each other. This is more of a problem in golf than most other sports.

http://www.pga.org.au/scores

So he is not proving much here - just doing his obligations. That is the way much of Rory's life is going to be now - playing in poor field events because of his pay masters. Fair play to him.

But - I'm a little bit confused where golf is going - maybe it is just me. But - as you said, because big names are on a trophy - it doesn't really seem to be a determining issue. There are big names on the Irish Open trophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Just after watching some of the highlights... looked to me to be more of a case of Scott throwing it away and playing poorly rather than Rory playing great.

• Advertisement

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Just after watching some of the highlights... looked to me to be more of a case of Scott throwing it away and playing poorly rather than Rory playing great.

But in fairness - class last hole from Rory.

Yes shocker of a wedge from Scott.

Scott missed a few very makeable putts on the way in. By contrast McIlroy made nearly everything. They both played cracking golf tee to green. Scott's mistake on 18th was almost his only one all day - or all week.

Rory shot -6 in the final round.
    IMO that's playing great

It just seemed that, apart from the last, Scott's putter went cold and lost his the tournament and Rory's up and downs let him away with some poor approach shots. Regardless, a win is a win so hopefully he can start with good form next year.

Yes fair enough - I'd say he is just meeting contractual obligations. A pay day -it is a poor field - there is no real debate about that.

This is not the thread for it - but golf is a bit too spread now. Too long a season.

America and majors is only place you see top players (top 20) up against each other. This is more of a problem in golf than most other sports.

http://www.pga.org.au/scores

So he is not proving much here - just doing his obligations. That is the way much of Rory's life is going to be now - playing in poor field events because of his pay masters. Fair play to him.

But - I'm a little bit confused where golf is going - maybe it is just me. But - as you said, because big names are on a trophy - it doesn't really seem to be a determining issue. There are big names on the Irish Open trophy.

Jack Nicklaus didn't win the Irish Open six times, nor did Arnold Palmer or Gary Player lift the trophy. They travelled to Australia to compete in it when Australia was a lot harder and longer to get to. I'm happier to see McIlroy playing in a tournament with some history than the makey up events like the IMG run Nedbank or - worse - the "Tiger Challenge", although he is in that too of course.

They are professionals, which means they play for money, so its hard to think what else they should be doing on a November weekend. Personally I prefer to watch genuine pros battling to win their national title, or earn a spot at the Open, or just earn a living, than watch the "stars" go though the motions for a guaranteed cheque. Giving ranking points to either the Nedbank or the Woods charade is a nonsense.

@first up

I have to agree that it is fantastic that the top pros are supporting their home trophies - and I think it is a fantastic thing that the Irish lads do that with the Irish open. Hopefully that hangs in there - it is the last semblance of tradition in the game when it comes tournament selection.

It has become a global pro scene - that sounded great at the start - but there just seems to be too many competing forces at the top level of the game. At least we still have the 4 majors that keep it all somewhat together. After that it seems to be that the Fedex has won the battle at the top.

@first up

I have to agree that it is fantastic that the top pros are supporting their home trophies - and I think it is a fantastic thing that the Irish lads do that with the Irish open. Hopefully that hangs in there - it is the last semblance of tradition in the game when it comes tournament selection.

It has become a global pro scene - that sounded great at the start - but there just seems to be too many competing forces at the top level of the game. At least we still have the 4 majors that keep it all somewhat together. After that it seems to be that the Fedex has won the battle at the top.

The galleries in Sydney were huge and clearly knowledge, enthusiastic and fair. Contrast that with the handful that attend tournaments in the Gulf, and they weren't very big at Leopard Creek either, although I know the location is a bit remote. The
    The Oz Open was a proper tournament and I wish there were more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

"Poor field" is a bit strong, no ?
    OK it wasn't a major or WGC, but maybe a more unheard of field might be closer. I know the rankings etc are skewed towards the States and then Europe, and that's where the huge stars tend to play, but IMHO the vast majority of journeymen on the PGA Tour are no different to the vast majority of the field that played in Sydney. I'd even suggest some of the more one dimensional mid-table US players would have really struggled with the Oz conditions and green complexes.

I know I'd prefer to watch this weekend's tournament than most of the regular US Tour events (that sort of all blend into one), apart from the Majors and a few of the bigger ones.

Totally agree that Tiger's event and the Nedbank having ranking points is a total joke. Akin to the best players having a sweep and giving each other ranking points to stay ahead of the riff raff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Rory went out and shot a bogey free -6 round! He won it, end of story. Bogey on 18 was unlucky but to say that rory won cos scott threw it away is a joke. All he did was miss putts, rory had a good few up and downs and played unbelievable

Good to see how Rory does next week in California against a stellar field....

Tiger Woods
    Graeme McDowell
    Rory McIlroy
    Lee Westwood
    Ian Poulter
    Jason Dufner
    Matt Kuchar
    Hunter Mahan
    Brandt Snedeker
    Ernie Els
    Zach Johnson
    Bubba Watson
    Jim Furyk
    Steve Stricker
    Keegan Bradley
    Jason Day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Rory can't do any good with some people.
    You can only beat what is put in front of you and he shot a closing bogey free 66.
    He also was hot around the greens all week which is where he was leaking shots over the last year with sloppy wedges not going close enough so things are looking better. He also looks like he is enjoying it again.

Rory on form will be great for the game as there are a number of players who are on form at the moment (Stenson, Scott, Day and now hopefull Rory) so next week should be good

Tiger Woods
    Graeme McDowell
    Rory McIlroy
    Lee Westwood
    Ian Poulter
    Jason Dufner
    Matt Kuchar
    Hunter Mahan
    Brandt Snedeker
    Ernie Els
    Zach Johnson
    Bubba Watson
    Jim Furyk
    Steve Stricker
    Keegan Bradley
    Jason Day

Els won't be there - doing Nedbank. Dustin Johnston instead. Too much of a made for (American) TV about it for my taste.

Really wasn't trying to knock him, I'm delighted he is back in the winners circle. I just think had Adam's putter not gone cold, it would have been a different story. Also, a good few great up and down's saved Rory's card. Next week indeed should be good.

Els won't be there - doing Nedbank. Dustin Johnston instead. Too much of a made for (American) TV about it for my taste.

Best players on the planet all going against each other so I'm not worried if it's set up for American tv I for one will enjoy the play and hopefully Rory can hang around the top of the leaderboard.

Best players on the planet all going against each other so I'm not worried if it's set up for American tv I for one will enjoy the play and hopefully Rory can hang around the top of the leaderboard.

I'll watch it. I just won't read too much into it. They will all be trying but it is still a jolly.

I'll watch it. I just won't read too much into it. They will all be trying but it is still a jolly.

I'm not saying it's a major I'm just saying it will be interesting to see how Rory fares against the big boys in mass after a recent return to form.

Nothing more than that.

I'm not saying it's a major I'm just saying it will be interesting to see how Rory fares against the big boys in mass after a recent return to form.

Nothing more than that.

Fair enough. I'll be doing the same - with GMac in mind as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

It just seemed that, apart from the last, Scott's putter went cold and lost his the tournament and Rory's up and downs let him away with some poor approach shots. Regardless, a win is a win so hopefully he can start with good form next year.

Scott holed everything he looked at in the first three days and Rory missed a pile of short putts. So swings and roundabouts really. Rory also missed a good few chances on the back 9 as well.

I do think that Scott was feeling the effects of playing 4 weeks on the trot in the last few holes, just didn't seem to be reading the putts anywhere near as well as he has been, probably mental fatigue more than anything else.

A promising sign for McIlroy is that his driving seems to be back to near its best. Apart from a couple of loose ones he was absolutely crushing the ball off the tee, comfortably outdrove Scott on most holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Just watching the highlights there and it didn't look to me like it was a case of Scott giving it to McIlroy. That finish by McIlroy was pure class (mentally as well).
    Great to see his confidence returning.
    He won that tournament well (against the world number two).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Tiger Woods
    Graeme McDowell
    Rory McIlroy
    Lee Westwood
    Ian Poulter
    Jason Dufner
    Matt Kuchar
    Hunter Mahan
    Brandt Snedeker
    Ernie Els
    Zach Johnson
    Bubba Watson