Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Hmmmkayy.

Just my opinion:)

More power to him if he does. I would prefer to see Speith or even Mickelson win. Frowned upon on here to not support the Irish contingent but would prefer to see someone else win it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Domo1982 wrote: »

More power to him if he does. I would prefer to see Speith or even Mickelson win. Frowned upon on here to not support the Irish contingent but would prefer to see someone else win it

Your opinion in my opinion is a bit mental and hard to understand.

just say you dont like mcilroy for some reason its easier.

In what way exactly would mcilroy winning the masters be bad for golf?

Your opinion in my opinion is a bit mental and hard to understand.

just say you dont like mcilroy for some reason its easier.

In what way exactly would mcilroy winning the masters be bad for golf?

McIlroy completing the career grand slam would be huge for Golf. Whether somebody likes him or not is another story altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Rory winning would be about the worse thing that could happen to golf at the moment.

Why?

I would think quite the opposite.
    Rory Slam, big for the game.
    Just having changed his putting routine, big for the game and proof that even those at the top level can improve all the time.

Rory is a big household name, so if he wins, people who don't have golf on their radar will hear it. If Troy Merritt wins, they probably won't even register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Edit: Wrong thread

• Advertisement

Rory winning would be about the worse thing that could happen to golf at the moment.

Ah now that is saying 2 totally different things.

to say it would be bad for the game just doesn't make sense. to say you would prefer if someone else wins is fine, and is your own valid opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

For Gods sake what a ridiculous statement. You dont want him to win fair enough just say that. Instead you come out with that!! Jeez

So now please elaborate? Instead of hiding behind "not being allowed support non Irish". Lets hear a reasoned argument as to why it could be the worst thing that could happen golf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's the Masters lads, you get posters coming down from the trees who don't darken the place any other time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭valoren

Exactly wrote: »
    McIlroy completing the career grand slam would be huge for Golf. Whether somebody likes him or not is another story altogether.

He would become the greatest sports star from Ireland if he completes the career slam. He already is, arguably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

valoren wrote: »
    He would become the greatest sports star from Ireland if he completes the career slam. He already is, arguably.

He's the greatest individual sports star we'e seen from Ireland. There's a few from team events that would still be in with a shout imo. O'Driscoll and Keane are two that spring to mind.

• Advertisement

Exactly wrote: »

That's the problem - It will be all about Rory if he wins. He will be shoved down everyone's throat for the next year when the game has never been in better shape with regards talent at the top of the game. The game will suffer in my opinion if this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

That's the problem - It will be all about Rory if he wins. He will be shoved down everyone's throat for the next year when the game has never been in better shape with regards talent at the top of the game. The game will suffer in my opinion if this happens

How will the game suffer though, you say there has never been more talent around..how will this change?

I really dont get your points at all to be honest and frankly the more exposure mcilroy gets the better it is for golf and in particular irish golf.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Why?

I would think quite the opposite.
    Rory Slam, big for the game.
    Just having changed his putting routine, big for the game and proof that even those at the top level can improve all the time.

Rory is a big household name, so if he wins, people who don't have golf on their radar will hear it. If Troy Merritt wins, they probably won't even register it.

The Rory Slam - see its starting already:). No thanks Seve. The game is in great shape and so exciting to have all these brilliant young golfers in contention to win and they all deserve equal attention and not to have Rory catapulted to mega stardom at the expense of other equally talented guys

yipsnomore wrote: »
    For Gods sake what a ridiculous statement. You dont want him to win fair enough just say that. Instead you come out with that!! Jeez

So now please elaborate? Instead of hiding behind "not being allowed support non Irish". Lets hear a reasoned argument as to why it could be the worst thing that could happen golf.

No at all - I like Rory actually. Just have the bigger picture in mind.

He already gets too much exposure and preferential treatment if you ask me.

Especially for a guy who does not seem at committed to the sport as some of the others current and past.

The Rory Slam - see its starting already:). No thanks Seve. The game is in great shape and so exciting to have all these brilliant young golfers in contention to win and they all deserve equal attention and not to have Rory catapulted to mega stardom at the expense of other equally talented guys

He's not getting more attention than them though. At least not outside of Ireland. We're in a bit of a bubble here and naturally (and rightly) an Irish golfer getting the slam would be the biggest sports news all year but if you watch any American coverage of the golf it's more about Speith than anyone else the past year and Day has been getting as much attention as Rory too.

whooaaa

Rory is a mega star. has been for years. he has earned every bit of it.

it absolutely is not at the expense of other equally talented guys

other equally talented guys, well there is only a few who actually are as equally talented, and they are mega stars in their own rights

no matter who wins this, they will get massive exposure in the world headlines, not just if it is Rory

Jayop wrote: »
    He's the greatest individual sports star we'e seen from Ireland. There's a few from team events that would still be in with a shout imo. O'Driscoll and Keane are two that spring to mind.

This is simply not true. and what does greatest individual sports star even mean anyway. BOD was one of the greatest ever in the history of the game.

Rory is no where near that but may get there in time. Its debatable that he's the best of his own peer group

How about Katie Taylor?

valoren wrote: »

He simply is not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Rory has been in the mega stardom bracket a long time now hence the big Nike deal ;)

No at all - I like Rory actually. Just have the bigger picture in mind.

He already gets too much exposure and preferential treatment if you ask me.

Especially for a guy who does not seem at committed to the sport as some of the others current and past.

Like I said, he's getting more coverage in Ireland but not so much elsewhere. Out of the players currently playing he has the second most majors and has got more recently than Phil.

If he wins he'll be only the 6th player ever to win the slam. The second from outside of America and the first from Europe. If you don't see that as deserving of coverage them I'm at a loss.

• Advertisement

How will the game suffer though, you say there has never been more talent around..how will this change?

I really dont get your points at all to be honest and frankly the more exposure mcilroy gets the better it is for golf and in particular irish golf.

Who cares about Irish golf in the bigger global sense? Genuinely - how will Rory winning be better for you?

This is simply not true. and what does greatest individual sports star even mean anyway. BOD was one of the greatest ever in the history of the game.

Rory is no where near that but may get there in time. Its debatable that he's the best of his own peer group

How about Katie Taylor?

Individual as in an individual sport as opposed to a team sport.

If Rory wins the slam he'll be one of the greatest to play the game. He's already the most talented from the current crop of players although there's two guys who are pushing him very close.

There's no comparison between professional men's golf and amateur woman's boxing. Taylor is amazing, I'm a massive fan of hers and her achievements but to be fair there's a limited enough participation in her sport whereas golf is one of the most played sports worldwide.

Who cares about Irish golf in the bigger global sense? Genuinely - how will Rory winning be better for you?

in that regard how will any of the others winning be better for you?

Like I said, he's getting more coverage in Ireland but not so much elsewhere.

Again this in not correct - Sure he's one of Sky's chosen few along with the likes of Lewis Hamilton,Amir Khan/Anthony Joshua and Jessica Ennis. That will go into overdrive if he wins. I dont think that's a good thing.

I also think he may back away from the game if he wins this. I of course don't want that either - It would be a shame

in that regard how will any of the others winning be better for you?

I didnt make that statement Seve.

As a grown man I don't rely on sports stars to make or break my day

Quite simply Rory winning would be better for Golf because as it stands we are getting into an era where we may have three of the most talented golfers of all time going to battle at every major. The big 3 of Speith, Day and McIlroy have won 5 of the last 8 Majors between them and that competition is exactly what we all want to see. Even if I was neutral (which I'm not) I'd prefer Rory to win this one because of the Slam, but also because he hasn't won one in the last 6 so if we're to truly see that competition as fiercely as we want then him winning is ideal.

The last golden era in Golf was when Palmer, Player and Nicklaus were going at it at every major. We are potentially seeing a return to that now. I'd much prefer a situation where we have 3 players dominate and compete rather than 1 winning everything (Tigers era) or the other forgettable major winning players who win one from nowhere and disappear.

I didnt make that statement Seve.

As a grown man I don't rely on sports stars to make or break my day

but you asked the question, how will Rory winning be better for you?

you are saying Rory winning will be bad for the game.

So I am asking, how will anybody else, (pick whoever you like) winning be better for you.

And how will their win be good for the game?

Again this in not correct - Sure he's one of Sky's chosen few along with the likes of Lewis Hamilton,Amir Khan/Anthony Joshua and Jessica Ennis. That will go into overdrive if he wins. I dont think that's a good thing.

I also think he may back away from the game if he wins this. I of course don't want that either - It would be a shame

OK, Ireland and the UK which is fair enough given where he's from. Naturally Sky will big up someone from a market that they serve over someone from the US.

So you don't want him to win but you don't want him to leave the game??? Very strange.

If McIlroy wins he'll simply target the next thing which will be equalling and hopefully bettering Faldo's record of majors.

Individual as in an individual sport as opposed to a team sport.

If Rory wins the slam he'll be one of the greatest to play the game. He's already the most talented from the current crop of players although there's two guys who are pushing him very close.

There's no comparison between professional men's golf and amateur woman's boxing. Taylor is amazing, I'm a massive fan of hers and her achievements but to be fair there's a limited enough participation in her sport whereas golf is one of the most played sports worldwide.

I disagree - You obviously have a closed opinion and blinkered view when it comes to Rory. Thats fine.

I feel that Katie Taylor has done more for her sport than Rory ever has for the game of golf. I find that more admirable in the most fundamental human way

To me Speith is very obviously the more talented of the two players but I'm not really going to get any traction on that one on a closed minded Irish golf forum i'm afraid

• Advertisement

but you asked the question, how will Rory winning be better for you?

you are saying Rory winning will be bad for the game. YES

So I am asking, how will anybody else, (pick whoever you like) winning be better for you. I don't care who wins - Makes no difference to me

And how will their win be good for the game?
    i never said it would - I simply said that Rors winning would not be good for the game

I've answered this above Seve in earlier posts you should read them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement