Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Domo1982 wrote: »
    I disagree - You obviously have a closed opinion and blinkered view when it comes to Rory. Thats fine.

I feel that Katie Taylor has done more for her sport than Rory ever has for the game of golf. I find that more admirable in the most fundamental human way

To me Speith is very obviously the more talented of the two players but I'm not really going to get any traction on that one on a closed minded Irish golf forum i'm afraid

What a terribly dismissive attitude of anyone who doesn't agree with you, and then you're the one who is accusing others of being closed minded.

How is what I said about Rory wrong? Will being one of only 6 players to ever achieve a Slam not make him one of the greatest to have played the game? Baring in mind that it will also put him into the top 14 ever major winners with most of his career still infront of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The whole slam thing is boring enough, much more interested to see will he get to double figure major wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I feel that Katie Taylor has done more for her sport than Rory ever has for the game of golf.

I would totally agree with you that Katie Taylor has done more for her sport, Women's Amateur Boxing, in Ireland than Rory has done for golf. In fairness, before Katie was on the scene, most of the country probably had no idea Women's boxing even existed!

Whether or not she has done more for Women's Boxing on a world stage........ I would be skeptical about that one. I mean, we all know who she is, but mention her name in most other countries and I would be surprised if she is anywhere near as well known as Rory is.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Jayop wrote: »
    So you don't want him to win but you don't want him to leave the game??? Very strange.

Its not strange really. I enjoy and like Rory. If he wins I feel that the world will go into Rory overdrive at the expense of the overall game and other as talented player. Maybe similar to Tiger days - Of course Rory is about 5 levels down form Tiger at his peak:eek: but you get the levels of hysteria we'll be faced with.

The way the game is now at the moment with Speith,Day and Rors duking it out is brilliant and so exciting and I want that to continue

There a reason we had the big 3 back in the day - One was not catapulted in to the limelight on his own.

Speak Now wrote: »
    The whole slam thing is boring enough, much more interested to see will he get to double figure major wins.

If he can get to 10 he'll be behind Hagen, Woods and Nicklaus alone.

Getting to 10 with the field as strong as it is now will be some ask though.

• Advertisement

I also think he may back away from the game if he wins this.

Another stupid comment

What a terribly dismissive attitude of anyone who doesn't agree with you, and then you're the one who is accusing others of being closed minded.

How is what I said about Rory wrong? Will being one of only 6 players to ever achieve a Slam not make him one of the greatest to have played the game? Baring in mind that it will also put him into the top 14 ever major winners with most of his career still infront of him.

What a terribly dismissive attitude of anyone who doesn't agree with you

Big Yahoo - The top 14 ever major winners!! Just what he dreamed about all those years ago hitting balls into the washing machine. Come on

Its not strange really. I enjoy and like Rory. If he wins I feel that the world will go into Rory overdrive at the expense of the overall game and other as talented player. Maybe similar to Tiger days - Of course Rory is about 5 levels down form Tiger at his peak:eek: but you get the levels of hysteria we'll be faced with.

The way the game is now at the moment with Speith,Day and Rors duking it out is brilliant and so exciting and I want that to continue

There a reason we had the big 3 back in the day - One was not catapulted in to the limelight on his own.

That post literally makes no sense when you don't want Rory to win the odd one. Three guys duking it out with only two of them winning isn't much good.

As for your last paragraph it's complete nonsense. If you don;t think Nicklaus was in a league of his own in terms of attention and spotlight then you're in cuckoo land.

What a terribly dismissive attitude of anyone who doesn't agree with you

Big Yahoo - The top 14 ever major winners!! Just what he dreamed about all those years ago hitting balls into the washing machine. Come on

I'm not dismissing you're opinion though. I'm disagreeing and discussing. You're the one who dismissed our opinions.

Also, selectively answering part of a question is pretty pathetic. You ignored the part about being one of only 6 GS winners and him still having most of his career in front of him.

At one point Woods had no slams. at one point he was in the top 14. You have to win them one at a time. :rolleyes:

As for your last paragraph it's complete nonsense. If you don;t think Nicklaus was in a league of his own in terms of attention and spotlight then you're in cuckoo land.

Arragh sure Nicklaus wasn't really that good. He kept coming second in the majors, something like 19 second places and another 9 in third with another 10 finishes in the top 5. If he was any good, he would have closed a few of them out :eek: :D:p

• Advertisement

Speak Now wrote: »

I doubt it very much at this stage. he's not interested enough

I'm not dismissing you're opinion though. I'm disagreeing and discussing. You're the one who dismissed our opinions.

Also, selectively answering part of a question is pretty pathetic. You ignored the part about being one of only 6 GS winners and him still having most of his career in front of him.

At one point Woods had no slams. at one point he was in the top 14. You have to win them one at a time. :rolleyes:

In a lot of ways Rory has been a let down overall - I certainly expected him to come closer to Jacks record.

I doubt it very much at this stage. he's not interested enough

you actually may have a slight argument there. his interest does appear to have waivered slightly and we all know he has enjoyed his life outside golf, but the lad trains and prepares for this like like nobody else, so while he enjoys the rest of his life, he is most certainly focused on golf as his no 1 priority

In a lot of ways Rory has been a let down overall - I certainly expected him to come closer to Jacks record.

Before people go bat**** mental at me - So has Tiger of course.

But Tiger changed the world. Rory has not quite had that impact or influence

At 26 Jack had won 6 majors.
    At 26 Rory has won 4 majors.

He's miles behind for sure.

OK. Now you are just Trolling

Domo, you seem incapable of grasping the simple fact that Rory is only 26 . You're comparing him to people who have finished their career rather than comparing them to people at the same stage in their career.

Jack won his last major at 46. That Gives Rory 20 years and 80 more tournaments to try to get somewhere closer to his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,904 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I find it strange that you say you like Mcllroy but that you want him to lose.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Domo, you seem incapable of grasping the simple fact that Rory is only 26 . You're comparing him to people who have finished their career rather than comparing them to people at the same stage in their career.

Jack won his last major at 46. That Gives Rory 20 years and 80 more tournaments to try to get somewhere closer to his record.

Sure now you're just playing with figures. Its all pie in the sky.

People apart from me have said he'll be lucky to get to 10 Majors.

If that's the case it'll be a let down - Surely even you will agree with this?

Sure now you're just playing with figures. Its all pie in the sky.

People apart from me have said he'll be lucky to get to 10 Majors.

If that's the case it'll be a let down - Surely even you will agree with this?

:pac:

Ah you're only trolling now. I wasn't playing with figures I was being honest about the facts of where he is now in relation to where the player you compared him to was at the same point in his career.

10 majors and the 4th best of all time is a let down, 3rd of the modern era. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    OK. Now you are just Trolling

I beg your pardon but I'm not. And I would appreciate if you took that comment back

At this stage Rory will not come close to Jacks record. Others on here have touched on this. I certainly expected him to have more of a shot at getting close. Same way as Tiger was a let down - unfulfilled potential ...what ever you want to call it

:pac:

Ah you're only trolling now. I wasn't playing with figures I was being honest about the facts of where he is now in relation to where the player you compared him to was at the same point in his career.

10 majors and the 4th best of all time is a let down, 3rd of the modern era. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Compared to what he could have had. He wont even win 10. he's not even the best of his peer group and he's got outside interests that are taking his attention.

100 Years from now he'll be mainly remembered for the washing machine you tube clip and as a lad who won a few majors.

I'll leave you to it.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I find it strange that you say you like Mcllroy but that you want him to lose.

Just don't want him to win really - different think. if he wins fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

This thread should be about McIlroys golf swing and game.
    Instead 90% of it is just dross.
    For God sake moderate it!

yipsnomore wrote: »
    This thread should be about McIlroys golf swing and game.
    Instead 90% of it is just dross.
    For God sake moderate it!

I think comparisons to other golfers past and present, talk about form, predictions of future success or failure is all fair game so long as it's done honestly/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Leave the modding to us. Either get back on topic or you don't make the cut for the weekend

He will be lucky to get to 10 majors. Anyone would. It is a bloody difficult feat to win just the 1. There is serious competition there now. A few years ago, one might have said he had a free run at it when there quite clearly was not as much stiff competition in his way.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if you really understand this game :rolleyes:

Keano wrote: »
    don't make the cut for the weekend

Haha, I see what you did there.....very good

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    He will be lucky to get to 10 majors. Anyone would. It is a bloody difficult feat to win just the 1. There is serious competition there now. A few years ago, one might have said he had a free run at it when there quite clearly was not as much stiff competition in his way.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if you really understand this game :rolleyes:

Ahh jesus wept sure that's all I was saying earlier and I got burned at the stake(OB).

I'm actually beginning to wonder if you're really the troll and not me Seve;)(Joke - Keano,just a joke)

Go Rors!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement