Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Day & Spieth looking a level above Rory today so far. If he can stay within four of the lead it will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

yipsnomore wrote: »
    Day & Spieth looking a level above Rory today so far. If he can stay within four of the lead it will be good.
    :D

Well you've successfully put the mockers on Jason Day. We'll know tomorrow what you've done to Jordan Spieth...

Well you've successfully put the mockers on Jason Day. We'll know tomorrow what you've done to Jordan Spieth...

Hopefully😊 still I said 4 back!

Just needs to hang in there till the last 6 holes and try to get some back.

All depends on what spieth does!!!!!!!!!!

Are u trying to mod me high horse

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Everybody calm down.

Hopefully😊 still I said 4 back!
    Well done yipsnomore! :D

You got both of them in one post. I don't think that's been done before :eek:

Well done yipsnomore! :D

You got both of them in one post. I don't think that's been done before :eek:

Now we have an interesting weekend! Didn't like the thought of another procession :D

Now we have an interesting weekend! Didn't like the thought of another procession :D
    I had a feeling it wouldn't be. Spieth didn't have the advantage this year of being able to post two big scores in quick succession and force the field to chase. Yesterday he had to do a bit of chasing himself and it didn't work out. Being put on the clock clearly rattled him as well.

Well I had to stop watching Rory that after 11. No matter what happens in the final round he has been the most frustrating golfer to follow of all time! Forgive the following long self indulgent rant!

Who knows what is going on in the background with his coach/advisers etc but it doesn't seem credible that he has sat down and analysed his stats properly for the past 6 months. He seems to be the Arsenal of golf right now. :D Ignoring the problems!

If driving the ball pretty decently and being wiped off the course by a guy who was coming out of nearly every tee shot and pushing the ball right all day doesn't wake you from your daydream I'm not sure what will. Add that to out ball striking Jason Day two weeks ago and still losing!

1. His main problem and one he never seems to mention or address. Shocking short iron play! Case in point yesterday. 5th, from 175yds and 30 yards ahead of Spieth. He cant get it within Spieth or 50ft of the hole. 7th from 98 yards after glorious drive - Bogey while your opponent is in trouble.
    9th from 110yards cant get the ball within 30ft. From similar position on the 9th Day hit it to 4ft! This is not ability, its technical or not enough practice.

2. Decision making on 3 trying to hit that small area of green from the bunker. Fat of the green and two putt!!!!! At his press conference on Wed he said his only change of tactic will be to not take on the green in two on the 8th. Why did you bring the bunkers into play with your driver then! Meanwhile Spieth to 5ft with his 3rd!

Please dont go to the gym Rory, go to 100yards and stay there until you hit them as well as your driver!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Well I had to stop watching Rory that after 11. No matter what happens in the final round he has been the most frustrating golfer to follow of all time! Forgive the following long self indulgent rant!

Who knows what is going on in the background with his coach/advisers etc but it doesn't seem credible that he has sat down and analysed his stats properly for the past 6 months. He seems to be the Arsenal of golf right now. :D Ignoring the problems!

If driving the ball pretty decently and being wiped off the course by a guy who was coming out of nearly every tee shot and pushing the ball right all day doesn't wake you from your daydream I'm not sure what will. Add that to out ball striking Jason Day two weeks ago and still losing!

1. His main problem and one he never seems to mention or address. Shocking short iron play! Case in point yesterday. 5th, from 175yds and 30 yards ahead of Spieth. He cant get it within Spieth or 50ft of the hole. 7th from 98 yards after glorious drive - Bogey while your opponent is in trouble.
    9th from 110yards cant get the ball within 30ft. From similar position on the 9th Day hit it to 4ft! This is not ability, its technical or not enough practice.

2. Decision making on 3 trying to hit that small area of green from the bunker. Fat of the green and two putt!!!!! At his press conference on Wed he said his only change of tactic will be to not take on the green in two on the 8th. Why did you bring the bunkers into play with your driver then! Meanwhile Spieth to 5ft with his 3rd!

Please dont go to the gym Rory, go to 100yards and stay there until you hit them as well as your driver!!!!!

Dŕiving the ball decently? Bunker off tee on 2, 3 and 8. Wild trees on 10 and 11, missed green on 4. It was off the tee that killed him yesterday. 2 3 and 8 should be 3 woods for him, i think part of it for him is machissimo. Anyhow, he'll never be ss good a putter as Spieth, and his short irons are poor, but its off the tee that caused him issues to 11 yesterday

Dŕiving the ball decently? Bunker off tee on 2, 3 and 8. Wild trees on 10 and 11, missed green on 4. It was off the tee that killed him yesterday. 2 3 and 8 should be 3 woods for him, i think part of it for him is machissimo. Anyhow, he'll never be ss good a putter as Spieth, and his short irons are poor, but its off the tee that caused him issues to 11 yesterday

You are missing the point completely!! If he was as good a wedge player as spieth or day he would have outscored spieth despite not driving it great!

When he drives it very well as he has been this year in genera, he should be blowing the field away.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

You are missing the point completely!! If he was as good a wedge player as spieth or day he would have outscored spieth despite not driving it great!

When he drives it very well as he has been this year in genera, he should be blowing the field away.

On occasions he's hitting a nine irons 180 yards plus. I think he has so much power now that he struggles to get the direction and distance right when he's using short irons and wedges. He's losing control trying to hit shots fractional distances. Throw windy conditions into the mix and he's under pressure.

I also thought the 2nd shot on 11 was an awful choice. With water on the left and hitting a hook, he should have left himself further back and not bring the water into play.

5 shots isn't a lot in Augusta and I'll be supporting him but my head is saying he doesn't have the control to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,458 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watching Rory last night, I was just thinking that he loses his head easily when things aren't going right for him.

The mental side of golf is a big thing, and if he could forget about the last drive or bad shot he'd be a much better player, but he appears to let it affect him more than others.

Compare that to Speith yesterday. He started off shaky enough but seems to get his act together and steady the ship.

What Rory needs today is a great couple of early shots, get his confidence back up and then you just never know, he might get a head of steam up and make a charge.

Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Yes agree with everything above. He didn't have his bounce in his step the last couple of months, he has only had it for one round here or there. His emotions need to change, like Dufner or Kucher

searay wrote: »
    On occasions he's hitting a nine irons 180 yards plus. I think he has so much power now that he struggles to get the direction and distance right when he's using short irons and wedges. He's losing control trying to hit shots fractional distances.t.

Exactly!!!! It is a technical issue! And one I'm shocked he hasn't dealt with. Spieth hits this ugly chicken wing gouge from 100yds and it is ridiculously effective.

On a full swing with woods and long irons you can see how his hips are outracing his hands/arms. BUT they catch up at the last minute because he is swinging full out. His swing isn't syncing up as well with the shorter club's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

People on here so to get very upset over Rory and his game.

He is what he is. Don't see the issue. When he clicks he's unbeatable. He's not consistent, never has been and I do t think ever will be. That's his nature.
    He's not going to be tiger like. He's not going to be like spieth putting.

I'd go as far as saying even when Rory plays well more often than not he will win. Doesn't even need his best stuff.

He has been horrific at times this weekend and is still in with a shout.

Has no chance of winning though let's call a spade a shovel.

ForeRight wrote: »
    People on here so to get very upset over Rory and his game.

He is what he is. Don't see the issue. When he clicks he's unbeatable.

Has no chance of winning though let's call a spade a shovel.

Again missing the point! I don't care if he loses cos he's swashbuckling or being aggressive. When he is losing cos he hits wedges like me a 7 handicapper then I get pissed. And yes he has no chance until he can hit a 100 yd shot 100yds and straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Speak Now

McIlroy has always been a wee bit streaky, people over react whatever he does. He plays poor we get high handicapp golfers pointing out his errors and the week it all comes together he's supposedly better than Tiger at his peak.

5 shots will be hard to pull back today, if conditions were there for him to shoot 65 you'd imagine those up top will be breaking 70 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Again missing the point! I don't care if he loses cos he's swashbuckling or being aggressive. When he is losing cos he hits wedges like me a 7 handicapper then I get pissed. And yes he has no chance until he can hit a 100 yd shot 100yds and straight.

Why do you get pissed off out of interest?

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    Why do you get pissed off out of interest?

Ha ha I don't know! Do you have the number of a good shrink?

If my Auntie had balls etc....

It's a perspective thing. I think you are missing the point conpletely. We all know he has issues with short irons, the fact this was poor yesterday is no surprise. His supposed strength let him down yesterday. He's supposed to be great with driver but it caused all his issues. That's the point. Had he driven as he usually does, and wedgedwedged as usual, he would have been maybe 5 shots better. His driving was horrible, his short irons were as expected, for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,458 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I couldn't really care if Rory wins every major from now til he retires, or if he never wins another.

I was just making a comment that he seems to lose the head too easily, and in modern top level sport, that can't happen. Why do you think SP many athletes, sports people and teams employ physcologists ?

I get the point that he is a natural talent, like Alex Higgins maybe? If so, and he doesn't try to get his mental strength improved, then he will continue to sway from genius to just good.

I don't even play the game, so don't even have the high handicap!

It's a perspective thing. I think you are missing the point conpletely. We all know he has issues with short irons, the fact this was poor yesterday is no surprise. His supposed strength let him down yesterday. He's supposed to be great with driver but it caused all his issues. That's the point. Had he driven as he usually does, and wedgedwedged as usual, he would have been maybe 5 shots better. His driving was horrible, his short irons were the same, for him.

Ah perspective! As Jung said “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”

I'll accept I could be wrong and be cheering for him anyway. It will be legendary or forgettable!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

People are talking about technical points in his game.

But at least 3/4 shots were actual choices and poor course management.

even 2 shots would have totally changed the set up today.

I know people hate when jp is mentioned - and Rory likes to do his own thing , but the two of them could have managed the situation way better.

I know people hate when jp is mentioned - and Rory likes to do his own thing , but the two of them could have managed the situation way better.

11 was bad alright

11 was bad alright

Yeah. And driver off 2, 3, and 8 too. Bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Said last night when I saw his shot at 11, would it be better for Rory to have a stronger caddie? As in someone who can talk to him re course managment etc.
    This is not a slight on JP by the way, but from looking at them on TV it looks like JP is carrying the bag around the course, he never intervenes in any shot making decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Said last night when I saw his shot at 11, would it be better for Rory to have a stronger caddie? As in someone who can talk to him re course managment etc.
    This is not a slight on JP by the way, but from looking at them on TV it looks like JP is carrying the bag around the course, he never intervenes in any shot making decisions.

I don't go along with this fully.

I think it is a personality thing with Rory. Having a caddy like what Spieth does with his, would not go well for some people. It would actualy do your head in, even watching Spieth would do a pros head in.

With a short back swing that he had in pines (rory on 11) , even us hackers know this could run out like **** or pull - this is down hill, there is water there.
    knock out a wedge and a putt. In the end Spieth had a 6 anyway , so rory was chasing nothing.

Anyway , water under the bridge - hopefully he gets 2 or 3 birds in first 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Time for a new caddy me thinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement