Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Jawgap wrote: »
    His aggressive play certainly makes him much better 'box office' than Spieth and a few others - who are like Ice Man to his Maverick!

But, perhaps the best approach would be to make sure you're in contention coming into the last round, then give it the beans!!!!
    Well apparently he didn't actually play aggresively on Saturday.
    Any momentum I had was kind of killed on Saturday. I didn't play well at all. I didn't play my game which is being aggressive and attacking.

I played tentatively, but that's what this place can do to you. It was a tough weekend and I can't say anything other than that really. It's just disappointing,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

For someone who drives it as well as he does and as far his iron play is just not good enough in the last year. hes never really gets close to the pin and as hes not a great putter it doesnt help. i think improving his iron play would help him win even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

sky88 wrote: »
    For someone who drives it as well as he does and as far his iron play is just not good enough in the last year. hes never really gets close to the pin and as hes not a great putter it doesnt help. i think improving his iron play would help him win even more.
    To be fair, his iron play has improved this year from where it was last year. He still misses the odd green or leaves himself a whopper putt, but generally he's getting it closer. The greens in Augusta are quite small and made even smaller by having target areas around the flag that if you miss, you're in a world of hurt. A couple of yards out and you're facing an uphill struggle.

His first two days play in tough winds and drying conditions were excellent. To be a shot behind a great putter like Spieth after 36 holes in those conditions has to be a testament to the improvement in his game. That he let the occasion get to him and played tentatively when he should have remained aggressive is the lesson he'll have learned from this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Fair play to Rory for opting out of a WGC event in favour of the French Open. He has always been loyal to the European Tour. Interesting to see who else follows.

Rory McIlroy confirms he will miss the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

HighLine wrote: »
    Fair play to Rory for opting out of a WGC event in favour of the French Open. He has always been loyal to the European Tour. Interesting to see who else follows.

Rory McIlroy confirms he will miss the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational

Great for the European tour. I'd imagine a lot of Europeans will stay and play in France. Bridgestone won't count for Ryder cup qualification so the biggest question will be whether Lowry defends his title or not.

Pity as I love Firestone. Great golf course. Olympics causing havoc to the schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 bkqwerty

I think Lowry has to play in France. Pity not to defend his title but at the end of the day it's not a major and surely making the Ryder Cup team is a big priority for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Does anyone know when Rory plays next. It's very hard to find his schedule online and his official site is never up to date

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Wells Fargo I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Keano wrote: »
    Wells Fargo I believe

Probably then...
    The Players (May12-15)
    Irish Open (May 19-22)
    BMW PGA at Wentworth (May 26-29)
    US Open (June 16-19)

He'll probably skip the Memorial (June 2-5) after 4 weeks straight and the St. Jude Classic (9-12) and practice at Oakmount before the US Open

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

pretty sure they are heading stateside on Monday, so next week I imagine

• Advertisement

Ok thanks

Seve any truth in the rumour Rory is trying very very hard to convince tiger to play the Irish open?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ForeRight wrote:
    Seve any truth in the rumour Rory is trying very very hard to convince tiger to play the Irish open?

I've heard that too but I wonder does Dubai DF think its worth the appearance fee

First Up wrote: »
    I've heard that too but I wonder does Dubai DF think its worth the appearance fee

Seems to be all the chatter in the golf circles but yeah it's hard to see it happening

I would imagine there would be no hello money.. just an agreement that Rory would play in Tiger's charity event. Anyway.. can't see it happening.

HighLine wrote:
    I would imagine there would be no hello money.. just an agreement that Rory would play in Tiger's charity event. Anyway.. can't see it happening.

Mmmm. Not sure Tiger is all that philanthropic these days. He has bills to pay and sponsors to satisfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I imagine Nike won't exactly be jumping for joy over this

http://www.golfpunkhq.com/news/article/why-rory-wont-be-wearing-nike-at-the-olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I imagine Nike won't exactly be jumping for joy over this

http://www.golfpunkhq.com/news/article/why-rory-wont-be-wearing-nike-at-the-olympics

They were given the opportunity to sponsor Ireland and turned it down, their own fault imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

ForeRight wrote: »
    Ok thanks

No. Not even aware of the rumour

Seve OB wrote:
    No. Not even aware of the rumour

Then you are in the minority. Circulating widely.

Then you are in the minority. Circulating widely.

Oh, I've seen it alright. It's just media hype though

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote:
    Oh, I've seen it alright. It's just media hype though

Then you are hardly "unaware" of the rumour.

I've seen nothing about it in the media but I have heard it said by people in the game.

Then you are hardly "unaware" of the rumour.

I've seen nothing about it in the media but I have heard it said by people in the game.

Foreright asked me a question. He knows where the answer came from. It wasn't me, but someone who knows a lot more than the rest of us

Seve OB wrote:
    Foreright asked me a question. He knows where the answer came from. It wasn't me, but someone who knows a lot more than the rest of us

So yesterday you were not even aware of the rumour and today you are in the know.

Grand so.

I'm always in the know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Some weird passive aggressive posts there.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Some weird passive aggressive posts there.

I'm sorry I asked the question now.

haha. jeez, after all that, I hope you knew it wasn't me who answered your question and you realised I directed it at someone on your behalf!

anyway, the short and curlys of it, i doubt very much the tiger will be roaring in kildare in a couple of weeks time

Big week for Rory coming up at Quail Hollow. Last year he absolutely dominated the field and it's the last time I can remember Rory at his absolute best. Hoping for a similar week this year so his season can get the kick-start it needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

I'm glad you did :pac::pac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So this is still the Rory thread?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement