Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

First Up wrote: »
    I'd say he is sticking around. Clubhouse leader and those behind not exactly tearing it up.

Was just thinking that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Seve OB wrote:
    Was just thinking that myself

They can probably fire up the jet now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

First Up wrote: »
    They can probably fire up the jet now!

Think he may have heard you

https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/739564376588464128

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Anyone watching his win in 2011 US Open on Sky there now? His wedges were awesome, hadn't realised he was so good from the 100ish range at one time.
    I know I'll get shot down but he could have another one or two majors under his belt with those irons. All in the name of millions:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Anyone watching his win in 2011 US Open on Sky there now? His wedges were awesome, hadn't realised he was so good from the 100ish range at one time.
    I know I'll get shot down but he could have another one or two majors under his belt with those irons. All in the name of millions:-(

You didn't, did you?
    Let me re-read that......

Yes you did!!!!

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote:
    You didn't, did you? Let me re-read that......

Yes you did!!!!

You're right!!!

Who heard of Nike before Rory starting using them anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

You're right!!!

Who heard of Nike before Rory starting using them anyway?

Tiger maybe?

He had long hair back then maybe having his hair short now could be the problem?
    Or his muscles?
    Or his caddy?

Maybe he changed his deodorant or something who knows?
    Either way his wedge play was far superior when he was playing Titleist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

The Rory and the Olympics issue is done thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Are you serious?a massive golf story broke this morning and by 2 o'clock you are saying it's done and people can't talk about it anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

charlieIRL wrote: »
    The Rory and the Olympics issue is done thanks

Yeah he is looking for a way out and he took it .

Population of Brazil: 205,338,000
    Incidents of Zica: 4800 per month
    Chances of getting Zica during a month are minimal .002%!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Are you serious?a massive golf story broke this morning and by 2 o'clock you are saying it's done and people can't talk about it anymore?
    Firstly, don't question a mod's action in thread, if you have an issue drop a PM to us.

Discuss the merits of him not playing but any conspiracy theories post, political posts will be deleted and posters warned/carded.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Should have played.bad form .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm very disappointed about him not playing. I'd say that this is probably a cheapish excuse to get out of the whole thing and for that I can't blame him. He was in a lose lose situation.

That said, this probably won't help him with the fans he lost by declaring for Ireland or those in Ireland who didn't like him anyway.

Anyway, let's hope he gets his form back pronto for the rest of the summer.

Edit: sorry had that posted before I seen the warning but I hope it's not seen as political or a conspiracy theory anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It looks like the Norn Iron fans he was mixing with yesterday may have subjected him to some, ahem, 'gentle persuasion'...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm very disappointed about him not playing. I'd say that this is probably a cheapish excuse to get out of the whole thing and for that I can't blame him. He was in a lose lose situation.

That said, this probably won't help him with the fans he lost by declaring for Ireland or those in Ireland who didn't like him anyway.

Anyway, let's hope he gets his form back pronto for the rest of the summer.

Edit: sorry had that posted before I seen the warning but I hope it's not seen as political or a conspiracy theory anyway.

Disappointed? Yes, but fully understand. If I was him, I wouldn't risk it either. I see something similar happening for Qatar 2022 World Cup. I'm in no doubt, if it's not changed from the summer into the Winter months, players and possibly teams will withdraw due to health risks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

It's funny how he will always have his detractors. Like when he had his foundation host the Irish Open for the first year at RCD - "Ah he is only doing that because it's up the North and he likes the course"

Also funny how the same detractors went quiet this year when Rory not only donated his full prize winning check but also the entire proceeds of his "Evening with Rory" talk in the convention center. Oh yes... and the money went to Irish charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I'm not a mod btw but if people want to discuss the Olympic issue its being discussed over in After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

padohaodha wrote: »
    Should have played.bad form .

I don't think his heart was ever in it and he was just searching for an excuse to get out of it. Perhaps he felt pressurised to declare for Ireland in the first place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It looks like the Norn Iron fans he was mixing with yesterday may have subjected him to some, ahem, 'gentle persuasion'...
    Add to debate or leave. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

HighLine wrote: »
    It's funny how he will always have his detractors. Like when he had his foundation host the Irish Open for the first year at RCD - "Ah he is only doing that because it's up the North and he likes the course"

Also funny how the same detractors went quiet this year when Rory not only donated his full prize winning check but also the entire proceeds of his "Evening with Rory" talk in the convention center. Oh yes... and the money went to Irish charities.......all in the Republic

FYP there for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Would've been great to see him there. Strange decision given he was in Barbados recently on holiday and that has the same risks in terms of the Zika virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

mosesgun wrote: »
    Would've been great to see him there. Strange decision given he was in Barbados recently on holiday and that has the same risks in terms of the Zika virus.

there's maybe a difference between being on hols and being out on the course.

Looking at the Rio course, there is a lot of water on it - 2 decent lakes, as well as it bordering what looks like a lagoon or lake. That could make for a lot of mossies!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It's better that he's not there if he doesn't really want to be there. Let someone who really wants to play take the spot. Why did he make such a big thing about it, he's been deliberating over if for years and then pulls out in the end anyway. Ridiculously boring.

It will be Lowry and McDowell now most likely, they'll do a fine job.

I caught five minutes of Joe Duffy today and what I heard was people slating him. Seemed a lot of "him from up there" type sentiments, but me being from Tyrone and if you read some of my posts int he GAA forum you'd probably say I was paranoid!! :D

Strazdas wrote: »
    I don't think his heart was ever in it and he was just searching for an excuse to get out of it. Perhaps he felt pressurised to declare for Ireland in the first place.

I think the pressure was the same from both ends, and neither would have been a satisfactory solution for him personally or for his fans/potential fans.

I suppose the big thing to keep in mind in all the hullabaloo is that for him the Olympics would have been the 26th most important competition between now and the next Olympics. It would be great to win, but it's not what someone is going to be remembered for as a golfer. The same as football, who even remembers who won the last one but I could probably name every world cup winner in my lifetime.

The Olympics should be the pinnacle of a sport, and if it's not then it shouldn't be in there. Golf and soccer are the two main ones that I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

Without getting into a discussion about the reasons for anyone deciding whether or not to play in this year's Olympics, Jerry Kiernan raised an interesting point on the radio when he suggested that the Olympics should only contain those sports in which winning the Olympics is the pinnacle of a competitor's career.

Until such time as an Olympic Gold Medal in golf is considered equivalent to (or better than) winning a major, maybe it should be restricted to amateur golfers. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

abff wrote: »
    Without getting into a discussion about the reasons for anyone deciding whether or not to play in this year's Olympics, Jerry Kiernan raised an interesting point on the radio when he suggested that the Olympics should only contain those sports in which winning the Olympics is the pinnacle of a competitor's career.

Until such time as an Olympic Gold Medal in golf is considered equivalent to (or better than) winning a major, maybe it should be restricted to amateur golfers. Just a thought.

the same was said of Tennis when it became an Olympic sport until Seffi Graf called it the proudest moment of her career.
    Coming from her it made other tennis players suddenly think well if its good enough for Steffi etc... the same could possibly over time happen in golf but might take a while

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Is this a Rory McIlroy thread?
    Perhaps all this Olympic talk would be more suited to here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057468796

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

You cant hope to introduce a well established, multi billion dollar international sport with hundreds of years of tradition into the Olympics and expect it to be the pinnacle of the sport. That's just bonkers, how could any sensible person think that should be the case?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement