Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

the same was said of Tennis when it became an Olympic sport until Seffi Graf called it the proudest moment of her career.
    Coming from her it made other tennis players suddenly think well if its good enough for Steffi etc... the same could possibly over time happen in golf but might take a while

But the Olympic gold is not the biggest thing in Tennis either.

Alos Graf in wining that gold medal had won the Grand Slam events an Olympic gold , so I'd imagine she was referring to the overall achievement and not the gold medal itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

People still on about this? Logistically, Rio is a mess. It makes no sense to be part of it. It's dodgy for any Olympian, just read up on the calamity that it is. And calamity is their own governments words.

The people of Brazil do not want the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

ixus wrote: »
    People still on about this? Logistically, Rio is a mess. It makes no sense to be part of it. It's dodgy for any Olympian, just read up on the calamity that it is. And calamity is their own governments words.

The people of Brazil do not want the Olympics.

So, should we just forget that the Olympics are taking place and not take any interest in what happens? Mess or not, it still represents the culmination of four years' hard work for a large proportion of the contestants, and a lot more than four years for many of them.

I agree that the same doesn't apply to golfers, but it's not up to us to tell any individual golfer whether or not he or she should take part if they qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

I don't think he'd be the only potential Olympian to have serious doubts about going to Rio. Unfortunately for most of the participants (track and field, swimming, sailing, equestrian, gymnastics etc.), the Olympics is the pinnacle of their careers and one of the only times that sports fans will get to see them perform on TV, so they're forced into it. A good performance there means a huge amount to their futures.

The same cannot be said for golf.

We get to see Rory play almost every weekend each year - sometimes in person (Even I got to see him in person at the K-Club recently!). There's no money incentive in Olympic representation for professional golfers, not that most of them need it. I don't think its a "representing your country" thing either. They already have the world cup, the Ryder Cup / Curtis Cup / Presidents Trophy etc. for representative purposes and it could be argued they represent their countries every week they already play, so there's no huge draw for them there.

To be honest, making the decision he did plucked Rory out of the RoI / NI hole he'd been placed in through no fault of his own. I wouldn't be surprised if, in about two years' time, he said he wasn't interested in being considered for selection at all and that's a pity for him personally, but no one else.

In any case, golf in the Olympics in my opinion should be like boxing in the Olympics - only open to amateurs, not professionals...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Anatom wrote: »
    I don't think he'd be the only potential Olympian to have serious doubts about going to Rio. Unfortunately for most of the participants (track and field, swimming, sailing, equestrian, gymnastics etc.), the Olympics is the pinnacle of their careers and one of the only times that sports fans will get to see them perform on TV, so they're forced into it. A good performance there means a huge amount to their futures.

The same cannot be said for golf.

We get to see Rory play almost every weekend each year - sometimes in person (Even I got to see him in person at the K-Club recently!). There's no money incentive in Olympic representation for professional golfers, not that most of them need it. I don't think its a "representing your country" thing either. They already have the world cup, the Ryder Cup / Curtis Cup / Presidents Trophy etc. for representative purposes and it could be argued they represent their countries every week they already play, so there's no huge draw for them there.

To be honest, making the decision he did plucked Rory out of the RoI / NI hole he'd been placed in through no fault of his own. I wouldn't be surprised if, in about two years' time, he said he wasn't interested in being considered for selection at all and that's a pity for him personally, but no one else.

In any case, golf in the Olympics in my opinion should be like boxing in the Olympics - only open to amateurs, not professionals...

Golf in the Olympics should be open to professionals, but it should be a team event only. That way it could become the pinnacle in team golf. It would be something unique, done in a special format which takes place once every 4 years. There is no individual event, just team medals. This would prevent the likes of McIlroy bailing as they'd be letting their teammates down in such an instance. I think the golfers would be more endeared towards this kind of format.

People mention tennis a lot, but winning an Olympic gold is probably the pinnacle of doubles and mixed doubles tennis. It's the only time you see the top male players play doubles. And regarding soccer, the Olympics is probably the pinnacle of women's soccer. In basketball, the Olympics are the pinnacle of international basketball competition. Same in Ice Hockey. I do not believe any of these sports should lose Olympic status. The problem with golf IMO is simply the format. Make it into a dramatic team event with foreballs, foresomes etc, have no individual competition which would only take away from the team event, and watch the top players show up in Tokyo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Does Rory really need an overweight "body guard" following him around for his round panting trying to keep up? Saw him up at the K-Club... shoving kids hands out of the way as Rory walked behind. Thought it might have just been for the Irish Open but I see the same chap and another at the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Has Rory got the yips lads?

It's actually ridiculously bad at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

:eek:

Very streaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Rory needs advice on how to play golf under pressure,...may not have the sense or humility to realise it, unfortunately.

Boom!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Ah stop lads. He's made some howlers but anyone can see from some of the beauties he has hit today thay he still has it.

Needs to sort the mental element out and he will be fine

201 yards out in the middle of the fairway.

No excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Shocking finish - his head must be fried. Let's hope he gets sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Seems simple enough

But why

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p042w560

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Oblomov wrote:
    Seems simple enough

Oblomov wrote:
    But why

Where do they dig these wannabe nobodies out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ForeRight wrote: »
    Has Rory got the yips lads?

It's actually ridiculously bad at this stage!

When he switched to cack handed his short putting improved immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Where do they dig these wannabe nobodies out of?

There are none so blind, as those who do not wish to see.

Every sports person has a trainer, to correct the bad habits and the develope,ent of errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

First off the tee, close to last in putting. Remarkable really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

I noticed his feet are too close together when he is putting. He needs to widen his stance for better balance and more stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I noticed his feet are too close together when he is putting. He needs to widen his stance for better balance and more stability.

confused.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Theres nothing wrong with his putting technique. There isnt even such a thing as putting technique - all the greats have superficially different methods but it doesnt matter. Missing 4ft putts is only about whats going on in your head. And in Ror's head these days while he is putting, there is just a maelstrom of doubt and distracting thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭redhill

Theres nothing wrong with his putting technique. There isnt even such a thing as putting technique - all the greats have superficially different methods but it doesnt matter. Missing 4ft putts is only about whats going on in your head. And in Ror's head these days while he is putting, there is just a maelstrom of doubt and distracting thoughts.

Don't know where to start with this post, half of it is rubbish and the other half is totally correct.
    Rory's technique is really off at present, check out some of the analysis from respected commentators that the golf channel showed at the weekend, his forward press is now far too pronounced thereby creating too much delofting of the angle during the strike, his point of striking the ball is also very wayward, they analysed loads of putts and the ball is striking really low down on the putter face, leading to very inconsistent strikes
    This was contrasted with others in the "Big 4" , mostly DJ and Day, yes they all have different techniques as you say but each of them has a consistent technique
    If Rory improved in this area, the confidence would naturally come, personally I think he should go to a mallet putter like Jason Day uses, much bigger MOI etc, nothing to back this up just a personal opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I know we'd have never heard of Willett senior if Willett junior wasn't doing the business on the course, but I do like a lot of what he writes.....:)

Pete Willett: Rory McIlroy and my wife
    If When Danny wins gold at the Olympics, it will be difficult to argue with his detractors who will no doubt attribute his success to the number of pullouts. But I’m glad they pulled out, because I don’t watch sport to see people passively trudge through their obligations like fathers at a Wacky Warehouse.

I was in a pub recently when one of these dads recognised me (thank you, Twitter). I have never disagreed more with the inane babbling to which he subjected me:

“If I were given chance t’ be in ‘lympics, I’d do it. I ain’t too stuck up t’ say yes. Not representin’ country is a disgrace. It’d be proudest day of me life.”

He was making a reference to McIlroy’s infamous Royal Troon press conference. Of course this man wouldn’t pass up an opportunity to represent his country at the ‘lympics – he’d weep at the honour of his takeaway naming a kebab after him. It’s a pointless comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

Jawgap wrote: »
    I know we'd have never heard of Willett senior if Willett junior wasn't doing the business on the course, but I do like a lot of what he writes.....:)

Amusing article (although I doubt his wife thinks so).

I think he's Danny's brother, not his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

hopefully Rory reads boards.ie occasionally for some help with his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

abff wrote: »
    Amusing article (although I doubt his wife thinks so).

I think he's Danny's brother, not his father.

Yes, his older brother.

I'm sure his wife has learned to live with his sense of humour at this stage!

So with Nike pulling out of golf equipment barring clothing does that mean Rory can go back to the gear, especially the putter, that he was so good with? If so how soon can he do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jayop wrote: »
    So with Nike pulling out of golf equipment barring clothing does that mean Rory can go back to the gear, especially the putter, that he was so good with? If so how soon can he do that?

whenever he wants to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Seve OB wrote: »
    whenever he wants to

Exactly.. with no Nike tour trucks on site as well, he wouldn't be expected to use their equipment. I'd imagine we will see the scotty the next time he's out. Not sure about the rest.

• Advertisement

Nice one. Did you guys hear that piece on Newstalk about him having the Scotty in the locker t the Open? I was really wondering about that story that Rory would be so fast and loose to show a player who does so much TV work a putter while under a massive contract with Nike.

This is probably a stupid question, but does that mean his sponsorship deal is gone too? Would Nike have to honour it or will he need to look for a new one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement