Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I am sure he will never be stuck for money, but surely he wasnt going to get the same big deal from Nike renewed. He just isnt worth it. Too streaky performance wise and whether he can get to number one ranking in the world again, let alone for a sustained period is a serious doubt.
    Nike got their return from the big investment in the Tiger phenomenon, but no golfer is likely to repeat that high world profile in a good while. Rory is a multi major winning world top 10 golfer. And I would guess, likely to win two or three more. So very attractive. But no all dominating game changer like Tiger. So not worth more than half a dozen others, certainly no long term, and certainly not at multiples of their contracts. In a way, he is in a weakish position looking for another club deal from the others, although keeping a Nike apparel deal will likely still be lucrative but not stratospheric like the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

I am sure he will never be stuck for money, but surely he wasnt going to get the same big deal from Nike renewed. He just isnt worth it. Too streaky performance wise and whether he can get to number one ranking in the world again, let alone for a sustained period is a serious doubt.
    Nike got their return from the big investment in the Tiger phenomenon, but no golfer is likely to repeat that high world profile in a good while. Rory is a multi major winning world top 10 golfer. And I would guess, likely to win two or three more. So very attractive. But no all dominating game changer like Tiger. So not worth more than half a dozen others, certainly no long term, and certainly not at multiples of their contracts. In a way, he is in a weakish position looking for another club deal from the others, although keeping a Nike apparel deal will likely still be lucrative but not stratospheric like the last one.

What?

He could easily get back to world number one and will in my opinion do this in the next year or so. How is he in a weakish position with regards to club makers wanting to sponsor him... they will beat a path to his door. Agreed he wont get the same money but dont think for a second he wont have offers from every manafacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,914 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

hopefully Rory reads boards.ie occasionally for some help with his game.

Sad thing about this is you don't need to be an expert to see his putting is a mess, why he doesn't hire a putting coach is beyond me.

Hopefully the new putter works.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Sad thing about this is you don't need to be an expert to see his putting is a mess, why he doesn't hire a putting coach is beyond me.

Isn't he working with Dave Stockton? Anyway... hard to coach a mental issue out of his system.

Hopefully the switch of putters might start to get things back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Tyson Fury wrote: »

he had one
    he now has a new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Seve OB wrote: »
    he had one
    he now has a new one

Since when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

HighLine wrote: »
    Isn't he working with Dave Stockton? Anyway... hard to coach a mental issue out of his system.

Hopefully the switch of putters might start to get things back on track.

Something as simple as that could really make a huge difference. As you say, it's all mental with putting.

Jayop wrote: »
    Something as simple as that could really make a huge difference. As you say, it's all mental with putting.

Stockton indicated on Off the Ball last week that he hadn't worked with him in the last year. He certainly hasn't seen him this year in a coaching capacity.

A big donation for worthy causes. Fair play to Rory.

https://twitter.com/roryfoundation/status/765505713296797696

Fantastic sum of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why not top it up to a million though?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Thargor wrote: »

Why are some people never happy? :confused:

Its an amazing amount of money and i doubt its going to stop here.

why bother giving them any of his prize money! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

Because a million would look contrived and might act as a disincentive for people to contribute to next year's fundraising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

#karma

Letree wrote: »
    #karma

He didn't leave it up long. Deleted already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

What was deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

He tweeted #karma this afternoon.
    Many are linking it to Paddy Barnes and Conlons defeats in the boxing but I'd be suspicious of the timing.
    He tweeted it just after the news of Pat Hickey broke and Rory was at war with him during the whole Olympic fiasco

Would be nearly certain it was in relation to Pat Hickey.

Of course it's not the boxers. Apart from Barnes taking the piss out of him what reason would he have to say anything about them. It's Hickey.

• Advertisement

OK, until we know, we are just speculating about McIlroy. If it was aimed at Hickey then its in very poor taste imho and not something we would expect from one of our top sports stars.

Whatever way it goes, its one big mess with Hickey & CO and an embarrassment to the country. Thread here about it if ye want to post more.

Lets move on here though.

When's he out next does anyone know, and where would one find a players calendar of planned events?

charlieIRL wrote: »
    OK, until we know, we are just speculating about McIlroy. If it was aimed at Hickey then its in very poor taste imho and not something we would expect from one of our top sports stars.

Whatever way it goes, its one big mess with Hickey & CO and an embarrassment to the country. Thread here about it if ye want to post more.

Lets move on here though.

Don't think it's bad taste if Hickey suggested that the reason golfers were pulling out of the Olympics was because "there's no money in a gold medal". A nice retort from Rory.. he should have left it up.

(P.S. Don't agree with directing us to After Hours)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

HighLine wrote: »
    Don't think it's bad taste if Hickey suggested that the reason golfers were pulling out of the Olympics was because "there's no money in a gold medal". A nice retort from Rory.. he should have left it up.

(P.S. Don't agree with directing us to After Hours)
    If you have a problem with a mod decision then feel free to PM us. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Have to say mods the golf forum resembles North Korea at times.

This is the Rory Mcilroy thread and we're discussing something Rory has said.

This is the Rory Mcilroy thread and we're discussing something Rory has said.

Something he posted and quickly deleted, would he be as quick to delete something if it wasn't inappropriate?

Also, we're not forcing you to post, If you don't like the way the place is run..........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Are you accusing Keano and Charlie of secret missile testing?!

I can't speak for any nuclear ambitions but as mods the lads are doing a grand aul job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Does anybody know when Rory is next scheduled to play?

I'm excited to see his equipment choice

ForeRight wrote: »
    Does anybody know when Rory is next scheduled to play?

I'm excited to see his equipment choice

You won't see it till next year. I believe he will be playing with his Nike clubs and balls till then.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    You won't see it till next year. I believe he will be playing with his Nike clubs and balls till then.

Not even his putter? Seems crazy not to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement