Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

The Rory of old has shown up today, thank god.

Great way to spend a Monday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

ForeRight wrote: »
    So impressive from Rory.
    Casey opened the door of course but Rory had the pressure piled on from early on.
    Imagine how good he would be if he stopped going the gym, sacked his caddy and played with Titleist.
    :D

You just won't let it go. :P

A new putter and a new putting coach was all he really needed. Scary good for the last few days and hopefully a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Casey has a (long) chance for eagle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Seve OB wrote: »
    not quite there yet :D
    casey can eagle the last for a playoff

Wiil be some putt if he makes it from there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

great win for rory..some last round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

excellent
    and a great time to get his game together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

First win on the PGA Tour for Rory in 477 days! When he started out on Friday 4 over thru 3 holes, no one would have given him a chance. His putting this week has been outstanding. Great to have him back at the top where he belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

It really is all about his putting. Once that's on, no one can keep up with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Well that was a shock to the system. McIlroy threatening the hole from both in and outside 6 foot! When he's on he's untouchable but boy is he hard to watch when not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Great to see him get a win this year and what a round. You can tell by the way he's walking if he's on it.

Even if just becomes an average putter, I don't think anyone can touch him. Long game is just so far ahead of anyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

frink wrote: »
    Great to see him get a win this year and what a round. You can tell by the way he's walking if he's on it.

Even if just becomes an average putter, I don't think anyone can touch him. Long game is just so far ahead of anyone else

2nd win this year iirc. Irish open too.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Jayop wrote: »
    2nd win this year iirc. Irish open too.

Yes, completely slipped my mind! :D

frink wrote: »
    Yes, completely slipped my mind! :D

How could you forget those two approach shots? ;)

Back up to No. 3 in the World rankings. Leapfrogged Stenson and Spieth. Also 4th in the FedEx cup, so should be in for the final tournament too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,916 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some turnaround from Rors, obviously the turning point was him logging in here and getting all the free tips.

I'd hate to think that the equipment has held him back over the last few years. Nike leaving could be a blessing in disguise.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Some turnaround from Rors, obviously the turning point was him logging in here and getting all the free tips.

He told me not to say anything till just now. He saw my post and got in touch Wednesday. I gave him a little nugget of wisdom and said he'd take it on board. Looks like he stuck with his old ways start of day1 but when it obviously wasn't working he took my advice and turned things around!

I'm on my 10th cocktail outside a bar in benalmedena when he rang to thank me. Asked me to name my price for the tip. I told him no fee, I was just happy to see him putting well again.

I hope I don't regret that in the morning. .......

Rikand wrote: »
    He told me not to say anything till just now. He saw my post and got in touch Wednesday. I gave him a little nugget of wisdom and said he'd take it on board. Looks like he stuck with his old ways start of day1 but when it obviously wasn't working he took my advice and turned things around!

I'm on my 10th cocktail outside a bar in benalmedena when he rang to thank me. Asked me to name my price for the tip. I told him no fee, I was just happy to see him putting well again.

I hope I don't regret that in the morning. .......

Coco's?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jayop wrote: »
    Coco's?

Irish times. I am drinking a coco loco right now though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rory continuing from where he left it on Monday. 3 under thru 6 putting nicely.

• Advertisement

Rory continuing from where he left it on Monday. 3 under thru 6 putting nicely.
    Still 3 under. Had a bogey and another birdie. Play stopped due to darkness as he finished out the tenth.

He's leaving himself with a lot of long birdie putts. He's getting them nice and close so he's not risking any bogies really, but he needs to get a bit closer to really convert the chances he's giving himself with his long drives.

He doesn't need to win and most likely probably doesn't want to win this week!

A steady performance is all that's required to keep him inside the top 5 for the final week. That's the one to win

A steady performance is all that's required to keep him inside the top 5 for the final week. That's the one to win
    Whether he has a win in his sights or not, I suspect that he would want to play his best and if that's good enough for a win then so be it.

He doesn't strike me as a guy who wouldn't want a win. He's had very few this season.

Whether he has a win in his sights or not, I suspect that he would want to play his best and if that's good enough for a win then so be it.

He doesn't strike me as a guy who wouldn't want a win. He's had very few this season.

without a doubt. I'm just saying, the one to win is next week.
    to win 2 weeks on the trot is tough going. to win three weeks on the trot is savage going. mind you he did do it before... didn't he? 2012 PGA and first 2 playoffs, or was there something in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

to win 2 weeks on the trot is tough going. to win three weeks on the trot is savage going. mind you he did do it before... didn't he? 2012 PGA and first 2 playoffs, or was there something in between?

There is a week off before the tour championship

• Registered Users Posts: 17,916 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Why would he not want to win?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

Think it might have been 2014 Open, Bridgestone and USPGA, but they weren't consecutive weeks IIRC. I think there was a week between the Open and the Bridgestone maybe.

But you're right, 3 weeks in a row would be savage going alright !

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Why would he not want to win?

OK, maybe I should have been a bit more precise in my meaning. Of course I'm sure he would want to win, but given a choice I'm sure he would prefer to win the fed ex cup. my point was as that's the following tournament, it would be serious difficult going to win 3 tournaments on the trot.

I had forgotten they introduced the week off before the tour championship so it would give one week break, but even still, very difficult to win three tournies on the trot. But if anyone can do it, he is certainly up there with a shout.

OK, maybe I should have been a bit more precise in my meaning. Of course I'm sure he would want to win, but given a choice I'm sure he would prefer to win the fed ex cup. my point was as that's the following tournament, it would be serious difficult going to win 3 tournaments on the trot.

I had forgotten they introduced the week off before the tour championship so it would give one week break, but even still, very difficult to win three tournies on the trot. But if anyone can do it, he is certainly up there with a shout.
    I understood where you were coming from, but I just reckon that if his game is good enough, winning is almost a byproduct. And his game is starting to look good enough.

I usually go by what the other tour pros think. Paul Casey last week was almost fatalistic about it. As if, once Rory's playing well, mere mortals can't be expected to be on the same page as him ;)

• Advertisement

I understood where you were coming from, but I just reckon that if his game is good enough, winning is almost a byproduct. And his game is starting to look good enough.

I usually go by what the other tour pros think. Paul Casey last week was almost fatalistic about it. As if, once Rory's playing well, mere mortals can't be expected to be on the same page as him ;)

ah well Casey just pure and simple choked last week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement