Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I usually go by what the other tour pros think. Paul Casey last week was almost fatalistic about it. As if, once Rory's playing well, mere mortals can't be expected to be on the same page as him ;)

Casey's not wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bogeyed the par 5 11th back to - 2

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Bogeyed the par 5 11th back to - 2

Shame to bogey that hole - it's ranked the 4th easiest and he only had 97 yards for his approach from the middle of the fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Just heard that he is ranked 1st for average birdies per round on the PGA tour this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

HighLine wrote: »
    Shame to bogey that hole - it's ranked the 4th easiest and he only had 97 yards for his approach from the middle of the fairway.
    That's the part of his game that seems to be letting him down at the moment. He was far too short and three putted it from there. It seems if his approach isn't on the number for one of his wedges he can't seem to get it close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Lads, did Rory finish -4 or -5? Pgatour.com says -4 but I'm sure it said -5 on Sky when he finished at 18. I'm watching with no sound as stuck in work...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He's minus 5 now. Birdied the 11th which is his second hole. Should have birdied the 12th too, but missed a 4 footer. Castro is now on -12. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

He finishes with 3 ordinary rounds after a decent R1, he needs a week off and sleep with the putter.

He'll be outside the top 5 for East Lake but that won't concern him, play his own game and he should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

He'll be outside the top 5 for East Lake but that won't concern him, play his own game and he should be ok.

Well it will probably concern him that he can't win the Fedex but I'm sure he will be well up for East Lake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

First Up wrote: »
    Well it will probably concern him that he can't win the Fedex but I'm sure he will be well up for East Lake.

Oh he can win it. Difference being, if you are in the top 5, then winning the tour championship will guarantee you win the FedEx cup, but if you are outside then you rely on other results going your way. 5th would have been better, but 6th is next best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Is it not that you can only win the $10m bonus if you are placed in the top 5?

I assume that's what we are talking about in terms of winning the tour championship

ForeRight wrote: »
    Is it not that you can only win the $10m bonus if you are placed in the top 5?

I assume that's what we are talking about in terms of winning the tour championship

Well the tour championship is just another event. Any of the 30 strong field can win it. But the fed ex cup is the ranking points and 10m bonus...... Mind you, they all get a bonus, not just the winner.
    So it all boils down to points......and maths :) so if the winner of the tour champ comes from the top 5 they are guaranteed guaranteed to come out on top. But if you are outside the top 5 and win the tour champ, then you would be hoping that the top ranked guys don't finish high enough, so being in 6th place means even if he wins, his destiny is in the hands of others, so to speak.

Exactly as Seve says above. It's really not the end of the world for him.. his only concern, should he win in 2 weeks, would be Dustin Johnson. For Rory to win the FedEx Cup, he needs to win the Tour Championship and Dustin needs to finish 3rd or less.

That's obviously his easiest route.. there will be different permutations should he not win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭bren2001

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well the tour championship is just another event. Any of the 30 strong field can win it. But the fed ex cup is the ranking points and 10m bonus...... Mind you, they all get a bonus, not just the winner.
    So it all boils down to points......and maths :) so if the winner of the tour champ comes from the top 5 they are guaranteed guaranteed to come out on top. But if you are outside the top 5 and win the tour champ, then you would be hoping that the top ranked guys don't finish high enough, so being in 6th place means even if he wins, his destiny is in the hands of others, so to speak.

Explain how that works to me because my understanding is that DJ is 986 points clear of Patrick Reed. If Reed wins next week he gets 2000 pts and if DJ comes second he gets 1800 pts. So it would only be a 200 pt gain and DJ would still win.

Is my understanding horribely wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

bren2001 wrote: »
    Explain how that works to me because my understanding is that DJ is 986 points clear of Patrick Reed. If Reed wins next week he gets 2000 pts and if DJ comes second he gets 1800 pts. So it would only be a 200 pt gain and DJ would still win.

Think it is just a rule that if you are in top 5 and win you win the fed ex....An added bonus to being in top 5 and winning no matter where the others finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

bren2001 wrote:

They do a points re- set before East Lake. Not sure of the exact process but the nett effect is that anyone in places 1-5 wins it all if they win next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

I believe all of the points gained are reset to particular figures based on each player's position in the rankings 1-30 prior to the Tour Championship. It doesn't matter how many points each player is currently separated from every other player. They will all be adjusted to specific fixed amounts. The total points on offer in the final event are such that a win for any player in the top 5 guarantees them the Fedex Cup.

It's a completely artificial setup designed to ensure excitement in the final event. You just have to accept it as it is and don't think that the eventual winner will be the best player over the whole season. Sometimes they will be but more often than not, they won't. Billy Horschel won in 2014 after a very average season until September.

In a hypothetical situation, a player could win every tournament he played in the year up to the BMW Championship (including all 4 Majors), finish 2nd in the Tour Championship and still not win the Fedex Cup (provided the Tour Championship winner was ranked 2-5 overall before the event).

yes, it is all down to a points reset....far right column

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02671.html

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

2 behind ryan Moore and Chappel on -9 with 6 to play in the final fedex cup round...anyone not watching this should be. Poor DJ having a bit of a melt down

• Advertisement

Being discussed in the PGA Tour thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

HighLine wrote: »
    Being discussed in the PGA Tour thread.

Thanks...was wondering why nobody was saying anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Sack that caddy.
    Terrible club selection there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So where will he be in the rankings in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Amazing turnaround in fortunes since he changed the putter

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

vienne86 wrote: »
    So where will he be in the rankings in the morning?

Stays 3rd, but very close to dj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Handy money for JP there. Might get himself a fancy pair of sunglasses.

Would he be on 10% ?

Would he be on 10% ?

Said the following in the other thread..

There has been a few over the years who haven't! Apparently there is no obligation on the player to give 10% of the 10 million.

Full sure JP will get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Would he be on 10% ?

It really depends on his contract. Most of them seem to get different percentages depending on the tournament. Ten percent is usually reserved for the biggest ones. But I'm betting JP is on a nice bonus today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Donkeygonads

Incredible performance by McIlroy ...that was epic !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement