Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Seve OB wrote: »
    Just going to be the next set in his bag. Yuup, looks like woods too

Cheers for the info. Very surprised to hear that... sort of feels like he sold out after the way he had been hitting the M2 but hopefully he's just putting them in the bag like you said and hasn't signed. Hopefully it doesn't include the putter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'd say the clubs are custom built to whatever spec he wants. The brand on them is just a commercial matter.

First Up wrote: »
    I'd say the clubs are custom built to whatever spec he wants. The brand on them is just a commercial matter.

Maybe but he was hitting a non-custom fit M2 15 yards further than a custom fit Nike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yuup. Pricy things too

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

HighLine wrote: »
    Maybe but he was hitting a non-custom fit M2 15 yards further than a custom fit Nike.

Yes he was, if you believe the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

getting married at the weekend

getting married at the weekend

No he is not

Good call Seve ... still surprised at the decision but nothing has been signed apparently.

http://nolayingup.com/2016/12/31/rory-mcilroy-callaway/

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

HighLine wrote:
    Good call Seve ... still surprised at the decision but nothing has been signed apparently.

God is he going to over complicate things this year.

The new raineri (tinkerman)

HighLine wrote: »

http://nolayingup.com/2016/12/31/rory-mcilroy-callaway/

Ah sure I wasn't exactly guessing;)

Interesting there about the Nike ball though not working with the new irons, he had planned to keep the Nike ball an apparently there is sufficient stock for at least a year, so we may see it materialise again, or else Gerry will have a massive stash in his bag :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Lots of hype on the new Callaway Epic and Epic Subzero being launched at the end of Jan, will be interesting to see how goes with it - if the hype is correct it will be longer than the M2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

God is he going to over complicate things this year.

The new raineri (tinkerman)
    I wouldn't think so. Signing the deal with Nike meant he had to use Nike clubs whether they worked for him or not. Now he's spending a year looking for the clubs best suited to his game. Imo, that's the best way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Interesting there about the Nike ball though not working with the new irons, he had planned to keep the Nike ball an apparently there is sufficient stock for at least a year, so we may see it materialise again, or else Gerry will have a massive stash in his bag :D

Three year stash apparently! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Three year stash apparently!

Surely that depends how fast you lose them?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Surely that depends how fast you lose them?

For me, 3 year stash - 2 rounds.

Rory...probably a bit longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

A 3 year stash for a professional golfer is likely in the thousands of balls I'd assumed when I read that. I can't imagine theyre running up the driving range before every event gathering up all the balls they are knocking up there, that alone would account for a couple of hundred per touney.

Even playing a round, I'm sure they probably don't use the same ball for more than a few holes as once there's a single imperfection they'll dump it. I know if I take a new ball out and hit it about 15 times there will be at least one little fault on the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

From a few pros that I know it's common to change every 3 holes, imperfections or not. Not everyone is the same but many follow that.

As for the ball, another qualified club fitter I know swears by matching the brand of ball to the brand of clubs. Driver most importantly. His reckoning is that's what they use during R&D. Hard to argue with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Jayop wrote: »
    A 3 year stash for a professional golfer is likely in the thousands of balls I'd assumed when I read that. I can't imagine theyre running up the driving range before every event gathering up all the balls they are knocking up there, that alone would account for a couple of hundred per touney.

Even playing a round, I'm sure they probably don't use the same ball for more than a few holes as once there's a single imperfection they'll dump it. I know if I take a new ball out and hit it about 15 times there will be at least one little fault on the ball.
    Balls are provided on the driving range by the tournament organisers.

Balls are provided on the driving range by the tournament organisers.

Doesn't seem very clever to practice with one ball and play with another though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Doesn't seem very clever to practice with one ball and play with another though?

They're not really practising on the range at the tournament, just warming up. A premium ball from any of the manufacturer's would suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Senecio wrote: »
    qualified club fitter I know swears by matching the brand of ball to the brand of clubs. Driver most importantly. His reckoning is that's what they use during R&D. Hard to argue with him.

Would have thought this makes perfect sense for most mid to high h/caps. The club manufacture test the clubs with their own balls so the flight and carry should be better with it's own brand. But I would make a guess that the lower handicappers/Pro's prefer better spin and softer ball for around the greens and would give up a few yards off the tee for this advantage. So maybe ball suit with the wedge is more important?

I suppose so. I had always assumed they'd want to use their own brand but it was nothing more than an assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

You do see caddies throwing out a few balls they play with during the round towards the end of their warm up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

They would provide various brands

AGC wrote: »
    They would provide various brands

I had also assumed that but they won't be able to provide a discontinued brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I had also assumed that but they won't be able to provide a discontinued brand.

:confused:

He is using the ProV1x

AGC wrote: »
    :confused:

He is using the ProV1x

Really? Well that changes the whole thing and makes the last page or so pointless. I was going by Seve's post below saying he was planning to keep using the nike ball.

http://www.golfbirdie.ie/rory-mcilroy-decided-clubs-will-use-nike-move-away-golf-equipment/
    Rory McIlroy switches to Callaway woods and irons, Titleist ball and wedges, Odyssey putter”

According to a report from NoLayingUp.com, McIlroy is switching to Callaway woods (the new GBB Epic Sub Zero) and irons (Apex MB), an Odyssey putter and Titleist ball (Pro V1x) and wedges (Titleist Vokey).

“I want to play the new ProV1x ball and I know the Callaway driver works the best with it,” McIlroy told the site. “I also know my Nike irons don’t work as well with the Titleist ball because of the groove format. Too spinny, and a loss of distance.” GolfDigest

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

From same article:

"He was noncommittal about his plans moving forward, ostensibly leaving the door open to further tinkering throughout his arsenal in the weeks and months ahead."

No contracts signed so just trying different stuff - could well go back to the nike ball at some point.

• Advertisement

could well go back to the nike ball at some point.

very possible as he does like it, but I guess it will all depend on the clubs he uses

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement